Thursday 24 October 2024

A Quilt Exhibition

 I've never had any wish to do quilting, I find the whole concept of cutting things into small pieces and stitching them back together again is beyond me BUT I can appreciate and love the wonderful designs, colours, skill and patience of the people who do do it.

So finding some information online about an exhibition by Diss Quilters I went up to South Lopham, which is just over the border into Norfolk, to have a look.

The exhibition was in the church, which has an unusual and huge and very ancient tower in the middle between Nave and Chancel.

Small quilts which would make lovely cushion covers


Beautiful quilt for Remembrance


And some of the larger quilts


Two for Autumn





This one below is a copy of something much older



A four seasons quilt for a little girl


So many large quilts draped over the pews




I entered the draw to win a quilt but no phone call came.

For more information about the church Simon Knott, whose Suffolk church index gets used a lot for my Suffolk Churches posts, has also visited all the churches in Norfolk and HERE is his write up of St Andrew South Lopham.

Back Soon
Sue


2 comments:

  1. There's some very pleasing designs there. I come from a family who were always engaged in some kind of craft project - knitting, crocheting, embroidery, sewing, making rag mats and wool mats, lace-making - but I don't remember any quilting at all. Buying plain white sheets and pillow-cases then embroidering them with flowers and foliage was very popular when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely exhibition!
    I have always enjoyed both patchwork and quilting, which seem to go hand in hand. I do many hand crafts taught to me by my forebears, but patchwork and quilting I learned for myself. I am deeply into the history of patchwork and quilting. You've given me food for thought on my blog!

    ReplyDelete