Thursday 13 April 2023

The Big Art Exhibition

 Every Easter there is a big Art Exhibition at Needham Market Community Centre but I've not been there since before we moved away from Mid Suffolk to the coast.

It's always difficult to photograph paintings with light shining in from the roof lights onto glass. Below are photos of just a few of my favourites. I didn't buy a catalogue so can't tell you the artists and how much they were selling for.

A collection of nature paintings in watercolours



Not sure what the one below is but the colours were good - better in real life


One small part below - mainly animals and birds


Some good colours and reflection in the large painting below


Pen and ink and watercolour



Very unusual painting below - with a moving boat


Loved this owl - it's cleverly done with paper collage that had been painted with watercolours


Very  detailed paintings  of Harleston Church on the Left and Needham Market Church on the right


Loved this view of boats - someone had already bought it


A very different idea below of watercolour done on an O.S Map of the area. Red dot again meaning it had been sold. There were a few done like this - I'm not really sure it works.




Colin bought me this oil painting for my birthday at this Art Exhibition in around 1990. It's the first proper painting we had ever owned.  Tiny cricketers on a village green.



Back Tomorrow
Sue

34 comments:

  1. The second picture looks to me like a stylised Ginko Biloba tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have spent £2 on a catalogue as well as the entry cost then I could have told you what it was!

      Delete
  2. There are so many talented people around. I am in awe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, that's why I love looking at Art Exhibitions

      Delete
  3. I love the pen and ink and watercolour, and the owl. So many different styles of painting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is marvellous how people can create just for the sheer love of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to have a talent for painting or music or anything!

      Delete
  5. There is so much talent at these local art exhibitions. I always thought when I retired I would spend most of my time painting but with a mum who is 97 and soon to be 4 grandchildren I am always needed to help out somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find a way for lots of painting - it's a wonderful talent to use when you have it

      Delete
  6. I was looking at the paintings rather than reading the words. Saw the bottom one and thought “ooh I like that one” - then read the words above.

    I wonder if the house is painted on top of its location on the OS map? Quite clever if it is but I agree with you - not quite sure it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the map paintings were all on the right places on the maps. The one I've shown is the old Mill at Needham Market over the River Gipping - now turned into flats.

      Delete
  7. Some very interesting artwork there. I like the idea of the big house on the map, then joining up the main roads on top of the house. Clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The house on the map is an old mill now flats - there were a couple more similar

      Delete
  8. Thank you for the tour. There are some talented painters in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting idea the painting on an OS map. Agree with what you say about it but wouldlike to see it in real life to make up my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wasn't sure about it. The Mill is a good painting without the map

      Delete
  10. I think the map tracings suggest spider webs - perhaps furthering the idea of the old building behind them. Of course I could be dead wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely exhibition - I like your Cricket Green scene too
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's moved house so many times but always has to be hung out of the light so often in a corner - as now

      Delete
  12. I love the picture of the old mill on the map. I've seen animals drawn on pages of books before but never a picture done on a map, what a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure it worked or not really. I guess someone who lives there might of bought it

      Delete
  13. Wow! So many lovely paintings and such a nice variety of styles and subjects. These are all done by local people? Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of several Art Exhibitions around that I like to visit - so many good artists

      Delete
  14. Your cricketer oil painting is outstanding. You chose well. It is great when a Community Center supports exhibitions featuring the works of local artists. Local talent is impressive. Everybody benefits from shows like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The artist was down as a miniaturist painter - we both liked it

      Delete
  15. #92 caught my eye as something I could try mixing watercolor and Zentangle.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The standard of art at the exhibition is outstanding. A lovely place to buy a piece or two that can be enjoyed in the years to come. Love the painting Colin bought you :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow what talent! The paintings are wonderful! Love the piece Col bought you. What a lovely painting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. There are a lot of lovely ones here and beautifully displayed. I would have enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Some lovely painting there. A talented town.

    ReplyDelete