Wednesday 10 July 2024

5th Summer Book + Summer of Sport

 First of all have to say thank you for all the comments yesterday about Redgrave Church - it's quite a special church. I keep being surprised at all I'm finding out about bits of history of Suffolk with my church adventures - I'm glad I started.


The 5th book with Summer in the title for Reading The Seasons was this.

Sweet Remnants of Summer by Alexander McCall Smith. In the Isobel Dalhousie Philosopher series set in Edinburgh.

I did say I wouldn't read anymore of these are they are all a bit 'same-y' and Isobel and Jamie are so perfect it's quite annoying!



But as it was a Summer titled book and I knew it would be quick and readable I gave it a go and it was similar to all the others with Isobel getting involved in other people's problems, editing her Philosophy newsletter and dealing with her Housekeeper and her children while the beautiful and perfect Jamie cooks up wonderful meals!

Monday's best sport was a really good match at Wimbledon between Taylor Fritz from the USA and Alexander Zverev of Germany which went to 5 sets with Fritz having to win the last three to get through to the quarter finals - and he did. Djokovic got in a tizzy about the spectators shouting Ruuuuune for his opponent - he seemed to think they were being disrespectful and booing him. I didn't think so and nor did the commentators  but who knows - he does divide opinions. Djokovic went on to win in 3 straight sets anyway.
Tuesday was the first of the quarter finals. There was no play at all on the outside courts - it rained there all  day (Suffolk was a bit drier - just long enough to get raspberries picked and cat proof fences organised for the kale plants which are due today). I half watched the two quarter finals in the men's singles. I'd have preferred Sinner to win.
They are so far behind with doubles matches now and running out of days to catch up. Hope the next few days are dry.


Back Soon 
Sue 

18 comments:

  1. It's just as well that cricketers aren't so "touchy" as tennis players, otherwise there'd be a lot of upset men every time that Joe Root came in to bat to a chorus of "ROOOOOOOT!" from the spectators.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The commentators said the same. Have to say that years ago when I first heard Rooooot I thought they were booing too

      Delete
  2. I agree Sinner should have won that match, he did look unwell and I was amazed he even finished the match. As for Djokovic, who I don't enjoy as he destroys his opponent, he did get wound up, but the crowd will often be against you, he has bad history with Wimbledon crowds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It wouldn't be Wimbledon without the rain stopped play! Apparently, on Monday there were over 80 matches scheduled for the outer courts which Carol Kirkwood reliably informed us would probably not happen.
    Love him or loathe him, Djokovic is a remarkable player. I am afraid after what she did to Andy Murray and the mixed doubles I have lost all patience with Emma Raducanu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so disappointed that Emma let Andy down like that
      Siobhan

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean about Emma Raducanu - very bad of her to pull out and it didn't help her do any better in the singles anyway

      Delete
  4. I'm on-off with these books, too. What has Isabel done to deserve gorgeous Jamie?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only read one Alexander McCall Smith book which wasn't part of the Ladies' Detective Agency series and I wasn't all that keen on it. I've read all of the Detective Agency ones though, and yes, those are a bit samey too but I do enjoy the cosiness of them, nice to settle down with without having to think about what you're reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the No 1 Detective agency series - the weather is always sunny in Botswana!

      Delete
  6. Not a fan of Alexander McCall-Smith’s writing so gave up after a few of them. Apparently a month’s rain has fallen in the first week of July so it’s inevitable that tennis matches will be cancelled. Hopefully the weather will pick up-I always feel sorry for people who have paid for tickets and don’t see much tennis. Sewing bags for charity today as it’s teeming down again here. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sticky humid today here - got too sweaty just picking raspberries! - Ugh

      Delete
  7. I find that formulaic fiction books are only good for a quick read when on holiday. Any other time and I just don't seem to have the patience for them. Perhaps I've just read too many in the past. We've had so much rain this week, it's getting ridiculous. I just managed to get Mavis out for a walk yesterday before the heavens opened and we had a spectacular thunderstorm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the Ladies detective series too, mainly because of the cosy factor, but when I tried A M S's other titles I wasn't so keen.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all the No1Ladies McCall books, but the others are so dull and smug, I wonder if the same person wrote them! Yes, I know he did, but his best seem to be the Botswana novels.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Summer book reading likely highlights ideal summer weather and favorite activities... Currently, in Massachusetts, it is unpleasant to be outside. Like your weather, we are hot and humid. Our rain comes every night and ends in the morning. With the combination heat and humidity, it feels like 100 degrees F outside and sort of like being inside a sauna. Let's hope for a couple dry days for tennis.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This particular book is great for summer reading and I choose something like that on vacation.
    The humidity actually increases the feeling of heat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a quick summer read. It must be the phase right now, that kind of cover or, if it's an older book, there is a resurgence of that style of book cover. They are bright and cheerful, but can't say I really care for them, though you can't judge a book by its cover lol

    ReplyDelete