Monday 15 July 2024

Yesterday.

Thought it was time for a new header photo and couldn't decide so plumped for the amazing East window of Redgrave church. It deserves a longer look.

 I often fall asleep with the radio on Radio 4, it's usually fairly boring and sends me off to sleep quite quickly, then of course I wake up hours later when Radio 4 has become The World Service and it's still talking to me, which is why I woke up sometime in the early hours of Sunday morning to hear the words  'Civil War starting in the US' Good Grief!- then the rest of talking got through to me and I heard that Trump had been shot and injured and the Civil War was what some commentators were expecting to happen next.
So I'm praying that by the time this post is live things have calmed down.

As it was fine I went to the nearest car-boot sale early and came home with a bunch of beetroot and half a dozen eggs - no treasure - same old same old - children's toys and junk!
Beetroot cooked and another bowl of raspberries picked - I've had some every day for weeks and put several small bags of them in the freezer - I'm thinking pavlova in winter sounds good. I then brought the only two small aubergines in from the greenhouse. They'd not got any bigger for weeks and were starting to lose their shine so best used quickly. No other aubergine flowers have set - yet another growing fail for this dismal 2024 season. I cooked them up with a tin of tomatoes and lots of seasonings including basil from the greenhouse which made 3 portions of pasta sauce.

Men's wheelchair singles final was the first thing on at Wimbledon. Alfie Hewett there again and having a wonderful win. As he is Norfolk born he's been featured on local TV coverage and seems to have been around for ever although he is only 26, he's won many grand slams and other tournaments since 2016. I'm amazed at the strength those guys have for manoeuvring a wheelchair on grass and playing tennis at the same time.
The men's final was a bit of an anti-climax with Alcaraz beating Djokovic very easily. It was a strange match. 
Then I quickly turned onto red button TV to see Alfie Hewett again in the wheelchair doubles with Gordon Reid, they've been playing doubles together for several years, seems a bit mean to have both finals on the same day. They successfully defended their title. Well done them!

That left just the football but I'll be in bed rather than on the laptop when that finished!
 
Back Soon
Sue 

36 comments:

  1. I loved your picture of the window when you first posted it, so thank you for using it as a header. We refer to those stalls at yard sales and boot fairs as "pink plastics" - because so much of the children's toys and worthless junk seems to be made of pink plastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pink plastics is a good name. Just so much junk and none of it seems to sell

      Delete
  2. Raspberries freeze so well don't they? I've got some courgettes and runner beans playing catch up , goodness knows if we'll get anything from them unless we get some consistent warmer weather soon.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will enjoy those raspberries in the depths of winter

      Delete
  3. Extremely interesting matches!!
    I often fall asleep with the radio lulling me to sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's often talk of politics at night which is very dull

      Delete
  4. A lovely header - definitely worth a closer look, I think. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tennis has always seemed like a lot of hard work to me, let alone playing from a wheelchair. The football sent me to sleep last night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way they can spin and whizz round in the wheelchair is incredible. They'll be back for the Paralympics

      Delete
  6. Your header photo, which I noticed yesterday, is utterly magnificent. The colours are bright and clear with no over or under exposed spots. Job well done on what is not an easy thing to photograph! You must use a very good camera. Of course, this is where you now say no, just my phone, lol.
    I felt short changed by the men's final, Djokovic seemed to have no fight or interest in the match at all. His polite behaviour threw me! What has happened to him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Proper camera but not always good in churches.
      I've just realised I've not yet tried my new phone camera or how to get the photos off it - Oh heck something else to learn!

      Delete
  7. I do love a stained glass window, and that one looks beautiful. We watched the end part of the men's final (we were out walking for the start) and I agree with Rustic Pumpkin above, Djokovic was very subdued, I thought. Maybe his knee was hurting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very strange final. The wheelchair finals were much better!

      Delete
  8. The stained glass is superb. There is such skill in these things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awful to read about how much was destroyed in the Puritan purge

      Delete
  9. Lovely new header.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful header photo. I watched men’s singles yesterday and it was over so quickly! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two weeks ended very quickly yesterday. Looking forward to the Olympics now

      Delete
  11. Pavlova in Winter sounds absolutely lovely. I've not been to a single car boot sale this year, I need to remedy that if possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope they are better than the ones here - really just the same stuff and lots of dealers

      Delete
  12. My house cleaners are Czech, and were so happy at the winner of the women's title! There have been many great Czech players. They accepted my congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been able to get into Women's tennis - they seem to have new champions every year and no consistency and names I can't pronounce!

      Delete
  13. Enjoy the fresh summer veg while it lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photo of a superb window.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your new header is outstanding as the East window of the Redgrave church is remarkably beautiful. Writing from the US: DT was holding a rally in Pennsylvania and while standing at the podium, multiple bullets were shot and DT was hit on the upper part of his ear. This was an assassination attempt. The shooter is a 20 something male, high school grad. He lived with his parents and worked at a care home. He managed to place himself on a roof of a building 400 feet away from the rally. The gun used was bought by the shooter's father. All is under investigation. There is no US civil war. Lots of vitriol and anger. There is nothing good that comes from hate and gun violence. Massachusetts is in a heatwave with hot humid air with blazing sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have heard about the shooting here probably as much as you have there!

      Delete
  16. Tennis has been good, loved it all

    ReplyDelete
  17. Civil War here? No mention of that in our news but it is quite a mess and I'm fearful that tRump will win. All I can do is vote for Democrats and pray!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous new header. Just gorgeous. I don't think there is cause for a Civil War yet -- but I think a lot of us worry about something akin to it after the election, no matter who wins. Things are a huge mess now. I'd rather think about Pavlova, which I adore!

    ReplyDelete
  19. No Civil War, Sue. Wish we could ban guns, tho!
    I saw highlights for the Spain/England football match and your side did a great job just came up short.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It was certainly Spain’s weekend!
    I watched the men’s tennis final and was expecting it to go to more than three sets. I’ve been a Federer fan for many years and am finding it difficult to keep interested at the moment! I watched the football and expected that England would lose!

    Your header photo is lovely! 😁

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your header is amazing, what a beautiful window. The football was a bit disappointing but kind of expected, although semifinal isn’t bad!

    ReplyDelete