Wednesday 3 July 2024

Creeping In for the Summer Reading Challenge plus Summer of Sport Update.

 Allowed  into my 'not really a challenge' due to it's subtitle was this.....


Murder By The Seaside - Ten Classic Crime Stories for Summer. Edited by Cecily Gayford.

10 short stories by several well known crime writers from the past, including Conan Doyle, G.K. Chesterton, Michael Innes and Gladys Mitchell.
They are all set in summer, from an impossible murder on the Cornish coast to an odd honeymoon story.

A quick read for my 4th Reading The Seasons Summer Book.

The opening day of Wimbledon on Monday and it was fine all day so lots of matches finished. Emma Raducano won in straight sets as did defending Champion Carlos Alcaraz. British Men with wild cards got knocked out as did Heather Watson but 2 British women who I can't remember hearing about before got through the first round.

Tuesday and not at all summery - cold and cloudy - but lots more British wild card entry men playing although Andy M was originally scheduled to play he pulled out during the morning. More of the British men wild cards were knocked out but Cam Norrie won in 3 sets and later into the evening Jack Draper had a 5 set tough game but managed to beat the Swedish Number one and that meant that Jack and Cam play each other on Thursday.......... guaranteeing a Brit in the third round....good news. 




Back Soon
Sue


23 comments:

  1. Mixed feelings about Cam and Jack playing each other - yes we get a Brit into third round, but loose one who might have gone further as well.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true, I guess I'm not usually expecting anyone to get to the third round!

      Delete
  2. A pity that Murray got injured, though I rather hope he learns to call it a day and be remembered in future for the titles he won rather than the injuries he sustained. And lets hope that Emma Raducanu is able to stay fit - there's a wonderful joy and exuberance to her game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy is not injured, he had a cyst on his spine which was operated on just last Saturday. However he will be playing doubles with his brother Jamie.

      Delete
    2. Hope he is OK for the doubles, I'll be worried if he tries at the Olympics even if he really wants to play there.

      Delete
  3. Wimbledon - it must be great to see one of the games live.
    We have now got cold weather. I'm all for summer coming back with sunshine and blue skies...
    Summer is already too short anyway.
    Many greetings go to you from Viola.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't need to actually go and be there as the TV coverage is so good

      Delete
  4. I use to really enjoy Wimbledon but haven't watched it for years, no idea why.......it's nice keeping up with the summer of sport through reading my favourite blogs.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will be fed up with my tennis posts by the end of Wimbledon!

      Delete
  5. I always think it a pity that short stories are not as popular as they once were - the craft of writing a good one is especially hard to master. I like to read them on summer days - if we ever get a summer that is... oh for some sunshine in Wales!
    Oh - for I think it was you asking on my blog - look at Decathlon for electric mountain bikes; they have a good range and resonable prices (though none are cheap!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No not me for the bike.
      I lost confidence after having a fall and haven't cycled for a while

      Delete
  6. Getting to the third round is great. Fingers crossed for more wins.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A classic came up on my Amazon feed: Summer by Edith Wharton [sounds tedious tho].

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a proper classic from 1917. Not sure I want to read about 'sexual passions and thwarted dreams in Massachusetts'!

      Delete
  8. No mention of football, then!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just finished SUCH a good book. It's been a while since I read something that captured me so completely I couldn't bear to set it aside. I read 1/3 of it last night in bed, and finished it this evening.

    ReplyDelete