Friday 19 July 2024

Some Of My July Reading

The Women by Kristin Hannah. Published 2024


Thumbnail for The women

It is 1965, the middle of the Vietnam War and twenty year old Frances 'Frankie' McGrath is a nursing student, the only daughter of traditional parents. She has grown up on the idyllic Californian Island of Coronado. At a party held to send off her brother to Vietnam to be a Hero for his father a friend tells her that Girls can be Heroes too.

On a whim Frankie signs up and is shipped out to Vietnam, just a few weeks after her parents hear that her brother has been lost in action.
Nothing has prepared her for the fear and conditions of working in the heat and dust and horrors of a war zone, but with the help of two nurses who have been there a while she settles in and works to become the best nurse possible.
She has always been a 'good' girl but falls in love with one of the helicopter pilots and all good intentions soon disappear.
When her tour ends she flies home only to find that The Vietnam war is causing disagreements in California and across the US, her father had been too embarrassed to tell anyone where she'd been and no one believes that any women had ever been to war. Trying to get help for her nightmares is impossible in this world of denial, as is fitting back into a normal hospital.
Thankfully those two friends from Vietnam are able to help where no one else can, but there is sadness and tragedy still to come.

A really well written book, based around stories that the women who were there were able to pass on to the author. The women were finally recognised for their bravery years after the war ended.


Drawing Conclusions by Donna Leon. Published in 2011


I was a late comer to this author but this is the 29th book of hers of now read in her Commissario Guido Brunetti series, only 4 left and three of those are either here or on order from the library. I just need to work out which is the one book I've yet to reserve. Luckily these have been reprinted again recently so the library have many more than they had when I first discovered these stories of the Brunetti family in Venice.

An old woman's body has been found in her very ordinary apartment. Her neighbour finds the woman after calling in to collect her post on return from a holiday. There seems to be some signs of force on the woman but Brunetti's boss would like this declared a simple accident and when the medical examiner rules she has died from a heart attack that should be the end. But Brunetti isn't sure and soon things left unsaid by people he speaks too have him doing some research on this not so simple old woman.


.

The Comfort of Ghosts by Jacqueline Winspear published in 2024.
The 18th and very last book in what has been an excellent series that started in 2003


Thumbnail for The comfort of ghosts

1945 and the Second World War is over, but for many of the people in London things have got worse rather than better. When Investigator and psychologist Maisie Dobbs is drawn in to find out about the group of youngsters squatting in an empty mansion along with a seriously ill demobbed soldier, she needs help from all her friends and family to get to the truth. Mysteries hidden from her in the past about the life and death of her first husband in an aircraft accident also need to be resolved so that Maisie can retire to look after her American husband and adopted daughter. 

All these were read and finished while I had the other eye on tennis on TV! - Multi tasking!

Thank you to everyone for comments yesterday about the very poor growing season it's been for some things but I've eaten raspberries everyday for a month so it's not all bad.

Back Soon
Sue


24 comments:

  1. The newest Donna Leon is good, tho the slow pace and plethora of Italian terms are excruciating at times. And---do you read Daniel Silva? His newest art restorer spy Gabriel Allon book is just published. Partly takes place in Cornwall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Newest Donna Leon is reserved . I've not read Daniel Silva, I've made a note to reserve the first asap. I've got so many on reserve that I'm up to the maximum allowed!

      Delete
    2. The earliest D Silva books in the series may be a bit dated and/ or violent. They go back maybe 30 years. On the other hand, they are, imo, well written and the story line does connect and continue over the years.

      Delete
    3. The earliest D Silva books in the series may be a bit dated and/ or violent. They go back maybe 30 years. On the other hand, they are, imo, well written and the story line does connect and continue over the years.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the book reviews, in particular I like the sound of the first one
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shouldn't have read this ! Now I want to read the three of them, but I already have so many books on my shelf, plus those I borrow from my local library ! I had read mixed comments about Kristin Hannah, but The Women really seems to be a good read. Thank you !
    Maguy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I am trying to see if I can reserve the Kristin Hannah book at the library-it sounds so interesting! You are definitely widening my reading scope-thank you. I may even suggest it as a Book Group choice. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Decided to buy 2nd hand and it’s on its way. Catriona

      Delete
  5. This is the second review I've read of 'The Women' - there must be a hidden message there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because it's new and she is now a popular author here as well as in the US

      Delete
  6. Like JB I’ve seen The Women mentioned a few times recently - I’m rising up the ladder of reserves at the library so hopefully will enjoy it as much as you (and others) have

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to get back to growing things next year. My heart wasn't in it this year although my son-in-law put a few tomato plants in the greenhouse for me and a courgette. The toms are just coming in and I already have too many courgettes! I must catch up with Maisie as it's a series I absolutely love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A book there I should read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The only one of those three I've read is The Women. It was a good book. I just finished Summer Island, which was one of her early books. I'd like to read Winspear's last one too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read that first one recently too and really thought it was great. I have that last on hold and think I am next in line! I'm looking forward to reading it. Thanks again for the recommendations, Sue. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now, that's quite a talent, reading while watching tv. I haven't read any of the books you mentioned. I hear 'The Women' is a good read. Maybe I'll try that one next.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are the second person to show high regard for KH. I must get my name on the list to read her books.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some interesting reads. That first book reminds me a little of the tv series that was over here called China Beach. It's about this naive nurse that volunteers to go to Vietnam. It was a really good series, both happy and sad. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another great list of books to read.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have The Women on my KIndle - must get round to reading it. And I love the Maisie Dobbs books so will look out for the latest. Thanks. xx

    ReplyDelete