Monday 24 April 2023

Earth Day Outing and TV

 Yesterday afternoon turned really wet - it probably washed the beetroot seeds that I'd sown in the morning right out of the ground. I'd had enough of snooker so took a break to watch Magpie Murders - the crime series from Anthony Horowitz's book. Much of it is set in Suffolk.  It was funny to see the character arrive in Woodbridge Station and then quickly drive to a village that was Kersey - which is actually miles away across country from Woodbridge. I've tried to read the book twice and after watching the series now understand why I couldn't get into it as it's a complicated tale jumping backward and forward in time with two lots of interesting characters, some of them crossing between times. Much easier watched than read, even though the Suffolk accents were dreadful.

This is my painting of Kersey by the late Suffolk artist Brian Lilley- one of my best Car-boot bargains.



When I was at the Art Exhibition at Easter this poster was up in the Community Centre. It sounded interesting so I called in after the car boot sale on Saturday.

Unfortunately there were only a few stalls but I picked up a free one portion rice measuring scoop from the Suffolk County Council stand. The one I got years ago is in the Washing Soda Crystals tub.



Earlier at the boot sale all I'd bought were a couple more plants - large New Zealand Flax and another lime green Heuchera (I planted one out the front the first year here but can't see it from indoors)These are both planted in the back garden - replacing a dead something - I think it was an Hydrangea - that fizzled out in last years heat. 
And this useful find for £3. I put it to use it straight away to replace the fleece I'd used to try to cover last years chard which is leafing up again. I'm going to try and protect almost everything this year due to the pigeons and next doors cat!


I bought two similar but longer net tunnels online - they will go down the length of the vegetable beds - this smaller one is ideal for across the width.


Back Tomorrow
Sue


22 comments:

  1. I misread the label. I thought you were going to grow your own poppadoms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That rice-for-one scoop is useful. I have a (1970s?) metal scoop which I regularly use. Probably an item I bought for my "bottom drawer" . . .What a lovely painting too - not often such lovely things turn up at Car Boot Sales The veg cover a good buy as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to know exactly how much rice to use for two people - it was Half a specific mug full - but for just me I keep getting it wrong.
      I've had the painting for years - found it unframed for just a couple of £ at a boot sale we only used to go to once a year as it was miles away

      Delete
  3. Earth day is not published much at all, it seems not enough of us cherish our planet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was only by luck that I saw the poster - but there were only half a dozen or so stalls .

      Delete
  4. Shouldn't every day be an Earth day really?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am fond of Heucheras I find them good value in both the rockery and the herbaceous borders - and there are so many different ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ladies Mantle and Heucheras are two of my favourite perennials. I've now got three of each here.

      Delete
  6. I read Magpie Murders and enjoyed watching the television series. I'm reading a Norfolk murders series and listening to a detective series set in Lincolnshire, so I've got conflicting accents going round in my head. My brother-in-law was a Norfolk man and I went to college in Lincolnshire.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're watching the magpie murders - makes a change for run of the mill dectective series. That rice scoop is a good idea, far easier than weighing the stuff or guessing.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cheated and watched the whole series on i player.
      I think the rice scoop might still be too big although it's supposed to be one person. They do a spaghetti measure too, sometimes they (Suffolk County council Recycling) give away jute shopping bags but they are probably too expensive now.

      Delete
  8. Oh, how I do envy you your day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have got a good eye for finding the best bargains at your boot sales. My friend and I always like to hit the local resale shops when we are out exploring and she always finds the best things hidden among all of the little stuff! I think you have that knack too, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’ve been using those tunnels for the past few years and find them really useful until the vegetables outgrow them. I’m now wondering about something similar that you can actually walk into!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Kersey painting is lovely and an amazing boot sale purchase. That was a very lucky find. Now is perfect for adding new plants/shrubs. I've just added a few Golden Threadleaf Falsecypress to a small slope on the South-West side of the property. Ladies Mantle is a wonderful plant; mine grows well too. Sadl, my Heuchera got eaten by wildlife. Hopefully, your new poly tunnel will protect the plants well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Several of my Heucheras didn't make it through the winter. I bought 2 this morning, ones I haven't had before. One is September Mom and the other is Autumn Glow.
    The tunnel looks like something I should get to keep Miss Kitty out of the raised veg box.
    Granny Marigold

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goid luck with your planting this year. Horowitz is a very good, and yes, complicated, plotter. I'm rewatching early seasons of midsomer murders, a couple of which he wrote the screenplay for. I do tend to get characters I and names mixed up.

    ReplyDelete