Tuesday 15 October 2024

The Kitchen List

 The problem with doing so much painting over the last month means I've spent virtually no time in the kitchen.

I really need to............ 

Make pizza bases for freezing
Cook up some pizza Topping ditto
Make Red Tomato Relish
And bread as usual
Turn some cheap wholemeal bread and saved crusts into breadcrumbs and dry some for freezing
Plus making cheese scones for my garden helper

and something with some of these Butternut Squash - last year I had 2 plants that produce one squash this year my two plants have given me all this lot!  There are 9 here and a couple are Giants - I will use some in a  big batch of veggie curry but what the heck to do with the rest!



Thank goodness they will keep.

I looked back to see when it was that I'd written that they weren't doing well  - it was early September, then they really got going and more than I thought were lurking under leaves and beside the heating oil tank. 
Further back on the blog I'd put a photo of the squash and pumpkin plants after planting out  at the smallholding. May 2014 this was - ten years ago - an age and yet no time at all.





They always sold well.

Back Soon
Sue

3 comments:

  1. I haven't grown any but I have found them fairly cheaply, including a couple in Waste Not boxes. I've roasted and pureed them to use as soup base during the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They keep for ages so you should be fine, that's a great crop. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was given a large squash last week, and made a batch of veggie curry. Never tried growing them though

    ReplyDelete