Thursday 14 December 2017

December 14th and The Free Lunch

Who said there is no such thing as a free lunch?

There is in our village. It's all because of something called The Townlands Trust Charity. The Trust - dating back to the 1800's once owned 5 tenements, which were almshouses, and more than 75 acres, the houses were sold off  30 years ago but the land is still rented out - once to households for allotments but now to farmers, they actually owned our bit of meadow until it was sold off in the 1980s. A long time ago they gave "2 penny loaves weekly to the poor" but now it's a free Christmas lunch to over 60's as well as a donation to the church and the school.

When something says "free"  I'm there like a shot even though I thought I wouldn't know anybody. But when I rang up to book a place the lady told me that Mrs F - who lived in our cottage before us - would be going so at least I would know her.

The meal was last Monday at a large pub on the A140, just a few miles up the road from home ........ it was a  snowy and icy day. Avoiding the busy main road I drove there "the back way" so I could go slowly through the slush.


Not as sunny as this on Monday!

 The food was delicious,  I had chosen a veggie option of filo-pastry parcel filled with leeks, nuts and mushrooms in a mushroom sauce served on a bed of rocket and with roast potatoes. For desert a chocolate brownie with ice cream. Then there was coffee and a mini mince pie. On arrival we found a bag of chocolate coins on the table for everyone and a raffle ticket each.
My ticket was actually drawn out - mainly because there were enough gifts for everyone! and I picked this
No idea what's in it, I shall save it until Christmas day, but I'm hoping  from the shape that it's edible😊.


Thank you to everyone for comments. I'll do a hospital update soon.

My £12 Christmas treat money has so far bought some Pringles for £1.25, another box of the Nescafe Salted Caramel coffee sachets for £1.50, some Port Salut cheese for £2 and I wanted Jacobs Cornish Wafer biscuits but Asda in Stowmarket didn't have any, so there is still cash left for next shopping trip. I'm quite cheap to keep at Christmas!

Back Tomorrow
Sue


31 comments:

  1. What a lovely thing to have and do. The dinner sounds delicious and it must have been great fun.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  2. gosh, there's a blast from the past! My ex and I used to eat at that pub almost every week back in the day. Have not been there for years, but the food was always so good!

    How lovely to get a free lunch and a pressie. you are good keeping it until Christmas, I'd have ripped that paper off in a second!

    You are my kind of person, spending your treat loot on cheese! Yum! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food was excellent and service good too which isn't always the case with large groups of people all at once

      Delete
  3. Crisps, cheese and those coffees (well, the plain unsweetened taste version) would be exactly my idea of a treat too! The free Christmas meal is a lovely idea, glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely idea, glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now is the hardest time to keep within your budget. TV and media all pump us with this perfect Christmas, and as for some the stress levels rise, the panic buying starts. We have everything we require, except the fresh stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasty edibles that I don't usually buy are my best treat now. Don't need things............except books perhaps!

      Delete
  6. What a delicious sounding vegetarian meal you had! Our City Council hosts a free Christmas lunch for the over 60's too, and I was shocked to be offered a ticket this year. I declined, graciously, but even if I felt inclined to go, they do not cater for dietary variations ~ it's turkey or the highway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were 7 different main courses to choose from - amazing. and 2 veggie - the other a nut roast - plus a fish - so something for everyone

      Delete
  7. Importantly, did you get to chat to some nice people?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I chatted to Mrs F who owned this house before us and a couple who were x teachers.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for telling us about The Townlands Trust Charity. I am great believer in land share. Perhaps smallholdings could rent spare land for allotments or to other smallholders?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It used to be local villagers that used the land but now all farmers

      Delete
  9. That present looks beautifully wrapped. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sue, really pleased that you are having some happy times x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your lunch sounds delicious, and the parcel looks very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds a delicious vegetarian lunch and my favourite price...free;-)
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often choose veggie option - meat is boring!

      Delete
  13. How lovely, I have yet to find something like this where we live now. Hope your DH is doing well. I have had good news about my arm and shoulder op.
    I might be seeing your daughter after Christmas as I want new glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear things may be better for you after the years of pain. She's working Mondays and Thursdays at the opticians at the moment.

      Delete
  14. Sounds like my kind of lunch - being vegetarian I find sometimes the veggie option not very good but that sounds really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nut roast looked good too - spoiled for choice

      Delete
  15. Well, we already know you're a brave person, Sue, but I was so pleased to see that you went to an event where you weren't sure what it would be like. Not that you need my approval, but after my divorce I struggle with going out as a single, and I admire your "get on with life" attitude. My best wishes to you and Col and your family. (And the food does sound very good--what luck!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really brave of you to go on your own, it's something I would have done too ... but I would have had to psyche myself up to begin with. Nice that the food was good AND you came away with a pressie to open on Christmas Day.

    ReplyDelete