Tuesday 15 June 2021

For The Grandchildren Again

Thank you for comments yesterday, I survived the dentist. Didn't enjoy the squishy stuff for taking impressions! Yuck. So one appointment done 3 more to go and no more 75 minute ones - thankfully.

Interesting experience on the way there. You know when a road is closed for "accident investigation work", well I actually saw one of the things they do yesterday when I was held up for 5 minutes.  A police car pulled out of a side road in Ipswich in front of me and promptly stopped with blue lights flashing and blocked the road. The policeman hopped out of his car to tell me and a car behind that they were just holding traffic for a few minutes while they checked the road surface. A police Accident Investigation van - with blue lights flashing - then drove up and down a short stretch of road braking hard each time by the roundabout. After a while we were allowed to carry on to the roundabout where there were more police holding up traffic and doing something on the first exit. There must have been an accident at the roundabout sometime earlier I deduced. (luckily I wasn't late for the dentist).

 

Sunday was car-boot day again and it was very warm morning for a good walk round. I found some Barbie clothes for Eldest Granddaughter (£3) and yet another Barbie - ( who knew there was a doughnut maker Barbie?) in a box (£4) to put away for Christmas and a massive heap of books of the sort that go alongside school projects (all for £1 - bargain)


I also bought another Alchemilla Mollis (Lady's Mantle) for £1 which has gone out in the front garden border to replace one of the horrible 5 Hebes that are here (now  forever known, thanks to a comment, as the heebbie-geebies!) And then this 3 foot Christmas Tree in a pot for £5. This will also go out the front as soon as we get some rain..............hope no one nicks it at Christmas time!



I just missed out on a brand new kettle for £5  - which was annoying as my red spotty kettle...... which was  bought new when we were living in Ipswich in 2016...... has started to get temperamental about switching itself off. Treated myself to a slice of banoffee cake from 'the Cake Lady' to take home and despite going around everywhere twice I was still home for breakfast. (which was toast - NOT the cake!)

The French Open tennis final on Sunday afternoon was a much better match than I thought it would be. I would have liked to have seen Tsitsipas (first Greek player in a final) win against the moaning Djokovic but in reality it was unlikely. But at 22 years old he has lots of years ahead. Then yesterday the first match on grass at Queens Club London for 2 years featured a Brit, Jack Draper - a Wild Card entrant - who did well to get his first win on the main ATP Tour beating Jannik Sinner - an Italian who had played in the French Open last week.

Back Tomorrow
Sue

29 comments:

  1. Some good car boot bargains. "Hiss & Spit" about the lost kettle but hoping another turns up soon. Well done with the plants too. I have totally random placements of Alchemilla mollis all over the bank (and the paddock, where it obviously escaped) so I will have to try and relocate it to where it would look better. It haunted me at the old house as it spreads so easily and was all along the path and in the cobbles and difficult to eradicate.

    Glad you're enjoying the tennis - I was "enjoying" the back of the bookcase and minimal room to paint the wall behind it. Skirting board painting has made my hips ache this morning. I must be getting old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily no decorating needed here for the time being.
      Eventually the living room will need something but no rush

      Delete
  2. We obviously all didn't send enough positive thoughts to Tsitsipas on Sunday. There was a brief moment when I thought he may do it, but only a brief one. We've always called Djokovic 'the possum' and laughed out loud when the commentator mentioned him playing possum at one point. It's a shame really. If he hadn't indulged in such gamesmanship over the years I would admire Djokovic. As it is, despite his obviously fantastic tennis, I can't stand him and hope for every opponent to beat him.
    I saw Roger struggle (for him) to win his first match at Halle yesterday. Some very uncharacteristic mistakes. He's got a lot to do to get his game right for what will likely be his final Wimbledon.

    Strange how one person's plant is a weed to someone else. While I agree about the Heebie Geebies - I just find them boring (sorry hebes) you couldn't pay me to put Alchemilla mollis in my garden. I spent years getting it out at one property. Love the leaves but too much hard work cutting it back before it seeds everywhere.
    However I'm hoping my Cerinthe Purpurascens does spread everywhere as it is pure joy to watch the bees all over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had a problem with the Alchemilla spreading - maybe we are too dry in Suffolk when the seeds fall? I didn't recognise the name of the plant you mention so looked it up - it definitely sounds good for bees. It's not something I've ever grown.

      Look forward to seeing how Andy M gets on today, would hate to see him in pain again

      Delete
    2. Cerinthe is a hardy annual. I've had it growing through my perennial bed where it looked good through other plants. The seeds it makes are satisfyingly big and easy to gather and resow - of course it does drop quite a few on its own :) Mine has just finished flowering after a couple of months. You are meant to be able to cut it back and get it to flower again so I've just done that.

      Delete
    3. You might be right about the dry and Alchemilla. I had a problem with it in SW Scotland. It loved the wet climate there and came up absolutely everywhere. The hypericum that was in the garden did the same. On the plus side my oregano also seeded everywhere and I was a bit happier about that.

      Delete
  3. Some interesting goodies from the car boot, I remember Sindy and Barbie clothes well I use to make my D and friends they would play for hours it's nice to know your GD love them to. A.Morris is such a pretty plant especially when it has been raining. I am not very interested in sport but did enjoy the Summer Holiday film in the afternoon.
    Hope my Hayfever has gone for a while I want to do some gardening.
    Pleased the dentist was not to bad..
    Hazel 🌈🌈

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have been able to get out for gardening. Perhaps the forecast storms at the end of the week will clear the air of pollen

      Delete
  4. Glad the dentist wasn't too bad. Last time I had an impression, he used a 3D scanner which went straight to the people who make the cast, so no nasty, gooey stuff that creeps down your throat! You got some good bargains at the car boot. Shame about the kettle, though. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I'd nearly choked on the gooey stuff he said " if we ever have to do it again we'll use a scanner!" bit late now I thought!

      Delete
  5. Jack Draper did amazingly well. Andy Murray and Dan Evans are playing this afternoon but unfortunately we have to go to a funeral so will have to catch up later (put it on record).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to seeing Andy playing as long as he really is fit enough

      Delete
  6. Cerinathe Purpurascens is a lovely fairly wide tall plant and pulls up very easily, also stays in flower along time. One of my favourite flowers.
    Hazel 🌈🌈

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have very good luck at the boot sales. The Christmas tree is adorable. They make nice architectural focal points in the garden. For the holidays, I put a few strings of tiny white lights on a Christmas tree just like it. I rather like having a decorated out door Christmas tree. Lady's Mantle is hardy, pest free and easy to grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to plant it at the end of a bed in the front garden and hope it just gets bigger and bigger

      Delete
  8. We enjoyed a village yard sale on Saturday. Especially pleased to find 2 stacking garden chairs which are an exact match for ones we have already (we discarded some wooden chairs in April as they were old, too rickety and not safe) So glad dentists was ok

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't heard of any village yard sales this year - sadly, but the Saturday and Wednesday boot sales at Needham Market are starting in July at last

      Delete
  9. Gosh, I hate that gooey stuff, it's worse than a filling. Love the Barbie goodies, what a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never had impressions taken before -new experience NOT to be repeated!, If I'd have known beforehand and known there was an alternative thats what I would have chosen.

      Delete
  10. Buy yourself a nice new kettle of your choice. Dodgy kettles that don't always turn off are no good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly it's OK as I'm standing right there waiting for it to boil and it does turn itself off. Sometimes it doesn't

      Delete
    2. It's the mostly and the sometimes that are the pertinent words here.

      Delete
  11. I am not a Djokovic fan at all, never have been. I was really disappointed when he beat Nadal as he is my all time favourite. Too bad Tsitsipas couldn't keep his level of play from the first two sets for one more. I think Roger is on his farewell tour, whether he's ready for it or not. Hope Andy performs well but I have the same feelings about him.
    Sounds like you're enjoying buying plants for your garden. Over here every kid gets a tiny tiny spruce tree (maybe 6-8 inches) in Grade 4 for Arbor day. They take them home and many of them get planted in the front flower bed right up by the house or plant them close to the front sidewalk. The problem with planting close to the house is the roots spread and spread and as our houses have basements they can damage the foundation. If they are planted close to the sidewalk you can never cut them down when they are huge and block all the light because we don't own the front 8 feet of our yard, it belongs to the city. Consequently the tree belongs to the city and they won't let you cut down any tree and there are huge fines if you do. We see lots of trees on the city part of yards that should have been cut down years ago but you are stuck with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today I've been watching grass court tennis from Queens club London in the run up to Wimbledon - some British winners in the first round, but most of the top names aren't there.

      Sounds like big families would end up with a forest! and annoying if planted in the wrong place.

      Delete
  12. I do admire the way you begin your shopping for Christmas stockings early Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always picked up bits and bobs that I see that will be suitable for presents. There will be 5 grandchildren by then! It will be difficult as they get older and fussier about what they'd like for Christmas

      Delete
  13. Great to wake up and hear on the radio that Andy Murray won his match!

    Michelle in Wellington, NZ

    ReplyDelete