Wednesday 23 September 2020

How One Thing Leads to Another and Mango Chutney

What gorgeous weather we've had here in Mid-Suffolk over the last few days. Absolutely perfect for Autumn outdoor work, although my list of outdoor jobs to do seems to be getting longer as I start doing one bit of clearing which then turns into finding somewhere else that needs tidying.................the straight forward job of cutting back the Lavender ended up in pulling out a lot of  the Phlomis - Turkish Sage that was spreading everywhere - it might look good in early summer but it's a bit of a bully.

 Brother-in-Law using the topper to clear on the meadow gave me access to the small heap of  road planings that were delivered not long before Colin died. They were meant for patching up pot-holes down the track and most were used. Now I've cut away the brambles that were trailing over the heap I can use some of what's left for doing the edge of the track and just inside my gateway............ it turns muddy in winter because I squeeze through one gate to save me opening both! Another job for the list.

Sometimes I have to switch to indoor jobs to use the things that are growing, so here's another chutney to make use of the big red peppers, hadn't made this one for ages. Possibly another  concocted from a couple of other recipes to make something sweet and fruity to go with curry. One recipe  tried years ago before making this one, turned out even hotter than the curry - not what I wanted at all.

MANGO CHUTNEY

3lb Mangoes ( 3 Very large or 5 small)
½ tsp salt
1 Large Red pepper
12oz cooking apples
15 fl oz distilled vinegar
1 large onion chopped
7oz  gran. sugar
1tsp ground ginger
Slice the mango flesh, place in a non metallic bowl, sprinkle with salt and set aside.
Put vinegar and sugar in a preserving  pan and heat gently until sugar is dissolved.
Add the peeled, cored and chopped apples, mangoes,onion and ginger to pan, bring to boil slowly stirring regularly.
Reduce heat and simmer gently for about an hour, stirring more frequently until chutney is thick with no excess liquid.
Pour chutney into sterilised jars and seal with new sterilised lid.
Leave to mature for 2 weeks and use within a year.
 
Chopped in the pan and ready to cook
 
 
This is what I want it to look like when cooked...... after about an hour or so. I gave it a bit of a mash with a potato masher just to squash a few bits of the mango which didn't cook down so well.

 
Just a tad under 4 jars full, 2 will go in the Christmas hampers.
 
 I've eaten several, given some away, put loads in the freezer, made two lots of chutney and there are still 4 huge peppers - gradually turning to red -  on the plants in the greenhouse!

 Back Tomorrow
Sue

16 comments:

  1. I can never make up my mind about mangoes, some days I love them, other days I don't, but in my mind you can't have a curry without it. Yours looks so delicious, and the colours will brighten up any meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them but rarely buy. Wish they didn't have such a big stone inside!

      Delete
  2. yum, that looks really good.
    Yes, weather has been nice lately. All change today though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mango chutney and will have it with other meals as well as curry, but I do not like the lumps so will always take them out. Silly really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are the lumps?
      I've never bought any and like my smooth recipe

      Delete
    2. The lumps are bits of mango, shows it's real fruit I suppose, but I prefer the smooth which we (or should I say my husband) can't always get.

      Delete
  4. The Mango chutney looks delicious and the colour is lovely.
    I never heard the rain last night but it was wet when I got up so pleased I did not water the garden.
    Made a card for my GD yesterday for she is getting the keys for her first home, she has been saving for a long time, it's only small but she is on the ladder.
    Hazel c uk 🌈🌈🌈

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain woke me - wasn't expecting it so soon.
      Well done for your Granddaughter getting on the housing ladder. It's getting harder to do

      Delete
  5. A light rain here, now all gone and getting out hot again. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a lot of rain overnight and fine all day.
      Now at nearly 3pm the sky is looking very black

      Delete
  6. Looks deliciou and is a beautiful colour Sue. I love chutney. I have not made it for years but I often buy different jars - a lot of people seem to make it to sell in special shops or farmers' markets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the colour .
      There are dozens of recipes out there but I don't do many nowadays

      Delete
  7. I picked the last of my rhubarb today and made a relish. It only made a small jar full but I tried it on crackers and cheese and it was excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your chutney looks wonderful.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete