Friday 15 December 2023

December 15th -Just Another Winter's Tale

Just Another Winters Tale sung by David Essex is another favourite piece of music although it's only played on the radio at Christmas and not very often.
It was written in 1982 by Mike Batt and Tim Rice and was released in 1982 and got to #2 in the charts in January 1983.

This is borrowed from wiki  - Mike Batt explaining how it came to be.......

  1.   David Essex rang me late in 1982 - just after my return from Australia, and asked if I could write him a Christmas hit. It was already late October so we didn't have much time. I was due to be writing with Tim Rice the following day- and was hoping to develop my idea for a musical about the Aztecs...anyway so I told Tim about the David Essex request, and we started thinking of ideas. ... we wrote a bit of the chorus and two lines of the verse, and then when Tim had gone home I sat and worked on it, coming up with the finished chorus and the second verse lyrics.

I was a David Essex fan back in the day.


I think he still looks pretty good!


I can't sing along with this at the moment - too much talking with Rachel-in-Norfolk on Wednesday and yesterday with Pat C, my school friend from way back.

Today I'm at home alone  and will rest my voice all day........it will be very, very quiet............

Back Tomorrow
Sue

30 comments:

  1. A lot of my friends were fans of his, I was not, because he reminded me of my cousin's wife. Strange but true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was far too cool to listen to David Essex - or Mike Batt for that matter, though you have to admire someone who can sit down and write a Christmas hit to order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike Batt wrote some cheesy songs but I like this one

      Delete
  3. I was listening to Tim Rice on the radio yesterday - he has written some brilliant lyrics over the years. However, for me, Mike Batt will be forever linked with The Wombles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Wombles are making a comeback I heard somewhere

      Delete
  4. David Essex has aged well, I too love A winters tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't hear it played very often - there are so many Christmas songs nowadays

      Delete
  5. I love the song and still like David Essex! I remember years ago (1973, I looked it up), being in the car with my late husband and hearing Rock On for the first time. He said, 'This will be a hit' and how right he was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite of his is Myfanwy - the John Betjeman poem set to music

      Delete
  6. You seem to have what we always called 'a relaxed throat' - strange expression. I hope you'll be back to full power soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He’s still has the charisma and I love this song. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went through a phase of liking all the Davids ... Essex, Cassidy and Bowie, their posters adorned my teenage bedrooms walls. Bowie won out and remains a favourite to this day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had George Best and the Monkees - never could understand David Bowie - still can't!

      Delete
    2. David McCallum, during his Man from U.N.C.L.E. days.

      Delete
  9. You old romantic Sue, he was definitely dishy in his day, had a bit of 'rizz'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twinkly eyes was the thing that made him a favourite

      Delete
  10. Like Sue above, as a young teenager I liked all the ' Davids ' 😀
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never heard this one before. I only know "Rock On" by him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never heard these songs in the US. I do like Christmas music and often sing along with holiday music in the car. It sounds like you had good meet-ups with Rachel and Pat. One day of rest will hopefully restore your voice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes-David Essex poster on my bedroom wall when I was about 13. He had a bit of a dangerous edge to him...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that song...features in most of my seasonal playlists. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a lovely song, thank you for the explanation of how it came to be.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like this song. I remember it from my childhood.

    ReplyDelete