Friday 21 September 2018

Aldeburgh St. Peter and St Paul

A couple of weeks ago I took  a detour on the way to see youngest and Florence and called in to see the sea and the church at Aldeburgh, a small town I know well after all our years living just a few miles inland, and unlike all the churches visited prior to this, it's one I've actually been inside for a service.


The "treasure" that gives this church a place in the 100 treasures book is the memorial in the churchyard to the 7 men who drowned in a tragic event of 7 December 1899. The men were part of the 18 man crew of the Aldeburgh lifeboat which was hit broadside by two huge waves in heavy seas and capsized, trapping 6 men underneath.
 Aldeburgh was a much smaller town back then and everyone would have known the people who were killed. There's still a lifeboat stationed in Aldeburgh and they built a brand new building for it in the 1990's.

Into the church and this beautiful copper plaque gives the names of those who died

It's a very wide church with the side aisles almost the same height as the main nave, there are no windows (clerestorey? )high up so it felt a bit gloomy in the middle aisle as I entered under the tower.
I thought the alter cloth was interesting and the angels guarding the sanctuary
And the shields on the roof bosses
The banner shows the town crest
Compared to some of the churches I've visited the font is small and not situated in the usual place.

There is one person especially connected with Aldeburgh and he has a stained window in his memory and that's the composer Benjamin Britten. I'm not sure when the window by the artist John Piper was installed but Britten died in 1976.
I found these three architectural drawings of the church framed on the south wall,(sorry about the poor photo)

 Outside again and the South porch joins the pavement by the busy main road down the hill to the seafront and has archways through each side for a pathway....... might also be unique in Suffolk.......I don't know.

Lots more information about the church HERE

Just a couple of photos of the shingle, sea and  gulls on a sunny September  morning



Back Tomorrow
Sue

20 comments:

  1. Lovely header photograph. There really are some lovely churches around aren’t there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quick photo that by luck turned out well for an autumn photo

      Delete
  2. Beautiful stained glass window and I like the altar cloth bery much. You certainly live in an area of interesting churches and I have enjoyed visiting them with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the alter cloth looked so different to other churches I've seen - like it's been tie-dyed

      Delete
  3. One of my favourite places, thank you for this little glimpse of Aldeburgh, it's brightened my morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a lovely day for your journey. Interesting aspect to see the shields on the roof bosses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was earlier this month before all the storms hit - very cold wind in Suffolk today

      Delete
  5. An interesting church. Life at sea for many villagers was a hard one - still is here in Scotland and the copper plaque is certainly a lovely commemoration to them. I love that stained glass window and how the colours change from top to bottom.
    The porch and path is an interesting feature - I doubt the main road would be very busy when the church was built - I wonder how it looked back then.
    On our heritage trail we have found that some churches had many additions added on later so the original bit is hard to find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fishing was once the main occupation so it's a good thing they had a lifeboat

      Delete
  6. We also have churches spanning pavements in Norwich. Aldeburgh is a lovely place and one where you can still buy fish from the boats as they come in. Shame the houses are so far out of reach of the ordinary person now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did electoral roll work here chasing up people who hadn't registered to vote and nearly half the houses are either second homes or holiday lets. Sad.

      Delete
  7. Really interesting post -- such a sad story about the lifeboat disaster--I always appreciate markers like that to help preserve the stories of peoples sacrifices. Reading your post I would have liked to have walked down to the sea and breathed in the sea air. Jean/ Winnipeg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting to see surnames that are still around in the town today

      Delete
  8. All your beautiful photography of churches makes me want to convert my woodshed into a tiny private chapel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the best Country Houses had their own private chapel - go for it!

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful church. Where I live there is a lifeboat station and it too has had tragedies. Enjoying your trips round Suffolk I have never been to...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this Sue - reminded me of the lovely week the farmer and I spent here a few years ago and of our visit to you for coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your new header. What a beautiful church that is, and a wonderful copper plaque in memories of those lifeboatmen who drowned.

    The stained glass window is just glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the church and the memorial is beautiful. It looks like you are still getting nice weather.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete