Saturday 19 September 2020

A Good Week

I hadn't though about trying a different font until Deborah in Wales mentioned it, there are dozens, and I mean DOZENS available to choose from with new blogger .....this one is called COURGETTE .......seems apt! I think it's too hard to read  easily so it will be a one off. I scrolled down and down the fonts available without ever getting to the end but didn't find Comic Sans which is what I always use when typing on Word.

Maybe I'll try a different font everyday!

Beautiful sunny days here for most of the week and when the patio out the back of the house was in shade I scraped out the moss, soil and weeds from between lots of the slabs and pavers. Amazing what will grow when there doesn't even seem room for a seed to get started. It's not the look of the patio full of weeds that's the problem but rather a clump of weeds collects more dust and dirt around it - then rain water won't run away which  breaks the concrete joints and eventually loosens the slab. It was getting really messy and needed doing before we get too much rain to make bits slimey and slippery.
There was lots of this.......

Yellow Oxalis, Sleeping Beauty (Oxalis corniculata)

"A fairly common garden weed that ought to be welcome for its ability to cover the ground in interesting reddish leaves and bright yellow trumpet flowers. Spreads rapidly, grows anywhere. Very difficult to get rid of, with tiny tubers and lots of seeds."

Also during the week when  the full water butt was in shade I washed all the flower pots that had been used this year - and I reckon some from last year too. Job done.

Just one swim during the week, but only two people booked in for the slow half so we were able to go up and down, rather than round and round. (Last Saturday I had half the pool to myself!) I keep hoping it's not going to get much busier and so far so good, although that's not much help for the finances of Everyone Active - the company who run the pool and the job security of the staff.

 This week I'm grateful for 

  • Sunny September days
  • The letter from the NHS saying no problems seen on the mammogram

 

Tomorrow BiL Andrew is coming with tractor and topper/mower to cut down some of the very weedy bits of the meadow. Don't believe everything you read about the new buzz word............Re-Wilding! What actually happens when you leave a plot to "go back to nature" is that after a few years you get brambles.........not wonderful wild flowers and Silver Birch trees which is what is supposed to happen. It's true we had orchids here that have never been seen here before, but they too are soon crowded out by bigger, hardier stuff. It needs a bit of management. 

 
Hope everyone has a lovely weekend. I hope to make the most of the sunny weather as the forecast for the end of next week isn't too good. 
 
P.S Forgot to reply to comments yesterday. I turned off the laptop early and never went back. A Peahen is a female Peacock and no, there are no wildlife parks anywhere and yes they are noisy. Not seen her now for several days so maybe she's moved on.
 
Back Monday
Sue
 

26 comments:

  1. I didn't know about the different fonts either. I need to explore this, I think. I do like the one you used above. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some really strange fonts available now.

      Delete
  2. Like you, I am going to try out different fonts, I can't resist it. I like this one, and I don't find it difficult to read, but some of them are very difficult. Glad you have Andrew to help. I have booked a local gardener, he was supposed to be here last Friday. Eight days on now, heigh ho! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brother in law is hard to pin down to help! but thank goodness he doesn't mind now and again.
      Some very odd fonts available now!

      Delete
  3. Please, no more font changes, go back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get that Oxalis in my garden and it is a pain manly because unless it is in flower I cannot see it very well. Had a good day yesterday and revarnished my double seat, I went out to weed and saw the varnish in the shed/greenhouse and did that instead so that another good job done. I need to clean all the pots I have used during the year you are ahead of me Sue. Enjoy your weekend everyone.Hazel c uk 🌈🏊🏽‍♀️🏊🏽‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pot washing is not a favourite job of mine so I was glad to get it done.
      The Oxalis started as one small plant on the edge of a flower bed and then suddenly was everywhere!

      Delete
  5. Oxalis doesn;t seem to be around here between paving slabs - what we get is what looks like an ordinary daisy but is in fact Mexican Fleabane it seeds and spreads all over the garden but clumps nicely and covers nicely so I welcome it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm now going to investigate Mexican fleabane - doesn't sound good

      Delete
  6. A friend came to stay, her man took it upon himself to carefully weed all the lovely flowers, which in his eyes, were weeds from the cracks in my garden path. It had taken them ages to colonise the path, in just one morning the path was bald. What could I say on my return? How ungrateful it would have seemed to tell him of my plan to give them free rein!

    LX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand how you felt Lettice about the man thinking they were weeds, my neighbour has been cutting my damson tree down but instead of taking the tallest branches he has cut the shortest so I don't think I will get any damsons next year, still at least he has cleared up for me. Hazel c uk

      Delete
    2. Whoops, best to say nothing I guess.
      The problem with weeds on the patio is that I have to walk across the patio to get anywhere and the when the weeds die back they get all slimey.

      Delete
  7. The font you used is hard for me to read as fast. I didn't know what a peahen was until you got to the end of your entry yesterday then had an "Aha" moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't use this font called Courgette again! but might try other interesting looking ones just for fun

      Delete
  8. I like playing around with fonts in Word, but alwYs end up using Calibri for formal stuff and Comic Sans for other things. Not very adventurous! My blog has only the one option (so far as I can establish). I could pay to upgrade but won't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There weren't many options with old Blogger but this new updated version has dozens to try. New Blogger was difficult to use to start with but they improved it and there are many more options for all sorts of things

      Delete
  9. You know what they say, "Nature abhors a vacuum". That's why weeds spring up in the most uninhabitable places!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need a "vacuum" on the patio to make it safe for winter!

      Delete
  10. Courgette is very hard to read on my screen. Do you think perhaps you set it on italic?

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nevermind, I see Courgette is italic in default.

      Delete
    2. only the bit about the plant copied from another website is in italics .
      I agree about it being harder to read so will revert back to normal or something else on Monday

      Delete
  11. I haven't checked out the fonts as of yet but you made me interested in checking them out.

    I had no problem reading your post.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't looked at the different fonts either, I tend to stick to what I know.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll have to have a looksee and find out what fonts are floating around.
    I detest peahens and peacocks. In a rather well to do neighborhood along the coast the birds have been there for generations. They get vicious and tend to shat everywhere.
    It sounds like you had a good burst of energy and I hope the meadow got mowed.

    ReplyDelete