Friday 8 December 2023

December 8th - Winter Storm

  Another December poem                                                 

                                         While I have a home, and can do as I will,
December may rage over ocean and hill,
And batter my door - as he does once a year -
I laugh at his storming and drink his good cheer.

Anonymous words from an old English song - found in a book on my shelves 'Autumn and Winter Days' by Rowland Purton



I looked on wiki for pictures of winter storms and up came this painting by J.M.W.Turner from 1842 and if it hadn't told me it was a paddle-steamer in a snow storm I'm not sure I would have known exactly what I was seeing. The full title is Snow Storm: Steam-Boat off a Harbour's Mouth, Making Signals in Shallow Water, and going by the Lead



Turner was supposedly actually in the storm and said

I did not paint it to be understood, but I wished to show what such a scene was like; I got the sailors to lash me to the mast to observe it; I was lashed for four hours, and I did not expect to escape, but I felt bound to record it if I did.[4]
Although some people don't believe it as he was 67 years old at the time!


Back Tomorrow
Sue

19 comments:

  1. I wonder if he really did? It's certainly a very powerful painting, I think.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He must have done surely otherwise people at the time would have spoken out

      Delete
  2. I adore Turner. The first time I saw his work in the Tate I was mesmerised. When I saw his RA exhibition The Great Watercolours in 2000, I wept I was so entranced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The things people do for their art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He really caught the movement of the sea. I almost find myself tilting as I look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I meant to tell you that I like your sweet angel up top of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a cutie for sure - no idea where or when she came from - must have been a bundle from a charity shop

      Delete
  6. I love that picture! At first glance, I couldn't have told you what I was looking at, but with your explanation, I looked again, and there it was. The ship, the flag, the big wheel. That is very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some winter storms are blinding. I am looking forward to a good winter storm. Lots of snow and wind, whirling the snow around and creating drifts is magical. When the storm ends and the sun appears it is all sparkling sunshine on white drifting snow. Just beautiful. I also love your Christmas angel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can think of things I'd rather do than be lashed to a ship in a storm!! Obviously his experience was not a very pleasant one .

    ReplyDelete
  9. My home is right on the oceanfront and the Turner painting captures the fear-inducing impact of a bad storm. Not usual in December though, here storms are winter into spring, for blizzards, nor'easters, then the always scary hurricane season spring through November. As I get older I worry my wall of windows will blow in someday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy Moly!! I'm surprised he didn't die of "phew monia" !! He is a mesmerising painter isn't he.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome storm painting.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That painting certainly whips up the image of a storm. It looks like that sometimes here in the winter, when the snow is blowing and the wind is raging.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, beautiful painting, amazing courage!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete