Friday 11 September 2020

Robin's Pincushion

In the corner of  the back garden among the Rose Hips in the hedge I spotted.............


 "The Robin's pincushion is a red, round, hairy growth that can be seen on wild roses. It is caused by the larvae of a tiny gall wasp that feeds on the host plant, but causes little damage."

Or maybe the explanation by Cecily Mary Barker in her Flower Fairies of the Autumn book is the real one.



Many thanks for comments yesterday. I'm sure I'll grow onions and squash again next year. That's the best thing about growing your own..........there is always next year and anyway I like the little bit of independence - even if it is just 1 squash!


 Back Tomorrow
Sue

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely description. Several species of trees near us are also affected quite a bit by various gall wasps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's lovely, and the words "cause little damage" are so important. One of those things to which leave well alone applies. Not all strange looking things in the garden are seriously detrimental and have their place and purpose in the greater scheme of things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seasons and nature being what it is conditions that cause a disappointment of something favour others. Fortunately it is reasonably rare for everything to fail together these days. Your pears are a good example, even if they are a poor substitute for a a good crop of onions or squash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And that squash will taste better than any you might buy from a shop

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never seen anything like that in a rose bush. My daughter spotted a tomato hornworm on her tomato plant that was layered with white specks - eggs laid by wasps that will kill the hornworm. She let it be since her tomato plants are done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't come across this before. I love the fairy's song, it's delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant Sue...I found one of these the other day and was going to look up how it is caused. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought a set of the Flower Fairies books for my mom and got them back when she died. I'll have to go through them and see if I can find this interesting "thing"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have read about these but never seen one. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the Flower Fairies ... the book was a birthday present when I was 6 ( lo-o-ong ago).

    ReplyDelete