Saturday 4 May 2024

The Early May Bank Holiday Weekend

For Star Wars fans........................ May the 4th be with you! - and if you aren't a fan then you'll wonder what the idiot woman is talking about!

I can't remember what Easter Bank Holiday was like weather wise without looking back on the blog, but it was probably cold and wet.

Hopefully  this Early May Bank Holiday weekend is good as there are several things happening in villages around that need dry weather to be successful. A bluebell wood open, a flower festival, a Tudor reconstruction day, car-boot sales (of course) and village yard sale. Not sure I shall get to all of them and after it poured with rain all day yesterday some might be a bit soggy underfoot.

Other than yesterdays wash out, this week has been a good week, much better than the week before when I felt a bit under the weather on a couple of days and missed the Over 60's meeting and wasn't able to look after the Grandchildren after school one day - very annoying.

The World Snooker Championship on TV has been interesting as so many of the top seeded players were knocked out, and only one - the 12th seed-  got to the semis. More importantly in the World of Sport is the chance this weekend for Ipswich Town Football Club to get automatic promotion to the Premier League - that means a lot for the Town in many ways. If they end up in the play-offs for the the chance to go up then I fear a match against our Norfolk rivals - Norwich City FC - in which Norwich will win, get promoted and be able to gloat for another year!

Thursday evening was eventful as a fire engine raced by the bungalow and then 30 minutes later two more with blue lights went through the village, then an ambulance went by one way and another a few minutes later going the other way. I wondered what on earth was happening. Heard later that the fire engines were for a fire in a commercial building  a few miles away but no idea what the ambulances were doing - don't think they were connected to the fire.

I've been grateful this week for.............

  • Some good fine, sunny and warm days at last
  • Being able to get the pots for the greenhouse plants filled and ready
  • Planting out the two squash plants and getting them cat and bird proofed
  • More leek plants found in the pet/garden shop in Diss, planted out and protected as above
  • Getting the sweetcorn seeds sown in their peat pots in the greenhouse. 
  • Lots of good reading
  • Finding a church open to visit after finding one locked
  • Getting a 'foot lady' to sort out a problem - no more info on that one - Ugh!
  • Sorting more photos from their old albums into the new storage boxes.
Here's a favourite - me on my big trike aged about 4. I didn't have a two wheeled bike (and no such thing as stabilisers)  until quite late as there was nowhere to learn to ride it. Our house was right beside a busy A road and the back yard was a rough builders yard - as you can see in the photo.


I'm  shall return on Monday with some more old photos - you have been warned!
Have a good Bank Holiday Weekend for everyone here and a good ordinary weekend for those elsewhere.

Sue 

42 comments:

  1. Your comment on Ipswich Town FC reminds me of one of my uncles, who was an avid follower of Ipswich in the 1960s when they had their run up to topping the old First Division under Alf Ramsey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept a scrapbook of cuttings from the local paper for many years in the 60's - football was more interesting then and we all knew all their players

      Delete
  2. Hi Sue, we’re of a similar age so a lot of your memories make me smile. I, too, had a trike (blue) which I loved and lots of the kids in the street would tear up and down on them. But I can remember feeling a wee bit envious of one lass whose trike had a BOOT on it! Never seen one like it. But it was Racing Green so on the whole I preferred mine! J’nan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved bombing around the back yard on my bike - didn't have any children to play with but still had fun

      Delete
  3. I never learned to ride a bike till I was 11. But I had a little trike (with a boot) It was dark red

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very odd but I don't remember the process of learning to ride a two wheeler at all but I know I had to ride to the village when I was 11 to catch the school bus

      Delete
  4. What Ipswich have achieved this season is remarkable. Promotion would top it off nicely. I was a long time learning to ride a bike and might be riding around with stabilisers still, if it were not that my little brother learned to ride very quickly. So I jumped on my bike and found it was easy enough once challenged in that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ipswich promoted!! Very good news for the town.

      Delete
  5. That looks just like our trike - we fastened string on the handlebars for reins and called it Champion. We even scared the daylights out of Mum but making it 'rear' on the back wheels.
    The basket soon fell off but it did have a boot so that was OK (we said). xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your old photos!
    I had a bike and my sister a trike one Christmas, ISTR.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a big tricycle - your feet didn't touch the ground:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It went quite fast too with the big wheels

      Delete
  8. Love the photo of you on your trike - we only had bikes! I taught myself to ride mine, with grim determination - I fell off and had skinned knees several times but doggedly got back on it until I could balance. I was 9, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no memories of learning to ride my two wheeler at all which is very odd

      Delete
  9. Ahh memories! I had a trike just like yours and there was a sloping grassy lane behind our terraced back gardens. So I used to gather speed coming down the lane . . . and sometimes couldn't stop, so was brought to a dramatic stop by the hedge along the end of the lane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All good fun. The only sloping bit I had ran down the side of the house, over a concrete slab bridge with ditch on each side and onto the main A road so I don't think I got up any speed there!

      Delete
  10. Great photo. Like others above we had a trike just like that growing up. And I didn't have a two wheeler until my 11th birthday, it was secondhand and Mum and Dad were doing it up a bit the night before.......I had gone downstairs unable to sleep for excitement and there they were paintbrushes in hand 😀 It was a great bike that served me well for years.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's odd that I don't remember learning to ride a two wheeler but I know I too had one for my 11th birthday as I needed it to get to the school bus in the next village

      Delete
  11. I wonder if this Bank holiday is what used to be Whitsun? It sounds about the right time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This BH was a new addition for May Day I think the other one at the end of May was the Whitson break

      Delete
  12. I am glad to hear you are feeling much better. Hopefully the weather for the long weekend will cooperate for all the lovely events. That is a great photo of you. Our tricycles and bikes were so much fun. At that age, we were all enjoying our bikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had a few days unwell but completely fine again now - just a blip

      Delete
  13. Glad you are feeling better and the nice weather will give you a chance to be outside. I'll watch 2 of my grandsons today and hope to walk to the park so they can swing and slide and climb while I sit and watch and laugh at their tricks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am glad you are feeling better. Nice weather is always a boost. Love that photo of you and the bike.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really needed some sun - everyone was quite fed up with the rain

      Delete
  15. Ipswich made it!! So excited. What a boost!
    Sounds like there's quite a bit going on this weekend. Hopefully the weather will be good so you can get out.
    I like the photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good news for the town as well as football fans - Son said season tickets sold out weeks ago in anticipation!

      Delete
  16. Today, after a friend's funeral (that lasted 2.5 hours! Lots of memories from a full life.); we took in some garage sales. Dh was looking for new bikes for the grandkids. All we found was a cracked cooler for $1.00 that he will tape. I looked at some cast iron skillets but not for $10 and made in Taiwan; and some American made baskets but not for $20-30.
    Yesterday we attended Grandparent's Day at the little grands school and then brought them out to the farm to play. We all were very tired by the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of Grandparents Day - looking after small children is very tiring now I'm old!

      Delete
  17. That's a lovely photo! (Gen)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a lovely photograph. You haven't changed a bit. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Grandparents' Day is an opportunity for fee-paying schools (although it is possible others do it too) to host all the grandparents and then ask them for a donation to the school. When I lived in New York, so many people started families late that often the grandparents were deceased or too elderly to travel far distances so it was called "Grandparents and Special Visitors Day" and I was often a special visitor for my nieces and nephews. I always hoped I would meet an affluent single uncle but no such luck.

    Glad you are feeling better and hope the weather improves. My lawn needs mowing but I got my hair done yesterday so am not doing anything to spoil it before I have to.

    Constance

    ReplyDelete
  20. In fairness, most of the grandparents love visiting the children's school, hearing what they have been working on, admire artwork hung about the classroom, possibly tell stories about their youth, meet the teachers. However, my father used to joke about how quickly the plea for funds came after the visit, because of course they have your contact info once you visit.

    Once I took an early flight from Boston to New York for once of these, planning to sleep on the plane, then put on some makeup and contact lenses when I arrived (for the affluent uncle - see above). Then, to my horror, I heard the pilot welcome everyone on board and realized it was a guy I had dated who had broken up with me when I gave him a book for Christmas. My heart was not broken, I was more annoyed - but no way was I going to look half asleep when I disembarked so I had to put makeup on during a very bumpy flight!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love sorting out old photos and this one of you on the bike is adorable! I'll look forward to today's post. (I'm still catching up!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the photo of you on your trike, I always wanted a basket for the front or back of mine, but I never got one.

    ReplyDelete