Wednesday 19 April 2023

750 Different Cheeses!

 Way back at the beginning of my month of eating meals based on Supermarket Value brands, someone told me they preferred much better quality - and mentioned enjoying Baron Bigod cheese. Now I already knew this is a brie type cheese made in Suffolk near Bungay - on the Suffolk/Norfolk border. I've never tried it - it's very expensive- but had I'd seen it at a Farmers Market. 

We also have cheeses, made more locally, that I have tried, produced  not far from me just a few miles down the A140, 

This got me wondering how many cheeses does the UK produce?  (Sorry I can't get rid of the coloured background without re-typing the whole thing!)


There are over 750 cheeses produced in Britain today, from classic cheddars to more unusual modern varieties.



Another comment about the Value Range Experiment (I do like to remind commenters of the odd things they say!!) said why was I buying rubbish when I'd sold my house and had plenty of money!

So as I have "plenty of money" and there are 750 cheeses to try this struck me as an excellent idea for an occasional  series of posts .......... could this be a first for blogland?!

 I popped into the nearest farm shop and bought two pieces of the four Suffolk Farmhouse cheeses that are made just down the road at a farm and diary we visited with WI a few years ago.

As well as Suffolk Blue and Suffolk Brie they also do Suffolk Gold and Suffolk Blue Brie.



This is what I wrote about our W.I visit in 2019


Jason and Katherine started their business making cheese with milk from their Pedigree Guernsey  cows in 2004 but it was 2009 before they were able to buy this farm and have everything in one place.

We had a look round the farm. Saw the cows and the robotic milking machine - installed in 2017 and Jason told us  about the care of their milking herd, their feeding regime, health checking (Katherine is a vet- handy!) and how the computer chips on collars around their neck works just like a fit-bit relaying information to his phone day and night. (Not a new concept for me because at the smallholding we lived just a mile from one of the first farms in Suffolk to install a robotic milking parlour, although they retired and sold up before we moved away). By using a robot machine the cows can wander out to the fields, in and out of the barn and then through the milking parlour whenever they like day and night. The machine recognises each cow and automatically washes the teats and fits the vacuum pump. If the cow has decided to go through the robot machine too soon after it's last milking then the gates open again, the cow gets no feed and soon wanders off........clever stuff.

They also keep a Hereford bull. Jason uses Artificial Insemination for the dairy herd to get pure bred cows - the females are added to the herd and the males kept for veal. But if A.I. doesn't work on some cows he lets them run with the bull to produce a cross breed calf which can be grown on and sold as beef.
Their first cheese they produced was called Suffolk Gold, quickly followed by Suffolk Blue. Then they started making a Suffolk Brie and just in the last few weeks now also a Suffolk Blue Brie.
As well as the cows he also keeps a few pigs, which are fed partly on the whey left from the cheesemaking and they send them off to a local butcher who makes sausages of all sorts  plus gammon and bacon.
The couple have a farm shop which is open through the week to sell their cheese, pork products, veal and beef but they also have a self-service vending machine to sell their fresh pasteurized milk. So you can go almost any time to buy milk and eggs.
Jason was very excited to tell us that they are in the process of importing butter and cream making machines from Eastern Europe so that very soon they will be adding fresh Guernsey Butter and Cream to the farm shop. They will be one of only 2 farms in East Suffolk making their own butter to sell and he said the other farm's butter is Very Expensive.

 I had tried the cheese before but not recently and I've tried the delicious butter when doing the Eating Local Challenges - but it's expensive for every day use.

When I un-wrapped the Suffolk Blue to eat a piece with my home made cheese straws it didn't look like other blue cheeses and was a mild and creamy blue rather than strong and tangy.

I'm looking forward to seeing what other artisan cheeses from other parts of the country I can find for sale.

Back Tomorrow
Sue



40 comments:

  1. As long as it doesn’t break your budget it sounds like a fabulous idea. Given the chance I’d eat soft cheeses every day….especially when they get ripe (and soft)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all cheeses although mild cheddars are a bit tasteless

      Delete
    2. Sue doesn't have to worry about breaking her budget--she made plenty of money when she sold her house! LOLOLOLOL How rude to make a comment like that! And how, well, dumb. What that person does not realize is that you don't necessarily spend big when you make some money. In fact, NOT spending big is why we have money!! It becomes a very satisfying and enjoyable lifestyle. I loved the posts about the value range experiment. I don't have to buy value range products, but I always do! And, if I happen to get something we don't like, I just don't buy it again. No biggie.

      Delete
  2. That many - I had no idea. I knew we had a wide variety of cheese but wow!
    I treated myself to some Suffolk blue when I was on holiday in Southwold - There's a very nice little cheese shop close to the Adnams shop. It was lovely, I thought.
    What a brilliant idea for an occasional series. I'm looking forward to more now!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of the family love cheese and we get through a lot, so it will be interesting to see your next project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll see what I can find for sale locally - should be very tasty

      Delete
  4. This will be a most interesting series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope I can find some to try from further away

      Delete
  5. I much prefer to buy local cheeses if I can. Occasionally we buy goats cheese (both hard and soft varieties) from the goat farmer's stall at the Saturday market, but it is too expensive for every day. Otherwise we buy Manx cheeses from the local shops. Our dairy doesn't have the right equipment to make soft cheese though so we have to buy imported. I shall look out for Suffolk brie. We only get Cornish or French here generally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Suffolk Farmhouse Cheeses are only sold locally as they are just a small dairy

      Delete
  6. I highly, highly recommend Baron Bigod by Fen Farm Dairy out of Bungay which isn’t that far from you. Baron Bigod is an amazing Brie. It freezes very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I mentioned them above as I know where I can buy it from a local farmers market sometime

      Delete
  7. I do love a good cheese. We are blessed with some good local ones here too. I read something only yesterday saying that cheese is going up by approximately 80% in the current financial crisis. So you must be very wealthy indeed. LOL. I think the high volume of cheese producers is down to that milk quota scandal. Was it in the 1980s? Farmers turned their hands to making cheeses and delicious ice creams instead of pouring the milk down the drains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They get paid a pittance per litre for milk so making cheese themselves maximises their income

      Delete
  8. Wow, I had no idea that there were that many cheeses produced in the UK ... and of course now that you have 'plenty of money' you are free to buy as many of them as you want.
    I wonder how many dairy-free cheeses there are now? I bet that number has drastically risen in the last couple of years, and yes, some of them are pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea about Dairy Free - you will have to have a search and another challenge!

      Delete
  9. Ooooo, a cheese tasting experiment! Love that idea!! I just delete and forget comments that comment on how much money they 'think' I have. Hint: none of anyone's business!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should be interesting to see what I can find - I know the Co-op do some from further afield but packed locally

      Delete
  10. 750! The series will be like the Monty Python cheese shop sketch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon I'll only find around 10.
      I hated Monty Python even though everyone else found it hilarious. I'm a bit odd!

      Delete
  11. i will buy any yellow sticker weird cheese i find on my travels , but im a cheese addict

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could find some reduced but that's so unlikely round here

      Delete
    2. I have just discovered our local Kroger has a discount refrigerated case where they offer beautiful, imported cheese at over 1/2 off the regular price. I have experimented with a French camembert which I had never tasted before and another creamy French cheese whose name I can't recall. I call those types of cheese the ones you can taste through your nose. I even like the rinds. I would have never paid $11. for 4 ounces of cheese so finding them on sale was a real bonus.





















































































































































































































































































































































      Delete
  12. Well first I think that someone should presume just how much money you do or don't have is pretty rude.
    I do like to buy local if possible I love blue cheese but it can get a bit to tangy.
    Crumbled in a salad is the best way for me to eat it.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do love a bit of blue cheese but it doesn't love me - nuff said!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  14. The trouble with buying things like this is that when one lives alone often the stuff goes off before one has eaten it all I find. I only buy it when I know someone is coming to help me eat it while it is fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm with you on Monty Python, unfunny sexist stuff. But you tend to get shouted down if you say so.

    I love your Tour de Cheese plans, as a cheese aficionada.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 750 varieties of cheese being produced in England surprises me. Locally made specialty cheese will be fresh and delicious. Buying from the maker when you can will be fun also. Jason and Katherine have an amazing farm and store. Their operation sounds very state-of-the-art. Your tour must have been fascinating. I recently tried goat cheese and it was good but also surprisingly a little bitter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. People are rude to comment on your money. Eat what you want and enjoy your cheese exploration if you like.
    I'm pretty cheap so I usually buy what's on sale. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a cheek to comment on your finances. I thought it was a brilliant experiment, so well done for doing it and reporting on your finings. I too like to budget and often buy items when they are on the reduced counter. Often they can be frozen to use another day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing the variety of available cheeses on offer though we boring fold tend to stick to the same few! x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Interesting to find that your area produces such a variety of cheeses.
    I had a chuckle when I read that someone actually commented on your financial condition ( and why did you eat rubbish). Nothing like starting the day being amused.
    Belated birthday wishes from British Columbia.
    Granny Marigold

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fun idea! I will look forward to your cheese-y posts. I do rem when you went w the WI to the cheese artisans.
    I love cheese and trying new ones, tho I doubt I can find your local cheeses here. My fave classic English cheese is a striped fancy that is a Stilton and cheddar combo. So pretty!. I get it every year for Christmas Eve charcuteries platters. And those cheese straws, something fun to make, on my list now, along w the pasty you made. Thanks.

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Goodness, never mind having ‘plenty of money’ after selling the house, you were most likely ‘loaded now’ when you were widowed! This is certainly One of the things said to me.
    Be positive - ‘you’ll never have to worry about money again’. Not true, just some of the stupid things people say.
    I’m really enjoying these last 2 challenges. X

    ReplyDelete
  23. Here in France there are lots of yummy cheeses - but I find myself hankering after a good Cheddar. Or a tangy Lancashire bomb. Strangely, we don't eat that much cheese now.

    ReplyDelete
  24. 750 - that's staggering! I love your informative posts. Some of the comments have me shaking my head sometimes, I wonder what gets into people. Local cheeses would great. We have a goat farm not too far from where I live and they have now branched out to sell cheese to local delis.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my! That cheese sounds so good -- I think I would have bought exactly the same as you. I'm in awe of 750. Yes, try them all -- and share your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow that is a lot of cheese! I love cheese. I miss English cheeses.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think it would be a wonderful Boone to small businesses to have their dairies featured and their cheeses discussed. Who knows? They might wind up offering you free samples just so you can write about them!

    I was (and still am) shocked by a person who would feel themselves qualified to discuss someone else's finances. Of course, these folks make their rude comments anonymously...they know they are being rude!

    ReplyDelete