Friday 25 September 2020

The September Library Book Haul

Happiness is......................bringing home a nice heap of books from the library van.

 Some of these are here because they've been mentioned on another book-lovers blog. Others have popped up on the recommended bit of Amazon and  the one by M.W. Craven on the right looks very familiar but  it's not in my book of books read.

Of course Best of All is the Elly Griffiths book - I've been on the very long waiting list for an age. 2nd best will be the Anne Perry book - always a good read.

 I've been wanting to read the Persephone book - Saplings for ages and even have an old original pre-Persephone copy on my shelf but the print is too small to read, finally remembered to order it.

 Also there is a cookery book to look through and  The sustainable(ish)  Living Guide for a reminder of what I should be doing.

And this month I've also borrowed 2 DVDs - because it's still free to borrow them. Third Star on the right has  Tom Burke (Strike) in it as I wanted to see what else he'd done.On the left is a Kevin Costner film I've never seen. My children wouldn't be surprised to see this here! they know KC was my second favourite man after their Dad!


Last Month 

These were the books collected in August. They've all gone back although some were unread for various reasons - mostly because I just couldn't get into them. The 5 read have been added to the separate 'Books Read 2020' Page


Not sure that the September heap will last me through the next 4 weeks, but there are still "quite a few" here on my own shelves to read!

 Back Tomorrow

Sue

19 comments:

  1. You'll fly through The Lantern Men. I treated myself to this in paperback on a rare visit to the shops (7.30 a.m. in Tesco!) I love everything she writes.

    I am about to start on the 3rd book about Eleanor of Aquitane by Elizabeth Chadwick. They are so well written and I am immersed in that time period now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely to have such a great stack of books to get lost within.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finished the The Lantern Men last night - took me two days! I love all her books but like you I think I reserved this back in Feb and was a 100 and something in the queue at the time! I always like looking at what books you reserve to get new authors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry ... pressed Publish before I'd finished. Shame about the brain!
    I have had to give up reading print books - the font is just too small for me to be able to cope with. By reading on my iPad I can raise the size of the font and that makes reading so much more enjoyable. Fortunately my library has a good selection of titles available.
    In fact, during Lockdown I found I wanted the 'comfort' of the past, and have reread Agatha Christie, Ngaio Marsh and now I'm working my way through Dorothy Sayers! Perhaps once the world returns to normal I will be able to cope with the 21st century again. Or not, Brexit and Trump are not a world I find appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good selection of books Sue.
    Hazel c uk 🌈🌈🏊🏽‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking Again by Jan Morris is a surprise book in your heap. It is the best. Read any Jan Morris and your life will be enriched.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got The Little Library Year on reserve from my library. Hope it is in soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love Elly Griffiths. I hope you let us know how it is! I'm not borrowing from the library currently. I am trying to get through some of the books I have in the house so I can get rid of them. I am doing really well, but there are still a lot to go before I can borrow new ones as they would distract me!

    I enjoy seeing your library finds each month. They should keep you busy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You certainly get through some reading material - I seem to remember lots of bookshelves when we came to visit you both a few years ago. I do love your header photograph by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here in Kent I have Home Library Service which has just restarted. Unfortunately we are only allowed 4 books in a month at the moment which is definitely too few for me. We also can’t reserve any books which I am itching to do.....so many I want to reserve.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our local library have just reopened for browsing....before, it was pre-order only. Oddly enough though, my reading mojo has disappeared!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've seen Third Star, be prepared for an interestingly attired Hugh Bonneville, beautiful scenery and ..well, no more spoilers

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to read books I've purchased. Now that I'm home and not tossing items not needed I need to find time to read. We need to get a new DVD player. Ours quit working. If our son can't get it to work, It's dead! Our local library is open but there are time limitations etc. Rainy, breezy day. Thankful the rain reappeared Sept 18!! Wild fires in Oregon need extinguished NOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We have the same taste in books, I am reading the Lantern Men now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the best bit about a library visit is looking at your pile of books with excited anticipation of their treasures! Not all live up to expectations though!! I have been in love with KC for many years - enjoy the movie..

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Anne Perry, I will have to look for that one when our library finally opens.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tom Burke was also in The Musketeers - light-hearted Saturday teatime fun. Don't know whether that would be your cup of tea? Also the recent BBC adaptation of War and Peace - the one with James Norton in the lead.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have The Little Library Year, a friend recommended it and I ordered it straight away. It's currently waiting to be read while I re-read The Salt Path prior to reading her new book. It will have to be patient I seem to be reading things quite slowly these days!

    ReplyDelete