Sunday 17 December 2023

December 17th - Joy To The World

 This is another hymn used in advent as it doesn't directly mention Christ's birth.

According to the book 'Best Loved Carols' compiled by Martin Manser, this was written by Isaac Watts when he was just 15 years old. After complaining to his father - who was a Deacon in a Southampton church - that the congregation seem rather lacklustre he was challenged to write something that would rouse their enthusiasm. The hymn is based on Psalm 98 which tells the world to prepare for the coming of the Lord.
That it was written by Watts ( who wrote many, many hymns during his life 1674-1748)is well known but most references say it was first published in 1719.
The melody is usually the 1848 arrangement by Lowell Mason from an earlier piece of music resembling G.F.Handel's  piece Antioch. Although other people disagree - the truth is lost in time!

This version is sung by a huge choir accompanied by an equally large orchestra. The Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square in Salt Lake City, Utah


Back Tomorrow
Sue

13 comments:

  1. I think this is a really joyful carol - Watts was an amazing hymnwriter

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely rousing carol x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a happy one to sing and a great favourite. I used to mimic a peal of bells on the piano/keyboard between verses. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What musicians! What a choir!
    My mother used to tell me that when I was a baby I loved all music - except the more dreary examples from Hymns Ancient And Modern, which used to set me off crying. I'm afraid my taste in music hasn't changed much over the years - if only I'd had Watts's talent....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing re dition of this well loved carol. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isaac Watts met the challenge magnificently. I love this carol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir performing at Temple Square SLC is truly a spectacle to behold. As was the Morriston Orpheus Male Voice Choir in a scaled down version in St David's Cathedral!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Wow! Wow! What a magnificent rendering of this rousing hymn. I never knew it was written by such a young lad - how skilled was he? I'd have been unable to stop the emotional tears if I had been in that building with the choir and orchestra.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an uplifting hymn we need that in these times
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic. "Joy to the World" done with a full orchestra is outstanding. I've only heard it in church choirs accompanied by an organ or piano.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful! I have never heard it with a full orchestra before! You can feel the joy that young Mr. Watts intended us to feel.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We sing this every Christmas and the church resounds with it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete