Monday 3 April 2023

Day 28 V.R.E + Blackbirds

 Yesterday we had the best sunniest day there's been for weeks. It was due to be followed by a frost, so when I look out this morning I'm hoping to see the fig tree is still OK and the early flowers on one of the young pear trees and on the magnolia haven't turned brown overnight. Fingers crossed.

Thanks to Jan who was able to tell me what odd conspiracy theory I'd heard on the radio in the middle of the night - no wonder I'd not remembered it as it sounds like some sort of nightmare! Apparently in  towns and cities all facilities like shops, schools, doctors etc will be within 15 minutes of peoples homes - not for convenience but to keep people within their own area. They will not be allowed outside of their area! This is believed to be true in many places............ Have to say I'm a tad doubtful.

****************

Another garden visitor who also makes an appearance in the book "A Sparrow's Life's as Sweet as Ours"

Photos from a few weeks ago while the flowering cherry was still in bud.




And the illustration from the book

From the information page I read
The ousel-cock, so black of hue
With orange-tawny beak
which was sung by Bottom in A Midsummer-Nights Dream. Lots of birds were named Ousel until the C17 when they got separate names. 
Blackbirds declined during the late C20 but have increased in the 21st century and were the 4th most common in the 2018 R.S.P.B. Great Garden Birdwatch. Blackbirds are native to Europe, Asia and North Africa and have been introduced to many other parts of the world. Many of the Blackbirds we see here in winter have arrived from further north to spend their time in a slightly milder climate.

*********************
The meal for Day 28 was the 3rd Tuna, Pasta and Broccoli Bake from the freezer. I didn't take a photo as it was just the same as the other two days I'd eaten it.

Total spend so far is £72.03 + £2.20 for the 4th box of decaf frothy coffees = £74.23. 


Back Tomorrow
Sue

26 comments:

  1. I love the Blackburd song. It was one of the things I missed most when we lived in Tenerife back in the 1980s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We found out just a week or so ago that Blackbirds are a species of Thrush. I guess it shouldn't have been surprising when we actually thought about it for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rarely see a Thrush nowadays - they were common in the 60's

      Delete
  3. I'm wondering if you heard that conspiracy theory on Saturday? As in April Fool's Day? Our blackbirds are busy building nests - I had to put me wee straw dog planter in the hut to stop them pulling him apart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 15 minute city idea is a real thing but not to control people!

      Delete
  4. Sadly, there are some strange people promoting that conspiracy theory in Australia, too. An attempt by the Government to control us, apparently. 😁
    In many outback places, the residents would think that was a wonderful luxury !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be good in the countryside here too!

      Delete
  5. Yes, ours also head South in winter, look out for blackbirds with dark beaks, they'll be the Scandinavian visitors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we lived near the East coast of England we always saw many visiting blackbirds in the winter

      Delete
  6. Mr ans Mrs Blackbird have, as usual, nested in my hedge. I had my lawn scarified last week and what a beanfeast they had when the gardener had gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to have one nesting here but not enough cover and a cat next door

      Delete
  7. We have a couple of beautiful blackbirds that have been visiting the fat blocks that Alan has been putting on the bird table recently. Both male and both friendly with each other, but how long that will last at this time of year I really don't know. How many days are there left on the challenge now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Found there was enough to make 31 meals - so nearly finished

      Delete
  8. The conspiracy you heard on the radio reminds me of the one broadcast by Orson Wells, which I understand had a lot of people panicking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Town and city planners really are hoping to get facilities closer to people so they can drive less - but not to control everyone!

      Delete
    2. Joan - War of the worlds - brilliant comment

      Delete
  9. Blackbirds have overtaken the friendly Robin for me as favourite bird - last year our resident brown bird was widowed shortly after her eggs had hatched, she worked literally from dawn until dusk to feed those babies and I would help her by digging up loads of worms from our veg patch and putting them on the lawn for her, she got so used to me being around that she would come and wait where I was working!! After about a week of this we bought mealworms and soaked them - she hoovered those up too and managed to fledge all 3 babies :)
    Alison in Wales

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spring frost is always worrying when our trees are in flower. Currently, my trees are still in bud. A few years ago, the frost over night hit all my Spring flowering trees. It is disappointing when this happens. Nature is harsh, for sure. Conspiracy theories are just that and not to be taken seriously. I do not understand how some people get so caught up with this one-off thinking. Occasionally, I see 2 Blackbirds and I wonder if there is a nest nearby. I hope your trees are ok.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really enjoying seeing the comings and goings on our feeders...mind you they soon let me know how unimpressed they are if I am late in filling them. If a bluetit can give you a fierce stare then I've certainly had a few of them this past couple of weeks or so! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photo and I love that book. You inspired me to buy it lol. I saw some spring birds today! I was so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful day today. The 15 minute city scaremongering is ridiculous

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, those conspiracy theories!!! MInd you, to have everything needed close by sounds wonderful! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely book. We're hoping the frost won't kill our blossom, too. Very cold again this morning - minus 3!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the bird photos. I feed our birds almost every day and I like when the visitors arrive such as Towhees and Buntings.

    ReplyDelete