Tuesday 28 May 2024

The Church of St Peter, Yoxford

 The very last church in Suffolk.............. but only alphabetically!

Yoxford is a busy village, traffic passing through on two main roads and I've been through hundreds of times without stopping but as they were having a flower festival I knew the church would be open so went for a look round.

This old road sign shows that it's on a road to London 93 miles, Framlingham and Yarmouth


One of the Suffolk churches with a spire, this is a large church in the centre of the village. 

(Any spots on the photos are because it was raining - of course it was raining - it seems to be everlasting rain this year!)


Unusually it has no porch and the door is straight into the church, which is very wide and full of columns, arches and beams. The tables and chairs in the photos are because they were serving coffee and cakes. And I'd gone without breakfast so I could partake here.



The flower festival was different to the majority as it just had vases of flowers, no theme and no added extras. The font has good carvings


A lady was playing the organ which is in the very wide chancel, with quite fancy choir stalls on each side


Stained glass in the East window dates from 1920 and is also a war memorial remembering people from the village who died during WWI



Several of the original brasses have been taken from where they would have been - on the floor - and moved to the walls to preserve them


Side chapel altar in the north aisle


Lots of monuments to members of the Blois family



Many coats of arms and behind them under the tower you can see all the bell ringing ropes. The bells were being rung when I arrived but before I could get a photo they were ringing down each bell and finishing.

Some of the flushwork of flints making patterns by the door


Much more information on the Suffolk Churches Website

Back Soon
Sue


13 comments:

  1. Wow-what a lovely and interesting church. I love the simple flowers too. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at the flower arrangements as they were so simple compared to some I've seen at flower festivals

      Delete
  2. I love the simplicity of this church, it's pristine ... that was the word that immediately sprang to mind when I saw the third photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised how big it was inside but Yoxford would have been an important village in the past

      Delete
  3. I like your posts about the churches you visit. Lots of history in those walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it's interesting to find out about churches that I knew nothing about before I started my visits

      Delete
  4. The spire is quite impressive and I love the brasses relocated to the wall. Bell ringing and organ music is always lovely. The single vase flower arrangements would be considered the standard here. When I attend the Boston Flower Show, it is all single vase arrangements. Arrangements can be Japanese to Victorian. The garden landscape displays each generally have a theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have many churches with spires in Suffolk so it's quite special and a large church too.

      Delete
  5. Fascinating. I love being able to see around these old buildings through your eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a gorgeous church. Love the spire.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another nice visit to a Suffolk church. I really like the flintwork, it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete