Sunday 3 December 2017

December 3rd and the Mantel Shelf

I've put Autumn away in the cupboard and for the Month of December the mantle-piece will be decked for Christmas.

The photos are not very good because to have it light enough to see the objects then it's too light to see the lights...............It looks a lot better in real life!
(If you are OCD inclined I apologise for the cottage not being quite in the middle of the shelf, I have remedied that now!)

  There's a  snowflake jug ( car boot or charity shop sometime last year)  Robin bell ( found in a charity shop for £1 in October)
























The  Lilliput Lane winter cottage that belonged to my Mum,


















a lantern with tea light and sitting snowman, also from charity shops. Then a string of artificial holly from the packaging supply place last month and some tiny LED lights from QD.
I'd rather have real holly but it would soon dry out over the fire, but I will be bringing some in for the Solstice.

Maybe it looks a bit sparse, thought I had more in the Christmas decoration box but most decorations we have are hanging rather than standing. May have to search round a few more charity shops!

Full Moon tonight - and look at this lovely Christmas card from a friend we visited just before Col went into hospital. A National Trust Card............Moonlit Hare.



Love it, especially as we've seen hares around quite close. Which reminds me, I saw our Barn Owl yesterday morning, getting annoyed at a Magpie. Such a treat.

Many many MANY thanks for the lovely thoughtful comments yesterday, it does help to know that so many people from all round the world are wishing him well.

Back Tomorrow
Sue

20 comments:

  1. It looks so pretty Sue.
    I love the Lilliput Lane cottage. I used to have that one...along with quite a few others until I sold them during a minimalist phase some years ago and I am regretting it.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mum had a few but I only wanted to keep just the one to come out at Christmas as they are such dust collectors!

      Delete
  2. I think it looks quite nice. Especially your Mum's cottage. I love remembering where I got certain decorations/ornaments. Lots of wonderful memories to go over as we put them out, with Christmas music in the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have lot's of tree decorations from many years back, but I won't be having a big tree this year.

      Delete
  3. I love the fireplace! The hare is lovely, too. All very nice!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your mantel decorations, especially the cottage. I’ve only just read your yesterday’s post so may I also add my best wishes to Colin for his transplant, and to you for the watching and waiting. I, too, have had experience of the A14 and would not care to repeat it - squashed between thundering lorries, eek. I will be thinking of you every day - take care xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it when trucks pull out to overtake each other, on a two laned road it makes everything brake, there are just too many junctions and unlike a motorway- not good signage

      Delete
  5. Your mantle is perfect. That's about all I have decorated yet, here, also. The room looks so nice, when the mantle is "prettied-up"....

    OCD here too. -grin- I too, would have had to center that cottage. ,-)))) That Lilliput Lane winter cottage that belonged to your Mum, is so precious.

    Oh you actually seeeee hares! Lucky you. All I see are bunnies. Which of course, is not the same!

    Here I call tonight's moon, The Full Long Night's Moon. I use the names given by the Native American Indians, who lived on this land, ages ago.

    Gentle 'Grandmother Moon' hugs and blessings,
    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your first picture(s), in this and your last post, are beautifully wide. All your pictures could be posted, this wide. If you would make your blog width "wider."

    Just sayin'...

    -smile-

    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only a problem when I make photos extra large but I've been meaning to jiggle with page widths so thank you for the nudge to get it done.
      I hope it stays correct

      Delete
  7. I so admire the way you are both carrying on 'as normal' Sue (and Col). Glad too that you are decorating the house. Looking pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just getting on with things is the only way we know

      Delete
  8. your mantel looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The mantel looks really nice and and I love that your Mum's cottage has pride of place. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. All good wishes for Col and his treatment to go well.

    Are you able to get him some DVD movies and audio books from your local library, most laptops will play these, or you might ask a friend to put some movies on a USB stick. I can use a usb with my tablet by using a little converter cable $3 on line including postage....very useful.
    Chin up, keep crafting and keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely cheerful, festive shelf! I haven't got any trimmings out yet. I tend to wait until the last moment lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the mantel, and I would not move the cottage--my daughter has been teaching me to see the beauty in asymmetry and it's interesting to gain a new perspective at my age (73). I'd look for some lovely little bit to set just to the left of the cottage, which would give a gentle jolt to observers. While I'm offering my opinions, I would frame Moonlit Hare, and to see a barn owl I consider a good omen. Many years ago, when I was visiting my younger brother and his wife in upstate New York, we took a walk at night down a bleak dirt road through snowy fields, and looked up to see a Snowy Owl perched on a telephone pole, and I felt blessed. You're a courageous woman, Sue, and I wish you and Col the best.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a welcoming display to come home to...x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a pretty display. I love the LED lights. I have bought a couple of sets in the past week, as it's coming up to Christmas, but I have some which I use all year round as I just love the effect of them.

    I am sorry I missed your post yesterday. This must be such a worrying time for you all, with Col in hospital preparing for this transplant. I have everything crossed that it goes well for him and my commiserations that it had to happen THIS month, and that he will spend Christmas in hospital. I had just 24 hours there and was tearing my hair out. As long as it all works as it should do, that it all that matters. There are other Christmases. You are both in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete