Saturday 29 April 2023

That's April Almost Finished

I keep forgetting to say "Hello and Welcome" to more followers. It would be good if  a few more people clicked the button, simply because it will move the pictures down and get rid of the annoying gif thing that someone used for their follower picture. It moves and catches my eye every time I open the lap top  - which of course in the great scheme of things isn't really a problem at all!

Thank you to everyone for comments yesterday. The reason I've not done a church post recently is because the last three I've visited were all locked. There have been several church thefts lately which always happens when the economy isn't going well so I don't blame the parishioners for keeping their churches closed. I've "done" so many local ones and driving miles only to find a church locked is a bit of a nuisance. I will try again when the weather gets better.

So what was April like?.......Quite chilly but not as wet as March I think sums up the weather. My heating oil tank is down to 7 bars = about 980lts so will be OK well into the autumn. Plenty of wood and kindling still here.

Some chunky expenses this month - TV Licence and House Insurance and a whole list of price increases - Council Tax, Phone/Broadband and even swimming has increased from £2.75 to £3. No more government help with electric either. But there are two things that have decreased - diesel for the car and our Keep Moving Group. 
And once again my months electric was free thanks to the government 'help with energy costs' money which has now stopped. I'm still in credit so the May bill should be free too unless unit charges jump up by some enormous amount.
Nothing needed doing at the dentists thankfully so just their extortionate cost for a 10 minute check up. Suffolk was making the National news during the month with NO dentists taking NHS patients - but I think it's been like that for a year or two at least.
Garden expenses are always more than I think because every spring I get carried away with plant purchases. Also got the net mini tunnels and 10 new canes ready for beans plus more multi purpose compost.
My personal spending was mainly swimming and the Keep Moving Group, a couple of second-hand books and printing out some grandchildren photos for the photo frame. Plus a new pair of denim leggings from Asda and the piece of Moorcroft pottery.
I only filled the car up with diesel once but will need to fill up again when I get the car back from Son and DiL who have been borrowing it while their car had an MOT. It's complicated for them with school and work all in different places - and their car failed meaning work needed doing which they can't get done very quickly. (If I'd have known 2 years ago which school these two grandchildren were going to attend then I might have moved to a different village to help - except there was nothing for sale there at the time and they were still too young to think about schools)

Other than those things it was the usual food and bits used in kitchen, bathroom and laundry etc.


image from google freepik

Frugal things

  • Mended tiny holes in two pairs of leggings and turned over the waistband of another pair and put in new elastic - making all three last a while longer.
  • Still mixing milk half and half with water
  • Birthday/family Christmas cards from car boot sale for 20p each
  • Reading library books for free
  • Home made curries when the family were all here for a meal
  • Used two tins of tomatoes, two onions etc and the Value Range white fish to make 7 portions of curry for the freezer- costing a lot less than £1 a portion - replacing those used for family.
  • Never using first class stamps
  • No make up etc bought
  • Finding birthday cards from car-boot sales for 20p each.
  • Only used tumble dryer twice all month
  • Bread-maker for home made bread
  • No lights needed in the morning now and only small reading light used in evenings
Out of the house have gone a few more books, large old towel and a tunic top that was too big - all off to charity shop.

And so we go into May and it's a Holiday Weekend with May Day Monday and I've volunteered to sell entry tickets to a village event for a couple of hours so I hope the weather is decent (I'll write about that next week)
On the financial front there is a birthday and the breakdown insurance is due. I have some outings planned too and I really must Not buy any more plants - unless the squash seeds I've sown are a complete fail!

I'll be back Tuesday.
Sue

22 comments:

  1. It's not easy to keep the spending low with all the prices rises, is it? It looks as if you're doing as well as possible though. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see fuel prices dropping at the pumps at last

      Delete
  2. It is good how you remember all these things. My spring spend always includes some clothes. This year a dress and shoes, not the biggest spender out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The accounts book keeps me on the straight and narrow even if I don't really need to keep such a close check on it now - it's a habit

      Delete
  3. Eon cheekily told us our payments would begin again despite them holding over £400 credit. We have asked for it back, cheeky beggars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been nice phoning in my meter reading each month and still being in credit.

      Delete
  4. The year seems to be speeding up. It seems like only yesterday that I was reading your end of March post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's frightening - and May will fly by with 3 bank holidays

      Delete
  5. Nice to feel the warmth of the sun once again. Washing is drying quickly out on the line. I'm pleased to be waking up in daylight. Yes Spring is well and truly here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bedroom faces almost east so the sun comes in even with black out curtains and gets me up nice and early to enjoy it

      Delete
  6. I like your monthly reckoning of finances. I don't do it literally, but I know where I am in general. One item hardly ever happens here -- new clothes! I get attached and wear them for years and years. I do repair though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I may need some more t-shirts this year especially if we get a hot summer but not much else needed

      Delete
  7. I'm curious about stamps. First class stamps get your mail treated differently? How does that work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First class post is supposed to get where it's going by the next day - priority post, second class might take 3 days or so - depending where it's going - but the difference in stamp price is now huge!
      All done by machines in the Post Office sorting offices

      Delete
  8. The annoying gif has now moved down off my screen. This chap appears to be following hundreds if not thousands of blogs and I recognise the name as being that of a prolific spammer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You manage extremely well doing what you enjoy. Costs are still rising a bit but can be managed, just as you show. Your garden always sounds lovely and now that the growing season is here, we will all be outside tending our plants. Being near enough to your children to help out on occasion is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful to be able to have a few treats now after so many years with no spare pennies when the children were small and the mortgage was large.

      Delete
  10. Hi Sue I think you should put the gardening expenses in the health and well being column, definitely necessary, not just a treat! Weather starting to cool off here, particularly at night ,trying not to use the heating yet, wrapping in rugs to watch the Telly but my husband is starting to feel cold.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't you just hate gifs. Whoever thought that was a good idea, ick. I love your frugal ideas, I always am reminded to try to be more mindful. The elastic waists tho---all my everyday shorts fall off me. [did i lose weight? noooo...]. Need new elastic. I guess I will try one and see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not a bad month financially, it sounds like. It's sad that the churches have to be kept locked. They are really wonderful old buildings and lovely to look at even if I'm not religious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The longer lighter days are having a real impact on keeping the lights off aren't they. Even getting up at six it's daylight now and I love flinging the curtains open on a sunny morning.

    ReplyDelete