Saturday 22 April 2023

Saturday 22nd- A Week in Suffolk

Don't forget to turn off your phones tomorrow at 3pm unless you want to be alarmed by the new Government National Warning Alarm! Goodness only knows what they are doing it for - preparing for the next National Emergency we are told. I think I'd prefer not to know! Conspiracy theorists are having a fun time explaining all the things it could be used for!

The weather has been more spring-like this week, although with some very cold East winds at times, and I got the grass cut again, several loads of washing dried outside (there's more washing after visitors!)  and seedlings have been moved out into the greenhouse now, although I'm covering them with fleece each night just in case. As usual there are far too many of most things although I only have one cucumber plant so far as I'm trying to stagger sowing and therefore production (if it works).

I've been 'watching' snooker all week, it's the World Championship from the Crucible in Sheffield. Always on at this time of year but something happened on Monday that hadn't happened before. Two people leapt out of the audience and one got on one table and chucked orange dye all over it, and on the other side of the auditorium a woman tried to glue herself to the other table. They were soon removed by stewards - apparently they were the anti-oil protestors? What idiots -hardly bringing sympathy to their cause from the audience and the people watching on TV.
Two days earlier animal rights protestors had broken through barriers at Aintree trying to get onto the Grand National course. They were removed and the race was held up for quite a while - adding to the stress of the horses and probably having the effect of helping to cause all the falls at the first jumps and to one of the horses having to be destroyed. There were certainly more fallers this year than for several years after the jumps and course were modified a few years ago to make it safer for horses and their jockeys.

I said 'watching' snooker because I tend to read at the same time and just keep half an eye on the score. I've really enjoyed .........


This is the third book of diaries from his second-hand bookshop in Wigtown, Scotland. I would love to visit Scotland's Town of Books again, but it's a bit of a trek from Suffolk! Last time I checked the library catalogue they didn't have his book "Seven Kinds of People You Find in Bookshops" but now they have and I've ordered it. If you enjoy rootling around through second-hand books you would probably enjoy reading these.

I learned another reason for not wanting to have an electricity smart meter this week - apparently a smart meter can be altered to a pre-payment meter  making people pay in advance for their electric - without the customer knowing! I knew I was doing the right thing refusing one for as long as possible!

There was a special Parish Council meeting on Wednesday evening and I went along to add my objection to an application for building of stables on a piece of land across the road. The access they want is on a sharp corner and no one can understand why they didn't apply for permission  earlier when they got permission to build two new bungalows just along the road. Will they want to turn the stables into a house later? Creeping Planning Permission can be a problem. The Parish Council have refused permission, unfortunately the District Council could over-ride that - We all wait to see what happens next.

Anything else of note happened? Keep Moving Group, swimming, shopping and found this in old comments
Dear Sue - I'm not sure if you'll ever see this, but many moons ago you were kind enough to review my first book (as above) - A Hidden Home in the Gwydir Forest - and several of your followers made comments and hopefully read the book! In fact, it's now out of print despite having been reprinted once. My second memoir is now out, and tells the tale of our next adventure in Malta. If you're interested, I now have a website with all the details: www.janetcorkebooks.co.uk
I hope you're keeping well and many thanks!
Best wishes,
Janet


and suddenly it's the end of another week............again.

Have a good weekend I'll be back Monday
Sue

17 comments:

  1. I believe passionately in the right to make a peaceful protest about something perceived to be wrong . But acts which endanger people and animals, and cause needless destruction are not part of that. Well done for going to the Parish Council meeting to voice your OBJECTION to the stables - THAT is the sort of activism which is important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only reason they used the Grand National for their platform was because it would have the most impact - NOT that they care about the horses - they clearly know nothing about them, and the impact hanging around once they are tacked up and in the parade ring, waiting to go to post. These horses are jumping-out-of-their-skin fit and full of anticipation and energy. The horse that died had never fallen in its life before but speed is what is so dangerous in any jumps race.

    I agree with your gentle objection to the stables - access on a bad bend is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my comment disappeared. Computer is playing up this morning! I'm with you on smart meters and am resisting.
    Creeping planning permission sounds dreadful - I'm sure it happens a lot. Planning permission round here seems to be selective - some truly hideous buildings are constructed, completely out of character, while others are refused. It really is a case of 'who you know'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're leaving our phones on! Years ago I lived about 10 miles away from the refineries of Milford Haven, and there were certainly incidents of the "Keep Windows Closed" sort, and several villages here are prone to flooding. Future alerts should be quite targeted to those within mast catchment areas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If there were to be a poison gas attack on the London Underground, for example, and I was travelling in London at the time I would be very grateful to receive an emergency alert call enabling me to avoid walking straight into it so my phone will remain on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm leaving my phone on too. In the event of ANY catastrophy I would like to reach members of my family if I needed to! A warning would be useful and I have no intention of listening to the conspiracy theorists, they love creating scare stories. As for the anti-oil brigade, how can disrupting a snooker match be helping? and as for their antics at the races well...it defies belief. The stress they placed on those poor horses....
    I didn't know about the smart meter thingy either until recently, although we had no choice in the matter as one was already fitted in the bungalow.
    Thank you for the tips on the books. I'll check out both authors as they sound right up my street!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not too worried about the phone thing but I'm due to have a FaceTime with my sisters at about that time, I'd better warn them we might be interrupted!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I live close to the fire station and on the first Saturday of each month at a certain time they run their emergency sirens. Poor Lizzie... Those books (and Wigtown) sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I only recently discovered I can have my morning wake up call even if my phone is on mute. It’s on mute because one of my relatives has a habit of texting at odd hours of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  10. very wet day here today Sue - don't you usually find a car boot sale for a Saturday morning?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our broadcasters (TV & radio) have a warning signal that is a buzzing sound. The broadcaster announces the signal and states, this is just a test. Our phones have no warning system. A phone warning probably makes more sense. Today is cloudy and cool with showers predicted for the afternoon. The damp, chilly air requires a coat. Hopefully, objections are taken seriously and the builder's plan is halted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the reminder. I will be turning my new and old phones ON tomorrow out of interest to see if they do receive the warning. They both are call and text phones only - they can't run 'apps' or show images and are normally switched off all the time. I dought the old one in 2003. I don't know if it will affect the landline.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was surprised you also had the emergency alert. We had it go off just before 5:00 a.m. this week. What a noise. I mentioned you on my blog as we had the same experienec. I disabled the feature on my phone.

    So sad about the horses. Also, thanks for another book suggestion :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the phones need to be turned off in settings to stop notification. It seems otherwise they get through to phones that are turned off.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here in southern Australia we get text alerts for bush fire warnings in summer They do not cause panic and probably save lives. Particularly as in modern homes people can be inside curtains drawn and coolers on when it's particularly hot and not notice how close things are getting. I believe they are looking to improve flood warnings in some areas as there was some drownings that could have been prevented recently

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow that sounds like quite the protest at the snooker!

    There's some planning protests going on in my part of the town. The owner of land really close to the nature preserve I walk in is trying to get the land rezoned to commercial use so they can build a carwash there! It is on a hill and the slope goes right down to the lake. It's already been declined once but they are trying again. Sigh. I don't think the zoning people really care and to be honest, money over here talks more than anything as the politicians seem to get kick backs all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I stopped watching the grand national a few years ago as I get upset at so many horses losing their lives. The faller in this years national actually broke its neck and was killed instantly, three horses died that weekend. I hear trainers saying the horses are treated like royalty, however for every one that isnt, or doesn't quite make the standard they are shipped off to be processed into horse meat for the continent.
    I'm not advocating what the protesters are doing is right, but I do think theres more to the story.

    We got the early text alert. Strange.


    ReplyDelete