Monday 21 October 2024

October 21st - St Ursula's Day

 Here's a Saint I've never heard of until I read this in the Kate Greenaway Book of Days.



In the Book of Saints there is this very strange story about Ursula


And this is the accompanying picture

Martyrdom of St Ursula. A Miniature from the Grandes Heures d'Anne De Bretagne

I only know of one person named Ursula . The daughter of a lady who I worked with in the library. Ursula later went on to manage the same library for many years until she retired recently. Definitely not a name as common as Susan!

How many Ursula's do you know?


Back Soon
Sue

3 comments:

  1. Maybe it's a more common name in Germany than here; I know of two Ursula's, both of whom had German parents - and both usually known as Ula. It's common for numbers to get exaggerated in these old stories which is hardly surprising when so few people could count. I imagine their counting was about the same as my friends' little daughter who proudly announced that she could count, and demonstrated it by counting slowly as far as twenty. "And do you know what comes after twenty?" I asked. "Lots of other numbers" came the reply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of St Ursula but did not know her hagiography. I have a German friend Ursula.
    Today also marks British Apple Day, Trafalgar Day, the day French women got the vote, many more, and my birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter is 40 today! I actually met a lady called Ursula on Friday morning. When I commented that her name was unusual, she said "there's not many about apart from Ursula Andress" I remembered later there's an Ursula in the village. But both of these women are in their 80s

    ReplyDelete