29 July 2025

Suffolk Churches Visited A-Z

Apologies! ............This post is really just for me.   

 It's an A-Z  list of the Suffolk Churches I've visited since 2018. It was a book published to celebrate 100 years of the Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich called '100 Treasures in 100 Suffolk Churches' that started it all, and I still haven't been to all 100 in the book but have visited many more, especially those local to home,  that aren't mentioned.

There are over 700 churches in Suffolk so a long way to go as yet.

Now this post will be in Labels and makes it easy to check where I've been!

Sometime - when there is time - in winter maybe - I'll make links so that clicking on a church will link to the actual post written about it. It'll take days!

(Now linked back to and including august 2022?)



  1. Aldeburgh
  2. Alderton
  3. Aspal HERE
  4. Bacton
  5. Badingham
  6. Badwell Ash HERE
  7. Bardwell
  8. Barking HERE
  9. Barningham HERE
  10. Battisford
  11. Baylham HERE
  12. Bedingfield HERE
  13. Beyton HERE
  14. Blyford HERE
  15. Blythburgh
  16. Botesdale HERE
  17. Bramfield HERE
  18. Bramford
  19. Brantham
  20. Brent Eleigh
  21. Brome HERE
  22. Brundish
  23. Burgate
  24. Burgh
  25. Bury St Edmunds Cathedral
  26. Bury St Edmunds St Johns
  27. Bury St Edmunds St Marys
  28. Buxhall HERE
  29. Chelsworth HERE
  30. Chillisford
  31. Clare
  32. Coddenham HERE
  33. Combs HERE
  34. Cotton
  35. Cratfield
  36. Creetings - lost churches
  37. Crowfield HERE
  38. Debach HERE
  39. Debenham
  40. Dennington
  41. Drinkstone
  42. Earl Stonham
  43. East Bergholt
  44. Elmsett
  45. Eye
  46. Eyke
  47. Felixstowe
  48. Felsham HERE
  49. Finningham HERE
  50. Framlingham HERE
  51. Framsden
  52. Friston
  53. Gipping
  54. Gislingham
  55. Great Ashfield
  56. Great Barton
  57. Great Bricett HERE
  58. Great Finborough HERE
  59. Great Livermere
  60. Grundisburgh
  61. Hadleigh
  62. Harleston HERE
  63. Haughley HERE
  64. Helmingham HERE
  65. Hemingstone
  66. Hepworth HERE
  67. Hessett
  68. Hinderclay
  69. Hitcham HERE
  70. Hollesley
  71. Hoo
  72. Hopton
  73. Hoxne
  74. Hunston HERE
  75. Iken
  76. Ipswich St Mary Le Tower
  77. Ipswich St Mary At Elms
  78. Ixworth HERE
  79. Kenton HERE
  80. Kettlebaston HERE
  81. Lavenham
  82. Little Finborough HERE
  83. Little Saxham
  84. Little Waldingfield HERE
  85. Mellis HERE
  86. Mendlesham
  87. Monks Eleigh HERE
  88. Needham Market
  89. Nettlestead HERE
  90. Oakley HERE
  91. Occold HERE
  92. Old Newton
  93. Orford HERE
  94. Palgrave
  95. Pettistree
  96. Playford
  97. Preston St Mary HERE
  98. Rattlesden HERE
  99. Redgrave HERE
  100. Rickinghall Inferior HERE
  101. Rickinghall Superior HERE
  102. Ringshall HERE and HERE
  103. Rushmere
  104. Saxmundham
  105. Shelland
  106. Sibton HERE
  107. South Elmham
  108. Southwold HERE
  109. Stoke Ash
  110. Stonham Aspal
  111. Stonham Parva HERE
  112. Stowlangtoft HERE
  113. Stowmarket HERE
  114. Stowupland
  115. Stradbroke HERE
  116. Stuston HERE
  117. Swilland
  118. Theberton
  119. Thorndon
  120. Thornham Magna HERE
  121. Thornham Parva
  122. Thrandeston HERE
  123. Thwaite HERE
  124. TostockHERE
  125. Ufford
  126. Walberswick HERE
  127. Walsham le Willows
  128. Wenhaston HERE
  129. Westhorpe HERE
  130. Westleton HERE
  131. Wetherden HERE
  132. Wetheringsett
  133. Wickham Market HERE
  134. Wickham Skeith
  135. Willisham HERE
  136. Wilby
  137. Winston HERE
  138. Woodbridge
  139. Woolpit
  140. Worlingworth
  141. Wortham
  142. Wyverstone
  143. Yaxley
  144. Yoxford HERE

28 comments:

  1. Goodness, Sue, I always enjoy your church posts but hadn’t realised how many you’d visited. Also am amazed by the figure of >700 in the county.
    I can’t remember Creeting but the description of a lost church sent me scuttling to Google. Very interesting. J’nan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some of those 700 are Baptist, Methodist and URC which are not open except for services, so not as many as I thought to get to

      Delete
  2. Some wonderful place names there! Plenty more scope for your visits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A useful resource! I use my old blogposts for reference too. I had wondered if there was a South Elmham somewhere. Norfolk Elmham is 4 miles up the road from me here in Norfolk. It has a lively parish church and the ruins of a Saxon Cathedral.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ON of the many Saints up in a remote bit of north east Suffolk

      Delete
  4. St Mary’s Mildenhall is worth visiting if you ever head west. You could couple it with the museum at nearby West Stow Saxon village as you head back to the A14.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to West Stow Saxon Village lots of times but never been to Mildenhall. That part of Suffolk I don't know well as I never went there with mobile library and Colin never did bridge inspections in that part of the county very often, so I didn't get rides out that way.

      Delete
  5. Wow! That's a lot of churches. Such interesting names. Lots more still to go!
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100'S! - doubt I'll manage it in my lifetime

      Delete
  6. What a holy lot you were in Suffolk. You do seem to have more than your fair share of churches, perhaps an indication of shifting populations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And nearly every village also had Baptist, Methodist or other non conformist churches too.

      Delete
  7. Oh gosh that is quite a list. If you're going to add links to them I would suggest doing four or five at a time ... or you'll go mad. :-)

    I'll list the ones that I have visited since I moved to this area - St Thomas'

    There you go. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right about going nuts doing links - It will take me weeks - perhaps a snowy winter will get it done

      Delete
  8. Do you have the DP Mortlock book on Suffolk Churches? There is a newer one that is large and all one volumes, or you can get the older print which has three separate smaller volumes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not got those books - or Cautley's - way too expensive! Simon Knotts website is handy though

      Delete
  9. A blog should be useful to the blogger as well as its readers. Wow what a list!
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks a longer list written out like that.

      Delete
  10. The names are a trip in themselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some interesting history connected with place names too

      Delete
  11. I love your church posts and seeing the architecture as well as learning about the church history.
    A total of 700 hundred churches in Suffolk is a lot of churches. Do they all have parishioners or are some considered solely historic, protected by the Trust and open to public?
    England's preservation of historic churches is impressive and a very great accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The majority are still used, perhaps just once a month or a few times a year. Not many people go to church regularly though although the buildings are usually much loved by villagers.

      Delete
  12. Patricia (in West Suffolk)29 July 2025 at 18:41

    I know it's quite a trek for you but I would definitely recommend Kedington Church for a visit if you fancy a day out west.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yikes! That's a serious list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My goodness, that is a great many churches to have visited and shared with all of us.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow that's quite a few churches that you've visited - and many more still to go! I'm not a religious person, but so many of the churches are really beautiful and I do enjoy going to visit one or two!

    ReplyDelete