Tuesday 19 December 2023

December 19th -Bits and Bobs and a Poem

There was a special one-off Christmas  car-boot sale at Needham Market on Saturday and I thought there wouldn't be many people selling - I was wrong. Lots of people there and many, many second-hand Christmas decorations and house clearance people. I went round looking for green things for the Christmas tree for next year............plenty of gold and red and some  not-Christmassy colours like pink and turquoise but no green. I was the last of the big spenders - a whole 50p on these four small snowmen and angels. They look like glass from a distance but are much safer plastic. I've put them away for next year which will be a silver, white and green  year - if I remember.


After the boot sale I called in at the Sue Ryder charity shop, where they always have a good selection of all sorts. I found this rather nice musical Nativity scene in it's box. Once sold by Lakeland - probably for a lot more than the £6 I paid for it. It plays Silent Night by winding the star and is made of sturdy Olive wood so will OK for small fingers. 


There didn't seem to be any Nativity Crib Festivals anywhere in Suffolk this year which was a shame as I enjoyed seeing them all in Felixstowe last year and in Grundisburgh back in 2018.


************************************

The only edible left in the vegetable beds are the Purple Sprouting Broccoli plants. Only one is upright, the rest are taller and leaning away from the fence. I picked every purple and almost purple shoots off the upright plant and just about had enough to eat. They were delicious. The plants that are leaning are way behind and should produce some shoots later. I'm hoping to buy a sprout stalk for Christmas although I heard on the early morning radio farming programme a while ago that there is shortage of decent size Brussels' Sprouts this year due to the weather and those I've seen for sale so far have been grape size. Good for people who dislike them but not so good for preparing them for people like me, who love them.

******************************

I've not been following Strictly very closely this year but caught up with the final and I'm glad Ellie won. A good finale I thought. The weeks seem to have flown by so quickly. The Christmas Radio Times arrived but I'm saving it to look at nearer the time. I heard that Olly Alexander has been chosen for Eurovision for next year, unusual for them to pick someone already well known. Hope he does better than second from last which was where this years very weak entry ended up.

***********************


And finally another poem from one of my Christmas books.

 Somehow not only for Christmas
But all the long year through,
The joy that you give to others
Is the joy that comes back to you.
And the more you spend in blessing
The poor and lonely and sad,
The more of your heart's possessing
Returns to make you glad.

John Greenleaf Whittier (1807-92)


Back Tomorrow
Sue

25 comments:

  1. you scored a real bargain with the olive wood nativity.
    Did you see yesterday's Bargain Hunt with the vintage Christmas ornaments?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sort of - with a 7 year old here it wasn't possible to watch properly!

      Delete
    2. I saw them filming that outside at the last Malvern I went to (October). I thought they were mad to pay that much for the vintage decorations but I was wrong. It depends which auction you go to - some are full of tightwads!


      Delete
  2. Such a lovely set - what a bargain! Love the poem too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tried the clockwork wind-up music in the shop and found it starts slowly and then speeds up - which is quite funny and perhaps why someone gave it away. Doesn't really matter

      Delete
  3. The Nativity scene is very nice. Funny about the speeding Silent Night, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those little glass/plastic ornaments, very pretty and the musical Nativity scene, what a find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dithered for a minute as £6 is more than my usual charity shop spend

      Delete
  5. I looked at these in Lakeland when they were for sale and baulked at the price. You scored a real bargain and I don’t suppose it really matters about the music element part. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonder how much they were and how many years ago

      Delete
    2. Yours is missing the shepherd and the three kings. When last for sale, it was £99.99 which is why I didn’t buy it!

      Delete
  6. That fresh picked broccoli had my mouth watering - nothing like eating it within five minutes of picking. Happy Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the nativity scene and the Tree decorations. The poem is thought provoking and moving.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 50p for 4 is better than £10 for one which is how much some are in the special Christmas Decoration Barn place

      Delete
  8. A real bargain both with the Nativity and the decorations. I think I've only been to ONE car boot sale this year. I do miss them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really didn't think there would be many selling at a one-off boot sale but got quite a surprise. Have to wait until April or May now

      Delete
  9. Those are pretty finds! I have the same stuff that I put out every year so the colors don't change each year. I have sweet memories of many of my old decorations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my bits have been gathered over 40+ years - and too many for the smaller tree that I have now. So I separated them into different colours then have different ones out each year for variety.

      Delete
  10. Now that is one awesome Nativity. I love it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great finds. I love the poem and wonderfully stated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful finds. I was looking at clementines and they are so small. I like to add them to trays I give to the highway dept at Christmas and eat a few myself.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely finds. That nativity set looks really solid. I really like that poem - it's so true!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your new nativity is absolutely beautiful! What a fantastic find!

    ReplyDelete