Wednesday 31 July 2024

The July Round-up

 A quiet month, nothing much happening  and it turned out to be a weird month due to getting into a slump - but you've heard enough about that already! And I'm sorry for going on and on about it. I'm annoyed with myself for even mentioning it but  feeling 99% back to normal now so it was just a blip.

In the first week of the school summer holidays I had the 7½ year old EGD here for a couple of days - totally exhausting (for me - not for her!) she then went into hospital to have her tonsils out, should improve her breathing, especially  at night.

 I didn't bother to go and look at the Rural and Domestic Bygones sale at Campsea Ash auction yard last Saturday  (the one that's  held three times a year ), after looking at the on line catalogue there didn't seem anything worth photographing for the blog and certainly nothing to leave a bid on.

Last Sunday DiL was away on a Hen weekend so son brought the YGD and MG over, with a chicken to roast and cooked dinner here for us all - what a treat. DiL will be working as a TA in the same school as the children attend after the summer holidays. It will make things so much easier for her, no more rushing to drop them off in one place and hurry over to this village for the school here and afternoons will be easier too. She had to leave this school early to get to their school so had to have a shortened lunch break to make up the time. Now she'll have a less stressful day ( although working in a school with 5 - 11 year olds is pretty stressful anyway!) The 6 year old YGD said " I've got to call Mummy Mrs C....... when she's in my class but I can call her Mummy sometimes!"

Loving the Olympics - Adam Peaty was amazing in the pool - it really annoyed me that some reporters called a silver medal a 'failure to win gold'. 2/100th of a second is hardly a failure. Other things I've enjoyed were the 3 Day eventing gold medal, another gold in shooting and the cross country mountain bike gold too. Poor Jack Draper melted in the heat playing tennis yesterday - he was playing at just about the hottest time of the day poor fella. Rafa and Alcaraz were brilliant - a dream team and being Spanish the heat didn't bother them. Thankfully it was cooler for Andy Murray and Dan Evans to play. I switched the lap top off before the end, so can't tell you the result!
Good to see the French are winning lots of  medals, it costs a fortune to host the Olympics so they need their competitors to do well to get value for money for their tax paying public.

My mojo returned just in time to take my entry form in for the Flower and Produce show,  so many things have failed this year, so only tomatoes and peppers to enter and perhaps courgettes if I have 3 the same size on the day. I wasn't going to bother at all but thought  "might as well make up the numbers ". I'll let you know how I get on next week. I'm only entering one bit of baking this year but once again I'm stewarding for the judge in the baking classes - hope it's not too hot in the marquee.

So onto the regular end of month financial roundup - Income was the usual two pensions and interest on savings bond and ISA. 

image from google freepik


 Spending wasn't too bad until this last week when I heard we were in for another mini heat wave and decided to buy an electric fan (Should have read the measurements - it's HUGE about twice the size I thought!) and some cool gel pillow things. One of the annoying things about living in a bungalow and sleeping in a bedroom at the front of the house is not being able to have windows wide open at night.

Other outgoings were mostly normal with charity donation,  Council Tax, phones and broadband, diesel for the car, electric bill, household bits. I also needed annual virus protection for my lap-top.
 I'm not buying more or different (except for some granary flour for bread) but food spending was up again this month, even taking off the few different bits I got in for EGD staying. 


The frugal stuff .........................
  • Raspberries from the garden every day right through the month up until the 27th.
  • Plenty of courgettes, tomatoes, green beans and cucumbers
  • Someone asked about running cold water into a jug before the hot appears - Yes, I still do that but find I don't often run hot water in the kitchen, where it takes an age, it's cheaper to heat a kettle for boiling water for anything needed rather than  getting the oil-fired boiler to fire up. 
  • Using the dishwasher only every other day saves electric and water too, compared to filling a washing up bowl two or three times a day.
  • No books, flowers etc bought 
  • Home made bread 50/50 white and wholemeal and 50/50 white and Granary
  • Plenty of library books for free reading 


Personal spending was exercise group, a new Puzzler magazine and my hair getting longer was driving me nuts so I went back to normal very short again (how does Claudia Winkleman cope with that fringe?) . I bought a Radio Times for the Olympic TV coverage pages and a cheapy version other weeks. A few other expenses for visits out to windmill etc. I joined English Heritage when taking the EGD to Framlingham Castle, just for a year. Will be able to re-visit a few places I've not been to for ages.


Final thought .......... 

I hope no one in British Politics would ever call anyone "a bum" - not just once but twice.


(edited in to say Andy and Dan won and them jumping about laughing was the most joyous thing to see)
Back in a couple of days. 
Sue

39 comments:

  1. I loved reading about your granddaughter needing to call mummy Mrs C in school - children are so sweet about that sort of thing aren't they?
    A lovely round up, TQ
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it goes OK for her working at the same school as the MG who will be in Reception and the YG in year 2. Will save much rushing about.

      Delete
  2. WHen I first went back into teaching, I did supply there at first and a few times I took the class that my son was in. He was quite concerned as to what he should call me and, given that he was still very fragile after the divorce, we went carefully. Eventually, we decided on 'Mrs Mum' ; that suited him, the rest of the class was good with it and, fortunately, senior management was most understanding.
    It didn't last long as I got my own class.
    And Son turned into a right pain in Hymn Practise - but that is another story!

    Loving the frugal stuff and hoping things seem brighter again soon.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't expect many boys enjoy Hymn Practise!

      Delete
  3. When I was teaching, it was quite common for the other children to forget and call me Mum (never taught my own daughters) Nowadays it seems pupils have been known to call the teacher "Alexa"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alexa could take over the class if AI gets going!

      Delete
  4. I taught my daughter and she told her father I had to be called Mrs Mason in any school context eg Mrs. Mason says can you find me a photo to take to school. This was usually followed by a shout to Mum that Dad couldn’t find a photo! August has been our most speedy month for a long time but we had saved up for it: new double glazing and then new blinds for all the windows. After the hassle we have had, it will not be done again while we live here! Going to hang curtains today as it’s too hot to be outside. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I helped out for a while in a primary school it was quite common for the children to call me "Miss" or even "Mum"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never enough male teachers in primary schools so doubt they had to say 'Mr' very often

      Delete
  6. Andy and Dan jumping about and I started singing Skippy the Bush Kangaroo! So wretched for Adam Peaty to have Covid. Talk about timing! See the Triathlons are finally under way.
    I couldn't understand why I had to call two of my teachers Mr and Mrs B. when they were Uncle G and Aunty P!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More Gold medals today - everyone is doing so well

      Delete
  7. I can remember once being in a fowl mood for no apparent reason. My partner called me out on it to which I replied “at least you can leave the room and get away from me”. I was thoroughly annoying myself by being in such a fowl mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my flat feeling was a combination of several things - I don't want it back!

      Delete
  8. I remember when I helped out at my younger son's nursery for a year, the children called me Mrs Jason's Mum. :-)

    Weirdly after you mentioning seeing lots of Portmeirion pottery in the charity shops and buying yourself that lovely dish, I spotted a whole window display of it in our local children's hospice shop. It must be going out of collectable fashion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Portmeirion is still expensive new but I've seen lots around second hand lately. I have enough now - no more collecting - unless...................

      Delete
  9. I'm pleased to hear that the black dog has more or less departed. Let's hope he stays away now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I didn't enjoy the horrible flat feeling at all

      Delete
  10. Glad to hear you're on the way back now. I remember in the early years of school kids used to forget and call the teacher Mam! Force of habit. We did have w couple of teachers with children in class, and I don't think they called them anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be complicated for Youngest Granddaughter but much easier for DiL rather than having to rush all the time

      Delete
  11. So glad you are feeling better, Sue. Your month sounds pretty good after all and I enjoyed all of the stories about your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was a good month for quite low spending when I didn't feel like going out much!

      Delete
  12. Time with loved one's is a joy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you're feeling a bit more cheery. Good luck at the Flower and Produce show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Any prize winnings might just cover the entry fee!

      Delete
  14. I am economising by trying not to use the kettle for a hot drink and instead boil a cupful of water on the fast small ring on my induction hob - takes seconds and will cut costs. Considering Keith's electric hospital bed and turning mattress doubled the cost of the electricity bill, then the Oxygen machine on top, I should see a BIG saving there. When Danny takes all their frozen food out of my fridge-freezer freezer, I should be able to fit all my stuff in there again and turn off the little black cupboard-top freezer I got from Tam off completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might do a comparison between heating kettle and/or one cup in a saucepan on induction.

      Delete
  15. I am glad the Canadian sports reporters make a fuss of our Olympians when they have won any medal. My husband (American) watched Rugby for the first time in his life and was impressed. My school had teams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had more medals yesterday - it's all very exciting - 17 total now- wow

      Delete
  16. It is good to know you are feeling much better. You've had a busy and productive month. Our schools do not start back until September, after labor day. Your DIL has an ideal work situation at the school where her children attend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes schools start back in the first few days of September here too. Hope it works OK for DiL

      Delete
  17. My daughter and I have been watching the Olympics. I've enjoyed seeing the basketball game a couple times. I'm glad your dil has a job at the same school where her children are going to. It's going to be hot Aug 1 and 2nd. We're thankful for rain arriveed on Monday this week. I'm glad you're feeling better and I hope it stays that way. 😊~Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I stay out of the flat feeling too - it is annoying

      Delete
  18. I'm so glad that you're feeling much brighter, Sue. It can be miserable when we feel flat, for whatever reason.
    That is good news for your DIL. Thankfully, my working day is also going to change in September, which will be less stressful for me.
    Will keep my fingers crossed for your success in the flower show. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ha ha. Your story about what your Granddaughter calls her mother reminded me of teaching in a large Open Plan classroom with about 90 children, including my son. I'd been a Play Centre Mum, so quite a few of them knew me. They'd call me Mrs Atkin, but when I didn't respond quickly enough they'd revert to Virginia, and I'd respond! It took some time to get used to being Mrs again. Most of the schools I taught in were happy for staff to be called by their Christian names.

    I'm so glad you're feeling more cheerful. We have deepest winter here, and feeling blue comes with the territory, but it's hard when it hits with no warning. I hope the entries pay their way for you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the Olympics but hate the obsession with medals and the veiled contempt or pity when individuals get silver or bronze. I was so irritated by one local broadcaster last night saying, "Medals are the most important thing," that I immediately wrote to the station to complain.

    I bought a raspberry bush in June and wasn't thrilled with where I planted it - some trees had been cut down but their roots were still in the way. However, I was puzzled that it died so quickly. Then I realized that my neighbor had accidentally drowned it while watering some replacement trees. I have a lot of animals around stealing my grape tomatoes the minute they get ripe - rabbits? squirrels? raccoons? chipmunks? Hard to know unless I get a webcam but I see them all enjoying my space.

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL, my son had to call me Mrs. P in school as well, though sometimes he managed to forget..... He was much older as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad you're feeling better, Sue. You know, your comment about you hoped that no one in British politics would ever call their opponent a 'bum' sent me right off to Google. I knew who you had to be talking about...and unfortunately, I was right.

    The only cheerful thing about this is that he's losing ground. Interestingly enough, he's already setting the stage for his defeat. He's already saying that if he loses, it will be because democrats cheat. Gads. I wish that he'd just go away. Far away.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You sound brighter, good...and yes Andy and Dan were amazing, their playing and jumping around afterwards. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete