Tuesday 15 September 2020

Preparing for Winter

The Hawthorn hedges are loaded with berries..........traditionally a sign of a hard winter.



....................but more likely a sign of a perfect Autumn.

 Preparing for winter in town or city involves  just buying a new winter coat and a new pair of boots and getting the central heating checked.
(That last thing is something that urgently needs doing here  because 2 weeks ago the timer control thingy went wrong  so the only way I could turn the boiler off was by its main switch, then next day it was OK but the following day it wouldn't switch on!)

But apart from the boiler there are several other things I need to  do to get ready for winter living out here in the country for my 3rd winter alone, especially with possible Brexit problems on the horizon and local lockdown always threatening.

Love a list...........
  • Get the boiler fixed and serviced
  • Get the chimney swept
  • Chop more kindling and bring some wood closer to the house.
  • Put lots of apples into the freezer
  • Make some gooseberry/date chutney for hampers
  • Make Damson jelly for hampers
  • Re-stock with windscreen wash stuff for the car
  • Clear the veg. beds that have finished 
  • Clean out the greenhouse
  • Wash all the empty flower pots
  • Get things ready to lag outside tap and washing machine outlet
  • Make sure cupboards are well stocked with food in-case of bad weather
  • Don't leave Christmas prep until December..............just-in-case.


I used to write a piece each winter for the Suffolk Smallholders Society Newsletter about preparing the smallholding for winter. There were lots of things to do to get ready for feeding livestock and then for lambing. Plus checking and preparing vehicles for bad weather.

It's a bit simpler here.

 Many thanks for comments yesterday.

Back Tomorrow

Sue


28 comments:

  1. That is so true. We still prepare for winter every year even though winters generally aren’t so bad nowadays. We simply never know and like you say, Brexit and Covid, possibly flu, all need to enter the equation. You pipped me to it, my post can wait in draft for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was having the boiler go wrong that reminded me of all the things to do to prepare for winter. Hope the weather doesn't turn too cold before he gets here to repair it

      Delete
  2. I love a list, I need to start winter prepping, I shall use your list to get started. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your list will be so handy especially I must get the central heating sorted because I did not get it done from British Gas because they could not come into the house. I see a few more ideas.
    Thanks you Sue.
    Hazel c uk 🌈🌈🌈

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get your heating serviced before cold weather

      Delete
  4. We are overdue a harder winter, I think, but as things get warmer, it becomes less and less likely!
    I love a list too.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is less likely but then we also have to expect extremes - which might make it more likely!

      Delete
  5. Nature is telling us to expect a hard winter, our cupboards are full, with Covid19, Brexit and winter coming, we thought it best to be prepared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have so much to do - not getting on very well yet

      Delete
  6. Living alone means extra preparedness, for sure. Already stocked up my food cupboard, a little at a time so as not to rob others, and have all my Christmas baking extras ready to go as they always seem to be in short supply come November. Also, finally got preserving sugar!

    I saw a photo on Instagram of a hawthorn that was so completely red it's frightening if the old adage comes true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hedges around here are absolutely loaded with hawthorn berries this year

      Delete
  7. Good shows of berries are a sign of the past seasons not the future as you rightly say and talk of berries indicating hard winters is nothing more than folklore, a bit like Brexit shortages are nothing more than paper talk. We had the Beast from the East two winters ago and I could do without another. I suspect it will be much of a muchness and Autumn will hopefully last through November.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Sue as you have reminded me that, due to the Covid, we never got our boiler serviced in March.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not so much prepping for Winter needed at the Van luckily. I have a good food store, but I will add a little to it if I'm not brining the food from Wales. The pipes under and into the Van stay lagged all year round. All I have to do is dig out the spare double duvet from it's Vac Pac, that gets popped under the mattress protector on the king-sized bed to add a very welcome layer of extra insulation at night.

    I got all the extra throws out last week for snuggling into in the evenings ... but then it went warm again so they are just on the ends of the sofa ready for action.

    Back at home we have three more viewings coming up so I have my fingers tightly crossed. All cash buyers ... where do people get that amount of money from!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I wont be 'brining' the food from Wales I'll be BRINGING it :-)

      Delete
    2. Hope one of those viewing will snap up your house very quickly

      Delete
  10. Sue my \tesco order has just come and I am exhausted just looking at it and the prospect of unpacking it. Reading your list is twice as exhausing but I like the sound of that chutney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must use the fruit in the freezer to make chutney soon so I can make room for more apples

      Delete
  11. love your header pic.
    I agree, this year in particular is not one for leaving festive prep last minute. With that in mind I have been out this morning and made a start on pressies for Violet, and am plotting starting on gathering tinned/frozen stuff for Christmas Day. Just in case another lockdown is suddenly put in place. No need for toilet roll madness, just some good common sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought it was time for an autumn header.
      Good idea to start buying things now - who knows what will happen next

      Delete
  12. It will be colder here than Maryland where we used to live. I've place an order for a new coat to keep me warm. Temps last night dropped in to 30s. Colder weather is on its way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love a good list. Besides being helpful, it feels so good to cross things off! It's hard to believe that winter will be here soon. The Farmer's Almanac here is predicting a hard winter in our area. I love your new header Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your new header photo! Thanks for the reminder re: the furnace. Mine hasn't been checked yet this year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lots to do around here to get ready for winter. Right now we are concentrating on getting the veggie garden and flower beds put to bed.

    Next up will be checking the door frames to make sure they seal well (Hubby's job). I will continue with the processing of various veggies from the garden. First up tomato sauce and ketchup, then freezing some of the butternut squash.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't think I could live my life without lists! Good luck with all your preparations - always good to know you have things in hand :)

    ReplyDelete