Thursday 8 September 2022

A Rare Thing

 Goodness me - we had some rain! 

Early hours of Tuesday morning I woke to hear that strange noise of falling rain. But when I woke up properly just before 7am the sun was shining again and the day continued cloudy but dry. I wish I still had a rain gauge then I could tell you how much we had and how long it had been since the last appreciable rainfall - although I do know it's months rather than weeks.

I checked the water butts and almost nothing added to the ones off the greenhouse but the big one off the living room roof was full - although it had been half full anyway as I'd had to fill it from the tap to fill watering cans to keep the fruit trees alive.

Hopefully there was enough rain to do the perennials a bit of good.

Monday night was WI in the other village and the meeting had to be moved across the road to the church at very short notice. The Village Hall committee had decided to gut the kitchen without notifying any of the regular hirers! This will be a bit of a problem if it goes on too long as WI have a Soup and Puds fund raiser event planned for the end of October and have already sold tickets. Nobody knows why the kitchen needed redoing as the whole thing was only replaced about 10 years ago and the WI funded a new electric 4 ring hob just 4 years ago.

Ironically the Speakers subject was very apt for a church setting........... " The Ghost Stories of Suffolk". Unfortunately the speaker was a bit "odd". We couldn't decide if things he said were meant to be amusing or not and he frequently repeated bits of sentences before getting to the end of them which made it difficult listening. Never mind - we got through - he had photos on the screen of all the most haunted places in Suffolk including a field in Rougham near Bury St Edmunds where a whole house appears sometimes - on a site that has never had a building on it and certainly not a red-brick mansion which is what many passers by have reported seeing over the last 100 years.

Next month this WI has it's birthday meal out instead of a meeting, which I'm not going to as  I'm not keen on having a big meal late evening nowadays and it's an expense I can do without. This makes me "odd" too !

Back Soon
Sue




25 comments:

  1. No, I don't think you are 'odd' to decline the meal out. If I'm spending money on a big meal like that, it has to be with my "nearest and dearest" as a special treat - and I'd prefer lunchtime not late evening too. I sometimes think the complementary after dinner mints should be replaced by a sachet of Gaviscon or a pack of Rennies! My digestive system does not like being overloaded at bedtimd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did join in the birthday meal a few years ago but it dragged on and on sitting on uncomfortable chairs

      Delete
  2. It sounds like the guest speaker was as spooky as his subject! How odd about that "ghost house" - I wonder what causes that to appear?

    I don't blame you about not going out for the meal - don't think I'd bother either, for similar reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ghost house is an odd one - I'd not heard it before. I'm not going there to look!

      Delete
  3. Much needed rain here too, hope it has done some good for us all. No, you are not alone over the meal. I don't care for rich food late at night, nor the expense of a fancy restaurant. The local WI is the same, but Merched y Wawr {Welsh speaking equivalent} now has a lunch time celebration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just a big chunk of money for one meal. I'd rather treat myself to a takeaway!

      Delete
  4. I’ve been a member of WI for years and I don’t go to the meals either, no idea what they think of me. In Dorset we have had heavy rain, across the roads in places and mud has returned to the village so it’s welly’s for dog walks. Sarah Browne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't join in with several things but do enjoy the meetings with speaker so stick to that.
      We've now had several more downpours here since Monday night, things are looking greener

      Delete
  5. It is really interesting to have a rain gauge and see how much rain has actually fallen. I haven't had one since I came to Hamilton, but I may see if son would like to put one up somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colin once wrote down rainfall for a whole year. The Parish Magazine had other people recording rain in the villages and ours was never the same even though we were only a mile away from the two villages!

      Delete
  6. Not odd at all. I don't like eating large meals later at night nor paying lots of dosh for underwhelming meals.
    Proud to be odd! I call it marching to the beat of my own drum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm OK with being odd too! Been like it a while now!

      Delete
  7. We have luckily just come off 2 full days of rain we are dry but not horribly so it was much needed. The talk topic sounds interesting.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had several more good rainfalls since then - thankfully

      Delete
  8. Looks like you're not in the minority with the meal thing - they can be overpriced and underwhelming can't they, plus the eating too late thing
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just don't get on with late eating now - makes me feel too full to sleep

      Delete
  9. I think it's perfectly reasonable not to want the expense of a meal out in those circumstances. Maybe that makes me odd too.
    We've had rain here today. I had to rush out and get the washing in, darn it. Can't complain about the rain though - it was so needed and still is. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had more rain, hopefully things that looked half dead will recover.

      Delete
  10. Not odd at all, I wouldn't want to pay over the odds to eat out late. That ghostly house sounds amazing. I would be driving past at all hours trying to catch it in the act of materialising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very odd story - hadn't heard it before but Apparently horses and dogs won't go past the site

      Delete
  11. Large meals in a large group do not appeal to me either. Lately, when eating out, I like small portions of foods that I choose. Your WI speakers are generally quite good and bring interesting topics. Believing in ghosts is more common than I once believed. I've had no ghost encounters and remain on the fence. Our weather is definitely cooler and I love it. Everything looks greener from the earlier rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer smaller meals too and hardly any meat and the vegetarian option wasn't very interesting anyway!

      Delete
  12. I would very much have enjoyed the program. Off to google haunted suffolk now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have hundreds of ghosts - one for every old house or pub!

      Delete
  13. Agree with you about big meals later in the day. Since Covid I have only met friends for coffee and scones as I am becoming disinclined to spend money on food I could make netter at home. Catriona

    ReplyDelete