Saturday 10 September 2022

The Week Just Gone

I love the continuity of the Monarchy, no waiting for long drawn out  elections but straight away it's "The Queen is dead, Long Live the King". Although I don't think they still have messengers on horseback riding round the country, blowing a horn and announcing this in every village as they did hundreds of years ago!
 It seems incredible that a Monarchy has survived in this country for so long. Wonder if I'll still be around when Charles passes the crown onto William? With his parents both having such good genes for living a long life it could be more than 20 years until that happens. Will my Grandchildren see the crowning of another George after William? They could be a generation that sees 3 Coronations. 


At last an appreciable amount of rain on several days this week which hopefully isn't too late for the perennials. Isn't it typical than now there's nothing much left to water in the greenhouse the water-butts are now full!

This week I've swum, shopped, been to the Ghostly WI meeting and my own village WI Knit, Stitch and Sew (and natter!) group and not much else until Col's Sister  had a bag of windfall cooking apples for me and I had a net bag for her onions that Brother-in-Law had left here for her so we did a swap.

Apple and chilli jelly was what I decided to make and then I found a recipe in the WI Preserves book for spicy apple jelly so thought perhaps a combination of the two might be OK . 




I only had to buy a chunk of ginger root and a lemon. This is another thing for the Christmas Hampers.


Think I might have made it a bit too hot and spicy!

There are some cooking apples left so perhaps a couple of small apple crumbles would be nice for a change.


This week I'm grateful for

  • A gift of cooking apples
  • Rain to save the garden
  • Good books to read 


Have a good weekend
Back Soon Sue

17 comments:

  1. Elizabeth is the only monarch I have ever known. Now I can actually see a coronation as hers was 3 years before I was born.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here - and in colour - unlike those teeny TVs people watched on all those years ago

      Delete
  2. Quite a week indeed. Torrential rain, thunderstorms and the death of our beloved Queen too. Very sad but not wholly unexpected after seeing her with the new PM on TV on Tuesday. She looked very frail. I was impressed by King Charles' speech yesterday, Sue, his dedication to duty echoed that of his mother didn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My gardener came on Monday and gave everything a really good cut back. By this morning several plants - perennial geraniums, gallardias, osteospermum for a start are in flower again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some of my plants are too far gone to come back - sadly

      Delete
  4. I was up early so I watched a part of king Charles transfer of power.
    It is for the rain here this time of year as we freeze over in the winter and it is nice to get as much water in the ground as possible. Spicy apple jelly sounds interesting you have been busy.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched that too, it was interesting to see something that's never been seen by the general public before

      Delete
  5. I like the sound of that jelly recipe - I probably wouldn't add anything extra, not being that fond of 'hot' stuff!
    Both of my grandmothers saw five reigns, I have now seen two, and wonder what my grandchildren will witness in their lifetimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I made a mistake adding chilli! I'll probably give it all away!

      Delete
  6. The apple jelly looks delicious. Thanks for including the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw the Coronation of Elizabeth, on our new TV! She was older than I was, but I enjoyed reading about her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mum was also born in 1926 like the queen, but she died in 1999 . This Coronation when it happens will be the first I've seen

      Delete
  8. Today I watch a TV biography on Queen Elizabeth II and it was lovely.
    Filling the Queen's shoes is going to be a monumental job. We have to believe King Charles has been well prepared to take on this role.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The BBC has had continuous programmes about the Queen, I'm glad there are other channels. Don't mind watching the live events as they happen but there are just too many reminiscent type programmes

      Delete
  9. It dawned on me that unless something happens to Charles in the next few years, he will be the last King I see in the UK. I will miss the Queen. I liked and admired her very much, her constancy, her work ethic, her style. An era gone.

    I've been more or less offline for the past couple of weeks. I'll never catch up with you, but hopefully I can keep up!

    ReplyDelete