Saturday 25 May 2024

Another Saturday and A Bank Holiday Weekend.

 This week...............Yet another huge downpouring of rain for many hours on Tuesday and overnight into Wednesday. Water across the road in many places again and with it being fairly warm the grass has gone crazy. I've been trying to keep it short so as not to need BiL with his petrol mower to come and rescue it again.  Other happenings this week were getting my eyes tested and looking after the nearest grandchildren for an hour and not much else. I'm struggling through a crime fiction library book by Amy Myers - it's not quite cosy but heading that way and is a bit boring but I want to finish it to see if all becomes clear at the end.

So............Today is the start of the end of May Bank Holiday weekend and it's the beginning of half term week. Usually I would be talking about going to the big Suffolk Agricultural Show on Wednesday but I decided to have a year off going this year and do some other stuff instead.

There's a church I've not visited that has a Flower festival going on so it's guaranteed to be open, then the 1940's days at the Middy railway museum that is just across the fields from my previous home, and car boot sales of course.

Speaking of boot sales these cards were all I came home with the other Sunday ............5 cards for 50p each. Although when I put my glasses on and read the words of the 'Sister' card I had to put it straight in the charity shop bag. Much too sugary and soppy!

This week I've been grateful for

  • Went to the opticians for an eye test and nothing had changed since 3 years ago - Good news
  • There was a bit of warmth among the rainy days
  • Trying out a different sort of bread in the bread machine
  • Discovering why the lights were flashing on my coffee machine (it needed routine de-scaling)


I wonder how long before they start building here? The harris/heras fencing has gone up. It's only a little way from home. When I moved here 3 years ago there was no mention of new houses on this bit of land, now there is permission for 28 and plans for 40 more later. I may have to move again!!


Back Monday
Sue




17 comments:

  1. Your weather sounds a bit like what we are having, even though we are in different seasons. I really dislike seeing open farmland disappearing under more housing, but I guess people have to live somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around every village fields that once produced food are now used for housing - it's worrying

      Delete
  2. Your blog is not showing up in my reading list this morning. Blogger are doing this randomly. I noticed another blogger mentioned "missing blogs" from her reading list recently. I thought you hadn't written anything. It is raining here again today although we have missed the flash flooding that Diss had. The forecast for today is 100% chance of rain all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm Here!!
      No boot sales - annoyingly it just keeps raining!

      Delete
    2. Your blog hasn't been showing up for me either. I'm glad you're still there!

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you've got the dreaded "build everywhere" virus in your locality as well. Around here, every small plot is being commandeered for building, fields around villages are disappearing under ever more housing, but no sign anywhere of the supporting infrastructure - roads that cannot cope with the traffic, no schools, GPs, dentists etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost every village has had new building around the outer edges of the village . Thankfully at least here we still have school, doctors and shop but new building is making more water run off and more flooding

      Delete
  4. Ooohh that must have been a nasty shock, to realise that the open land was going to have many houses built on it. I hope they won't be close enough to affect your home and garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing was said anywhere about this planned housing estate although I couldn't have moved anywhere else as there was nothing much for sale when I moved.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you have some fun activities planned and hope the weather stays nice. We have nice weather here so I hope to get out and pull some weeds in my garden and maybe a walk somewhere lovely!?! Enjoy your weekend, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weather isn't as the forecast originally said - but yet more rain - annoyingly means cancelled boot sales!

      Delete
  6. Enjoy your visits if the weather holds. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, it is sad when open space is sold off and lots of new homes are built. One hopes that community officials try to maintain a good amount of open green space. Our rain has subsided and today is clear and sunny. The trees are in full leaf and everything is lush and green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily the edges of the village are still fields - but the village keeps getting bigger

      Delete
  8. There's more fencing gone up along the main road near us now, yet another new estate to join the many we already have. If only they built doctors practices, schools and other amenities at the same time it might not feel quite so bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A small new estate at the other side of the village put in bus stops where the estate road joins the road into the village - but there are no buses!

      Delete