Saturday 8 April 2023

Easter Saturday

 If you didn't see yesterday's post it was a round up of the total costs of my month of eating meals mainly based on a limited range of supermarket Value/Essential products. It got me back cooking some things I'd not done for a while (like doing myself a roast chicken or toad-in-the-hole meal)  which I'll carry on with as well as eating my frozen batch made home made curries and pasta sauces. I shall be making pizza dough myself using the bread-maker now I know it freezes well after just 5 minutes in the oven. I'm also going to do a batch of the fish curry as that's different to the Thai-red and the squash/spinach curries that I usually make in bulk. Chicken thigh joint meat used as a stir-fry wasn't as good as chicken breast meat which is what I normally use and the value frozen mixed vegetables were too bland and tasteless to use again.

Thank you again to everyone who commented over the month.

*******************

 Easter Saturday and this is a first...............There are NO Easter eggs in the house! I stopped eating chocolate last summer when the weather was so hot and haven't started again so didn't bother with an Easter egg - even though it was my favourite sort of chocolate. 

So...........what have I been up to this week?...........well, the regular every-three-years mammogram last Saturday and dentist on Monday, so bits of me have been examined! Then bits of me got exercised at the Keep Moving Group, it's going well with two new people joining .

WI was interesting with a lady from the Charity Medical Detection Dogs coming to speak to us. They train dogs to detect disease and infections from samples in a lab and also train dogs to do medical assistance for people with things like Type 1 Diabetes who could be prone to problems during the night. Just so incredible how clever these dogs are. After the talk there was coffee and cakes of course and as it's my birthday month it was my turn for a Birthday Posy.




Next was an early drive over to the coast to pick up Eldest Granddaughter for a couple of days while youngest daughter was working. I think we did every craft suitable for a 6 year old that I could think of! And then a round  trip to take her home again.

Hoping for decent weather for the rest of Easter weekend although I've got nothing much planned apart from recovering from having Granddaughter here - she wakes up much earlier than I usually do! and preparing for arrival of Eldest Daughter and the Surrey Grandsons at the end of the week.  There are car-boot sales - if the weather is OK and an Art Exhibition to have a look at.

Have a good Easter Weekend, I'll be back Tuesday.

Sue



35 comments:

  1. Enjoy your weekend! Children take a lot of energy but I bet you had lots of fun! It's great to make memories with your grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have had a busy time. Time with grandchildren is always special. Great memories for you both.
    Happy Easter
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she will have good memories of staying.

      Delete
  3. All that activity would wear me out. I have become too lazy these days. Happy chocolate-free Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not craved an Easter Egg yet but it still might happen!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you it's a week or so away in the middle of the month

      Delete
  5. I recognise your tiredness - we had our 4 year old grandson yesterday - his attention span playing with a toy or a game is getting longer now but like the two granddaughters he likes to have played with every toy I keep here before he goes home - even the Sindy kitchen which belonged to my daughters.
    I saw your review of the value challenge yesterday and I did wonder if it was cheaper to buy the tin of grapefruit rather than a fresh one - or is it that you like the fact they are ready prepared in a tin? I have tried value ranges before but do find they are lacking in flavour. My daughter shops at Aldi and although her fresh veg is certainly cheaper many items like the carrots and cabbage are often tougher and more tasteless than the organic veg I get from Sainsbury's and the grandchildren waste a lot more at home than when I cook veg for them - so I think it is better for me to pay more and enjoy a meal - but we each make our choices don't we based on affordability and taste. Have a lovely Easter. We are having a recovery day today too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tins of grapefruit make 3 breakfasts and handy to keep in the cupboard as a change from toast.
      Hope you recover from too - I slept much better last night so back to normal today

      Delete
  6. I too love good fresh fruit and veg, we get ours locally off a trader, we love toad in the hole, now we make it using pigs in their blankets (small sausages wrapped in bacon), taste much better. We have saved small pie foil cases and hubby has frozen a few with pigs and batter in, so we can defrost and bake, not tried them yet, the theory is sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pigs in blankets in a yorkshire pud sound very tasty!

      Delete
  7. Enjoy your weekend and Happy Birthday. (My birthday is in April, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your weekend and hopefully good weather for car booting. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was out this morning and it was fine, rain for Monday I think

      Delete
  9. WintersEndRambler8 April 2023 at 11:53

    The definition of grandchildren should read something like...little people that come into your life when you have diminishing energy but still much love to give. Exhausting but so rewarding! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a joy - but this is when I miss their Granddad most

      Delete
    2. I live alone and have just had my 2 granddaughters for 6 days. Yes exhausting but so enjoyable .
      Best part - giggles when youngest ( 4yrs ) asked me ( 64 yrs ) what I wanted to be when I grew up !!
      Priceless.

      Delete
  10. Happy EASTER, a lot of health, happiness and joy every day,greetings anna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Easter - I love Easter egg chocolate too, but I haven't been very restrained I'm afraid to admit! Children can be so exhausting can't they? But always lovely to see them x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand what's happened to me as I used to love chocolate

      Delete
  12. Happy Easter. I made a point of not having chocolate in the house this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of extra calories in chocolate - but not eating it hasn't made me lose weight!

      Delete
  13. Happy Easter, Sue! I have some of my kids and grandkids coming for brunch tomorrow so I have a bit of chocolate for them. I know what you mean about visitors wearing you out! I'll be tired on Monday!!
    Have a pleasant weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Easter. My son is coming today, Holy Saturday, for our Easter dinner. He's working Easter Sunday, so we flex. He brings tiny chocolate eggs and jelly beans for dessert, so there will be eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Easter, Sue, enjoy your weekend. No chocolate eggs here either but hubby is working tomorrow (although why he has to go in when the store is closed beats me) and I've been invited to our daughter's for lunch. There will probably be chocolate involved there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I couldn't resist dropping so many hints about Easter eggs to Alan and even pointing out the exact dairy-free one he could buy me if he was so inclined ... there's just something so yummy about chocolate when it is in that egg shape.

    I hope you have had a lovely Easter weekend with your family. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope you enjoyed your Easter.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete