Wednesday 17 July 2024

Following A Tree 2024

 The plan was to walk up the lane to photograph the oak trees at the end of each month but I didn't get there in June for some reason - it was probably raining.

Here they are in the middle of July, the leaves are darker than at the end of May and acorns are beginning to form, critters have moved in leaving their mark. Oak trees are host to so many insects.







In the fields each side of the lane the crops are growing and ripening - despite the awful weather.

Won't be long before the barley is ready for harvest


Wheat is always slightly later


And it will be winter before the sugar-beet is reading for lifting and taking to the factory in Bury St Edmunds.


I always take a view over the village from the top of the lane . I thought about, but decided against, a photo of the gypsy travellers who have bought a plot of land and applied for planning permission for 3 static and 4 touring caravans at the bottom of the lane. They've cleared the overgrown plot, levelled it, got tarmac down and moved in with two caravans and several trucks before the planning application has even been to consultation!



The other photos from previous months are HERE

Back Soon
Sue


26 comments:

  1. The Oak Tree is looking magnificent Sue x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking back at the photos from earlier is interesting

      Delete
  2. We should contemplate trees more. The wheat and barley are surviving in this bad weather, thank goodness for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought about the field crops - phew - we will have flour and beer after all!

      Delete
  3. 2,300 species supported by oak, 326 species depend on oak for survival, 229 species rarely found on trees other than oak - that's according to the Woodland Trust and they say that's an underestimate. Makes yer think, don't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew someone would look it up to save me doing it - Thank you :-)

      Delete
  4. Splendid oaks, so valuable for wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only species I can remember from school, that lives only in oak is the purple hairstreak butterfly, but Ive never seen one. It is Beech country around here rather than oak, so Beech masts abound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I've not seen one of those butterflies either and hardly any this year of any species

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful idea to follow a tree! I have a favourite Oak tree that I visit fairly regularly. He's got a bent trunk as it's on a slope and there is barbed wire embedded deep as the tree has grown around it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness Oak trees are surviving - if a disease ever arrives it will be a disaster

      Delete
  7. Eva use of the decidedly strange weather of late, the trees in the school yard opposite our house are looking more autumnal than they should be in late July. We have been doing the leaf sweeping that we would usually be doing much later in the year as the high winds leafy leaves and little branchlets all over our front garden. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At last a few warm days are forecast for here - I shall enjoy them

      Delete
  8. English oak is so iconic. I'm glad you're observing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the following a tree project. I have been doing a daily selfie project this year. https://travelpenguindaily.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely not doing a selfie thing - avoid having my photo taken if I can!

      Delete
  10. The oak tree in full leaf is a real beauty. The barley and wheat fields are doing well too. You do have some wonderful views of open growing fields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The village is gradually creeping bigger but I hope some fields will still be needed for food

      Delete
  11. That oak looks happy and healthy, Sue! I'm glad the crops are doing well too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do hairstreak butterflies like the top of oaks? Can't remember

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos. I love Oak Trees. I must admit your photos make me a little homesick. I can't wait to come back next month, even if for just three weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A lovely old oak tree grew beside my childhood home and I remember watching it changing through the seasons. They are beautiful trees :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a lovely tree, they really are magnificent aren't they, at all times of the year. Our town Facebook Groups are in uproar at the moment as half a dozen beautiful old trees, oaks and sycamores on the edge of a field are being felled to make way for yet more new houses. They all had TPOs on them, but the council rescinded the orders with no time for anyone to protest. Here for hundreds of year and gone in a couple of days, it's so sad.

    ReplyDelete