Monday 11 December 2023

December 11th - I Had a Quiet Saturday in Advent

December 9th was a quiet Saturday in Advent, which sounds as if it should be the first line of story but sadly it isn't!

Goodness, it was a wet day here on Saturday. Plans had to abandoned as the roads were awash again so it was a stay in and do not a lot day. I got a letter written to go off with a present and all card writing finished. 

Vaguely opening cupboards to think of something for my main meal........ the home made things in the freezer are down to a choice of aubergine and tomato pasta sauce, Thai fish curry or pizza topping and I'd had all of them last week.............I saw a small tin of value range tuna. Aha, I thought, tuna, pasta and broccoli bake. So I made a jug of white sauce, put the pasta on to cook, opened the tuna and looked in the fridge for the broccoli BUT there wasn't any - I'd bought a cabbage last week instead! I can confirm that a tuna, cabbage, carrot and pasta bake is OK but really nicer with broccoli. It made two portions - that was enough - although I have to say the second portion - reheated in the microwave was better than the first.

I finished watching the final Harry Potter film on Saturday night. It was the first time I'd watched all 8 all the way through. About time too after all these years. I'm glad I'm 68 years old and not 8 - I would have been terrified.

This was the most recent addition to tree decorations which came from the maker at a fair in the autumn  before all the November Christmas fairs. It dawned on me on Saturday





that there's another glass piece somewhere, because last year, from the same person, I bought a glass mistletoe sprig.....it's on the blog here.  I need to search for it among the bags...... in the box...... in the cupboard.

Here's another start for a story.................

Once upon a time when I had 3 children, animals and no time, I made a wreath for the door, Christmas puddings, a Christmas cake or two, the mincemeat and then the mince-pies and Christmas crackers with small presents inside specially picked for each person.
None of the above are done now. The front door is adorned with the swag thing I bought second-hand in 2021. I don't like Christmas pudding but made them because Colin, his Dad and brother loved them. Christmas cake is too sweet now - no one really enjoys it, half a dozen decent bought mince pies will be enough  and Christmas crackers can be found at car boot sales every summer.
Once upon a time I sent cards to many aunts and uncles, grandparents and parents - they've all gone - except for one Aunty. I bought 20 Christmas postage stamps and will have several left.

I'm feeling old!

Back Tomorrow
Sue

31 comments:

  1. Don't feel old, feel proud and glad that you have taken' ownership' of the season and made it work for you! I think that is great.
    I hope you find the mistletoe - it's lovely, as is the holly.

    I find second day food always tastes better - the flavours develop. That's why I am making a slow cooked casserole today but having it tomorrow evening. It's all about flavours.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cabbage in a Tuna/ pasta bake was a bit odd but it made a meal

      Delete
  2. Same here, now we know how our parents must have felt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The family used to say "what only a tree?" but they've got used to it now

      Delete
  3. Sometimes I get Facebook memories from 10 years ago and I did SO MUCH. Goodness - where did that energy go? I can no longer make chutney because the vinegar fumes affect my breathing (and how I hate forking out for a decent jar), I no longer make either jams or jellies or chutneys to sell at car boot sales - they were a good money spinner when times were hard. I do a lot less baking. My housework routine, now I'm in a much smaller house, is more lax and no longer "It's Friday, time for the bathrooms" - we had 4 in the last house. I don't read anything like as much either.

    I gave up making Christmas puddings after mum died as only she and I liked them. I make the Cardiganshire Boiled Pineapple Cake when I want to hand round fruit cake. The kids don't care for it. When I had no fruit trees of my own to supply the fruit for mincemeat I stopped making that too and like you, buy mince pies now . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems odd for me to not make a Christmas cake. Used to like it with cheese and an apple. but taste buds really have changed.
      Half a dozen mince pies are plenty now - I used to make several dozen

      Delete
  4. P.S. Lovely decoration - hope you can find the Mistletoe too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No homemade puddings here either. And a half sized cake. Just a few cards for elderly neighbours, a Internet greeting for the rest - and a much gentler run up to Christmas Day itself. Lovely...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've still sent a few cards to people - I like finding nice cards to send

      Delete
  6. Your little Santa in the header and the glass holly are lovely. I used to be exhausted by Christmas when I was working as I’d have had parties, carol services, pantomime visits etc, etc. with the pupils at school. Now I have supposedly free time in retirement, I am very busy with voluntary duties and meetings. Norrie and I will have Christmas Day at home with simple food and our only offspring will enjoy Christmas in the sun as always. We are grateful to have food and warmth but mostly very aware that we have each other and in reasonable health. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must be a really busy time for teachers. DiL's school only have a couple of days off before Christmas this year for her to get her own things done which seems a bit mean

      Delete
    2. What exactly do you think other workers do? Poor teachers. They have to go back to work in January. Heavens how do they cope.

      Delete
  7. I also look back at energy and wonder where it has gone. No children or animals, but demanding job, difficult husband, major house rescue/renovation, full-on Christmases, parties, dinners, dozens of people to buy for. That's not my life any more, and I don't miss it at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I enjoyed all the build up but it doesn't appeal now

      Delete
  8. Your last paragraph resonated with me. I used to do all that: make a Christmas cake and a pudding, my own mincemeat for mince pies. And all when I had a very busy life. Now, as you find, the people I used to share these things with are gone and there's no need for it. I look back and wonder how I managed it so you're not the only one feeling old!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your "once upon a time" could be me in a former life, throw in entertaining on a scale that would make most people run for the hills! I would even bake the crackers to go with the cheese course I was that into it! How things change. Do I miss it? No. But I miss the people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe we're entering an altogether simpler Christmas regime - it's time, although the stores try their best to part us from our money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to like visits to the county town in the build up to Christmas with all the shops busy and decorated. But now they've mostly closed so it's not such a happy place

      Delete
  11. Christmas can be a melancholy time as it triggers memories of earlier days that went by so quickly. You will enjoy your family and that is what is most important - creating memories for those that come after us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mindset is, cherish the traditions of the past and make some new traditions. Like you, my family has shrunk. My holiday table was overflowing with family members and food. My circle is smaller but I insist on all the festive decor and food that I like. For example, no traditional Christmas turkey...it is prime rib roast which I love. Fewer presents are under the tree due to fewer people but the presents are still there and looking glorious in my Christmas themed boxes and ribbons. Yesterday was torrential rain and 60 degrees F. If this was snow we would be buried which I would love. Nothing is perfect but I can say I am learning to love imperfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought just the same about the rain we've had over the weekend. If it was snow we would be in a very white world today. But I'm glad it isn't as the country grinds to a halt when we have more than an inch and I have places to go!

      Delete
  13. Oh Sue, don't say old or I will really be old, because I am.. there's lots of things different in my life these days too and even though I might have poo poo them a few years ago, I really enjoy bought mince pies now, Christmas cake has too many calories, so don't eat anymore and the cards I send and receive are real friends, not just people, I feel I need to send cards to, Hope you'll meet up with your family for Christmas day and you'll be the Queen of them all! Hugs !

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's the same here, Sue. When my sons were growing up, December was a whirl of baking, wrapping, writing out cards (we sent dozens back then), making sure I had teacher gifts, treats for Hubs' to bring to work... the house was decked out for the season and there were Christmas parties and December birthday parties. Now, at 62 in a matter of days, I mailed 18 Christmas cards. No piles of gifts. In fact, no Christmas tree yet this year! Unlike you, we have no grandchildren. Yet I'm still enjoying the season in a quieter, more reflective way, focused more on the reason for the season.
    --Elise

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that ornament. I know what you mean about feeling old. I used to make all kinds of things leading up to Christmas, homemade jams and sweets and cookies. Not anymore. lol. I think the excitement of Christmas is seeing joy on the children's faces. We don't have any young ones hear yet. Soon though

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I worked, Christmas was our busy season, and we worked 6 days a week 10 or 12 hour days. It was grueling and there was never time to to put together Christmas as I wanted, so now, two years after retirement, I do like being able to really DO Christmas. I find though that my baking is done in half batches, with just 3 or 4 types. We do not need a lot of snacks in this house.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I understand your feelings about Christmas now compared to when our children were young and at home. I did twice as much at Christmas then but now even with less done I feel twice as tired!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ha ha! Same here! So good to hear it's not just me x

    ReplyDelete