Tuesday 2 July 2024

The Beans That Nearly Got Away + S.O.S. 2024

 The climbing French Beans didn't do much climbing for weeks. I'd surrounded the tripod with fences to keep out next door neighbours cat and didn't notice that right at the bottom, only just a little way up the canes some beans had formed. 
Luckily I moved the fences away to do some weeding and discovered all these...........


Very good they were too.
I'm watering regularly now after no rain for a week and the plants are climbing well at last. Hopeful for more to come soon.

S.O.S. 2024 isn't a cry for help! But Summer of Sport. The last one was 2021, when all the things cancelled the year before because of Covid, were held. That year, like this year I loved all the tennis and Olympics and wrote about them on the blog starting with the French Open. I looked back at those old posts and saw that Jack Draper - a young unknown Brit had a wild card entry into Queens Club and had a win against Jannik Sinner. 3 Years on and Jack did really well at Queens Club is now seeded 28 at Wimbledon and Jannik is seeded number 1 this year, above moany Djocovic and last years winner Alcaraz. 

This year so far  the French Open was followed by the first grass court tournament of the season from Nottingham then Queens Club tournament , Wimbledon Qualifiers and now Wimbledon. And at the weekend the British Athletic Championships were on TV to watch, with many up and coming athletes trying to qualify for the Olympics.
 I've just labelled some of my posts mentioning tennis with 'Summer of Sport 2024',  so that in 2028 - the next Olympic Year  - if I'm still about! - I'll be able to look back and see what was going on.

A memory.............
At 2pm on a Monday afternoon in late June or early July 1980 I settled the 2 month old baby down and settled myself down, excited for my first ever time at home to watch the start of Wimbledon live.......it Rained! - there was no play - nothing to watch!
Now it no longer matters, with two courts having roofs there is always something to see and a huge choice of what to watch via BBC Red Button.
Just proves that not everything has got worse in the intervening 44 years! 

Back Soon
Sue

PS for Euros Football and Tour De France commentary see Rachel in Norfolk's Blog! 
And another PS Thanks to Aril for reminding me about the Paul Heaton set from Glastonbury - so good.



20 comments:

  1. We must have a child almost the same age Sue. Our only child (an unexpected, but hugely welcomed, son) was born on 1 June 1980. Which over here is heading into the worst months of winter. I can''t believe he's now 44! And has two of his own to whom he is the most wonderful father. And, unlike many of our friends, he lives a mile away and we see the family at least twice each week, when we collect the children (9 and 6) from school. and have them until dinner time.

    Your beans look perfect - home grown, freshly picked taste completely different to the sad, plastic wrapped, supermarket version, don't they. In Sumer we grow beans and lettuce, celery and herbs here in our tiny garden. In winter, herbs and silverbeet and not a lot more - the climate isn't conducive to 12 month gardening!

    My husband, and grandson are both "Football Tragics" so there is much talk about the World Cup, and ridiculously early morning watching, followed by minute dissection of the result!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes my Eldest daughter is 44 and very busy with two jobs and two children. I don't get to see this bit of the family very often - sadly. Son in Law isn't a fan of rural Suffolk and also works long hours and I don't drive far enough to visit them.

      Delete
  2. Wow beans, ours are still climbing and love tennis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few flowers but not as many as I'd like to see - hope for a few more beans sometime

      Delete
  3. We've been enjoying the Tour de France. Football leaves me cold. Your beans look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, we are happy, love the tennis and Wimbledon is the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raining at the moment there so only the covered courts in action - I shall do the ironing and watch and hope it stops raining.

      Delete
  5. It’s great, isn’t it, so much sport to enjoy!
    We’re a football watching house as well, but it comes after tennis for me. My husband has been away so I’ve had total control of the tv watching but a wee bit of negotiation will be required very soon!
    Plus I’ve just started The Last Remains and Nemesis is on order from the library.
    Add in the poly tunnel and there’s no time left for housework…shame!
    J’nan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all the sport - hope to see lots of different sports not usually on TV during the Olympics

      Delete
  6. Wimbledon is playing live here but it comes through in our night time. Son works all night and enjoys watching it. I content myself with highlights :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. French Open and Wimbledon are the only two we get to see at suitable times. US Open is late and of course Aussie Open in the middle of the night.

      Delete
  7. Those beans look great, a very welcome little bonus, thank goodness you were weeding. Yep, the television is full of sport fixtures, not good for a sport phobic like me, oh well at least I have Prime and Netflix. Back to Dexter for me then for the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There aren't many sports I don't like watching which is odd really as I'm totally un-sporty myself and always have been!

      Delete
  8. Yes agree, some progress is good 😀
    We are enjoying the Summer of Sport, the good,the bad and the ugly!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can remember all the years of rain and only replays being shown - sometimes they had to dredge up old matches from the past - Much better now!

      Delete
  9. Yes, a great summer for sports fans - I get restless sitting in a chair watching all that activity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Summer sports are plentiful right now. I'm not watching but I am keeping up with the wins and losses. Your beans look entirely perfect. The plants are doing well and hopefully you'll continue to harvest for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm looking forward to the Olympics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not a fan of Djokovic but all respect to him today the way he despatched his opponent so soon after his surgery. Sad, but understand Sir Andy's decision and hope he does well in the doubles with Jamie.
    I don't usually watch sport, but when you get a summer of back to back world class competition it's hard not to watch! Must remember to order cream to go with the strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yum, fresh beans!! Not a sports fan here, unless I am playing and I am too old for that now. I do get updates on various sports from Harvey though.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete