Monday 18 December 2023

December 18th and Winter Reading

 Picked up from the library van last week were five books I'd reserved. Some others were on the way but hadn't arrived in time so they'll be waiting for me on the January visit.

I've already decided that January will be a quiet month at home in hibernation so these might only last me a couple of weeks but thankfully there's plenty to read on my bookshelves.



I'm so pleased that the earlier Donna Leon books are being reprinted as the library only had more recent publications until recently. I know I'll enjoy those and the other two crime novels but don't know about the Gabrielle Zevin book. 

Last month I  brought home these below and didn't read many of them. Just checked and it was actually only 3. Although I've used bits on the blog from the Christmas Carol book on the far right



The books read were the one by Ann Cleeves, The Castle by the Sea and The Memories of A Wartime Childhood. Why didn't I read the others? Well......... I started to read The Kitchen Front and it didn't sound right and after looking at the back of the title page discovered it was first published in the US - which explained the odd and wrong words. I got fed up with the one by Jessica Ellicott - it's written in a very weird pedantic way, like someone writing to a formula and the rest I just couldn't be bothered to get into them!

I eventually remembered how to get the DVD player connected up and watched Hope and Glory, which is a 1987 film about a boy growing up in wartime London. I really ought to watch some of my own DVDs again - maybe that's a plan for January.

Certainly no time for watching DVDs this week -it's a crazy hectic week with some overnight Nanna Duty, probably a visit from family and jobs to do including greenery collecting for the Solstice, presents to finish organising into bags and boxes as well as normal stuff like housework and shopping.

Many thanks for all the comments on yesterday's Joy To The World post . 
 
Back Tomorrow
Sue

16 comments:

  1. Everything goes haywire during these two weeks, good luck with it all and I hope you have all the 'me' time you need. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping the Nanna Duty goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be interested to read your thoughts on Tomorrow x3. It got very mixed views from my book club. I enjoyed it but several did not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow, altho, it is very different from most books I read. I will head to the library this week to pick up more books. This is such a good time of year to stay inside, keep warm and read, read, read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, no sense in reading something that is just not a good fit. You've got many choices and more to come as well. Your family is lucky to have you nearby and able to help with Nanna Duty. Children love the special care and attention from their Nanna.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finished Homecoming by Kate Morton this past week. It's a good one. Have you read any books by her? Pouring rain here today with lots of wind. Normally this would be a snowstorm for us but temperatures too warm for snow this time. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another interesting selection of books-I’m reading kindle unlimited offerings just now but now inspired so far. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  8. However well-organised you are (and I'm not!) time seems to run out as Christmas Day approaches.
    Like Catriona, I'm reading Kindle Unlimited - it's a bit hit and miss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you got to watch Hope and Glory, a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy nana duty! I think hibernating for the month of January sounds like a fine plan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you everyone above - have a 7 year old staying - she has too much energy - I'm shattered

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thinking I might join you in hunkering down in January. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. You might enjoy Talking Pictures TV on Freeview 82.
    I do prefer novels written at the time to attempts to write stories set in the past. They jar, the language is false and they have a modern agenda.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I plan on only leaving the house to get my mammogram and perhaps a bit of grocery shopping. January is usually one of our coldest months so sticking as close to home as possible just makes sense.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm planning on doing lots of reading in my spare time. I am here at Daughter's awaiting the birth of my first grandchild. The weather right now is okay but it gets really cold - colder than Michigan - and quite snowy, so I can't see myself going far once winter really starts going.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for the book post. I almost always find something new to read from your lists. The Norfolk crime series in this case.

    ReplyDelete