Saturday 3 September 2022

Saturday 3rd

Thank you for all the comments about the new wood-burner. Everywhere we lived in our married life we always had an alternative to electric. For 5 years we had an  LPG fire but usually a Rayburn stove or a wood-burner and I always cooked on an LPG cooker. I knew moving here I was going to regret it only being electric and oil heating but I didn't know the electric was going to be off so often!
It was very quick for them to fit the woodburner- being a bungalow the flue didn't have to be too long to get out of the roof and no mess either.

Definitely not needed the fire this week, another glorious sunny week - long may it last.

Had a visit from Col's sister and her husband last weekend, first time I'd seen them, apart from dropping off the Christmas hamper, for over a year. - They only live 6 miles down the road but are very busy and had been seriously shielding all this time. So it was the first time they'd seen the bungalow. It's a bit different to their home which is a very old farmhouse, with huge rooms and big enough to get lost in. 
She brought me a bag of very hot chillies which was so lucky as they were on my shopping list for making another batch of proper Red Hot Relish. I said they would be getting some of the chillies back in this years Christmas hamper!.

I made the Relish and as the first lot was labelled 'Not Very Hot Red  Relish', this batch has been called 'Very, Very Hot Red Relish'..........think I might have over done the chillies a little!

During the week I texted Brother-in-Law to ask if, in his garage full of things that might come in handy, he had any net sacks to store my onions. He said he had "500 - how many did I want?" Just the one I said wondering why he had 500 but after thinking about it I reckon they are at the farm where he and a friend used to do kindling for sale.

Have you noticed an ad on TV for a collection of  "Time-less Classics" books - a part work - a book a week I guess, the first one is £2.99 ( A Jane Austin or perhaps Little Women, I can't remember) then the next 74 are £11.99 each!. Add that lot up and then guess who  won't  be subscribing - they are all available in the library for free for goodness sake.

This week I have been grateful for
  • A gift of hot chillies for making relish
  • Enjoying the late summer sunshine
  • Reading and enjoying ' The Bookwoman's Daughter'
  • Planning for winter warmth
  • Lots more peppers put into freezer


And finally - apologies to my cousin A - if she reads this. It's her birthday today and although I wrote the card in plenty of time, I forgot to post it.........twice! Duh!

What have you got happening this weekend? I'm doing some unexpected Nanna duty over by the coast and going to a car boot sale of course. There's garage sales in a nearby village too. No rain forecast here for Saturday or Sunday but more unsettled weather next week although the % chance for rain here is never more than 60% .

Back sometime next week
Sue

23 comments:

  1. Your woodburner looks fab! And you've room on top to boil a pan or 2 if needed. Batch cooking for the week/month ahead is on my agenda plus visiting the allotment to put cardboard over the empty beds in preparation for Winter. Rather autumnal feel here today xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The woodburner will be very useful if we have more power cuts. Lots of garden clearing needed here too

      Delete
  2. I’m with you Sue - the library all the way. I live on the border of two counties and so am a member of two libraries. In addition to borrowing physical books I borrow electronic ones. With the amount I read it would be a very expensive hobby if I purchased all the books I read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once added up the value of a heap of library books and it was well over £100 - every 4 weeks!

      Delete
  3. My son-in-law would love your hot relish - me not so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think I should have held back on a couple of the chillies - they were hotter than I thought!

      Delete
  4. They will have people who purchase those books. It always amazes me.
    very hot relish is not for me but some spice ok.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can never understand the part work publications they always cost a fortune

      Delete
  5. Someone will have money to burn on those books, for certain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very attractive looking books - but what a price!

      Delete
  6. I have children and grandchildren coming tomorrow for a cookout - just hotdogs and bratwurst. It will be a nice day and the grandkids will have lots of fun playing together as they haven't seen each other in a while.
    Hope you have good luck at the sales!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when the little cousins all get together , they are so excited to meet up every time

      Delete
  7. This is the Labor Day long weekend in the US. I have 2 BBQ's to go to. One on Sunday and another on Monday. It is definitely cooler, especially at 6 AM. I've been outside early enjoying the coolness and hiking in the woodlands with my dog. I got the John Deere out yesterday and cut the grass where it grows in the shade. The sunny spots are still patchy from all the Summer heat and no rain. Your relish sounds so good and having mild and extra hot will make everybody happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My "lawn" is brown and dusty except for the patches of clover - it's a real mess

      Delete
  8. I will have to look for Bookwoman's Daughter. It's a sequel. correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand it's a sequel but I've not read the first one and it doesn't matter

      Delete
  9. I love your this week I'm grateful for section - amongst all the doom and gloom it's good to remember how fortunate most of us are isn't it?
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me remember all the good and happy in life .

      Delete
  10. Today has been a bit busy one war and another and I'm looking forward to seeing Beth and Alex tomorrow. Your weekend sounds lovely. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A late night drive home from the Nanna duty - don't drive far at night nowadays - now I'm exhausted!

      Delete
  11. That's a lot of money on a set of books, how much better it would be to turn it into a challenge of finding them all in charity shops ... I'm sure I could do that. But I have no more room on my shelves, especially for classics that i doubt I'll get around to reading.

    I do miss having a log burner, and being able to fire it up briefly on a cool night with just one filling of logs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did a batch reading of your last 10 posts. Busy days here. I wanted to tell you how lovely is the quilt on the couch by the woodburner. Nice colors for Autumn.
    It's Labor Day weekend here in the States and today is Sunday. Friday evening we did a stock up at Sam's Club (tomatoes are in short supply here so I got canned sauce.) Yesterday we brought the 4 Littles (grandchildren) to the Farm for some fun and to give Mommy a break. We took them out for lunch and then home for naps. Farmer continued to move dirt in the cattle lot and I took a short nap and then housework and laundry and then farm bookwork. Today we are resting. Tomorrow we plan to have the Littles and parents out for grilled burgers and sausages. Then back to work on Tuesday. I'll be dehydrating onions this week and will continue to freeze the tomatoes as they come in. Later this fall, I'll do a big canning of tomato sauce. I also need to harvest more Chard for drying and canning. Thank you for sharing your life. I always enjoy reading what you are up to.

    ReplyDelete