Saturday 24 September 2022

All Sorts From My Week

Last years compost has now been spread over the front border, hopefully some worms will mix it in with the rock hard clay soil once we get rain. And I turned over this years compost into the other bin. Got the grass cut last weekend to tidy up the tatty bits that had grown and it's gradually turning green again. Next job will be to remove the bean tripods, harvest the squash and clear the plants. My Kale and Brussels Sprout plants were completely decimated by everything - flea beetle, white fly, caterpillars and that's despite being covered. They've all gone in the garden waste bin - an expensive and annoying fail. All that will be left in the garden for winter are a couple of dozen small leeks.

This weeks WI speaker showed us Origami - not the Japanese sort where you fold one sheet of paper into animals and birds but Chinese Origami where 3D models are built up from triangles that have been folded from oblong bits of paper. The history of it is HERE. We made flowers, which are supposed to be the most basic thing to do - a very fiddly craft - I nearly gave up before I started!



The speaker and his two daughters had everything prepared for us so we didn't have to fold the 24 triangles or roll up the paper to make a stalk, before we started. He brought lots of very clever models he had made to sell.... penguins, swans, owls etc. Priced from £5 up. I didn't buy one - looked too much like another dust collector!

The picture below is from the internet but he had some just like this. The only glue used is to stick on the eyes.


Reading this week has been "Where the Crawdads Sing". It's a good story, a mix of mystery, coming of age, romance and a way of life forgotten.  I enjoyed it except when it made me cry but  I couldn't see what the fuss was all about. When the film gets round to being on TV I'll try and watch it. 

When you try and join a main road and there is a long line of stationary traffic and the lorry drivers have all got out of their trucks to chat, you know it's time to take a detour - I was heading to swimming and luckily know the back roads to get there. Found out later the air ambulance had been called after a serious crash between three vehicles. Drivers taken to hospital - but no serious injuries. The road was blocked for several hours so I'm glad I found a different way home too, crossing over to my side of the A140 in a different place. How a 3 vehicle accident happens in a 30mph limit is a puzzle.

Yippee do, series 20 of ' Strictly' has started - who knew I would ever say that! But it certainly cheers up an evening when you are on your own and you imagine everyone else is out having fun, partying or at the pub! The launch show was last night after it was delayed a week and the first live show tonight.....another sign of Autumn with Winter on the way.


Back Soon
Sue

17 comments:

  1. I bet it was an interesting talk, but that looks like a very fiddly craft. I'm not sure I would have the patience!

    Glad no one was seriously hurt in the accident.

    I have read that book when it first came out, but I can't say it really stood out for me. I think that sometimes someone really pushes the book and everyone jumps on the bandwagon. Like you, I'll probably wait until the film comes on tv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely haven't got the patience for the origami - would drive me nuts!

      Delete
  2. That looks a really fiddly craft - and a proper dust collector, as you say

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several ladies did buy a model - they must like dusting more than I do!

      Delete
  3. What a shame your winter garden has not been successful. I hope your leeks grow to be a good size so you can enjoy them.
    The origami is pretty, but, yes, certainly a dust collector!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm annoyed about the kale and Brussels Sprouts but there's always next year to try again

      Delete
  4. I laughed at your comment we are all out to the pub on a Saturday night, I can't remember when we last went to a pub, sometime last year for a lunch with friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not been pubbing or clubbing ever but just imagine everyone else is having fun!

      Delete
  5. Yes, Strictly cheered me up last night too-the only thing is I keep thinking today is Sunday! Some garden tidying going on here today. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will be good to see how the celebs get on this year

      Delete
  6. Like you, I am closing down the gardens and preparing for Winter. My bonfire pile is huge again (just like last year). Removing dead limbs from forest trees as well as taking out anything that did not survive the hot Summer makes everything look clean and neat. The origami is swan is impressive and very delicately detailed. The girl next door to me loves origami and she has gifted me a few pieces that I hang on my Christmas tree. She looks for her origami on my tree every year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember origami being on TV as child. I think somewhere I still have the book. The guy who did it was called Robert Harbin - there is some on You Tube

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have lots of clearing to do in the flower borders and will find out what has survived the drought

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you are currently enjoying your strictly viewing this evening. Today I have picked the last of our pears to ripen off the tree. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will have to catch up with the start of Strictly when I get home.

    The origami swan looks amazing but, like you, I think it would just gather dust. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the origami is amazing and I appreciate the mind that creates in this way, but I have always been a bit puzzled about what you DO with the finished piece.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I doubt many of us are out gallivanting on a Saturday night these days. I've been enjoying The Masked Dancer with a nice cup of coffee ... I really know how to live!

    ReplyDelete