Sunday 24 December 2023

December 24th - Christmas Eve

 Come and Join the Celebration.

This is the happiest carol of them all! It was written for children but grown-ups can sing it too.


I first heard it at Cotton Methodist Church in the 1980's where my late Father in Law had been a member since a small boy and was a preacher/lay reader in the Methodist Circuit.  Our two eldest children went to Sunday School there before we moved away and we always went at Christmas.

From wiki...........

Valerie Collison (born 23 March 1933) is an English organist and composer of hymns and carols.[1] Her best-known work is "Come and Join the Celebration" for which she composed both the lyrics and tune. This was first published in Carols for Children in 1972 and is now performed in services throughout the UK. She also wrote "The Journey of Life",[2] popular in English primary schools as part of the Come and Praise hymnal.

I hadn't heard this anywhere this year until I popped into the Co-op after my car boot visit last week and they had a small choir of about 8 ladies singing carols in the foyer. I sang it all around the shop!....quietly......didn't want to frighten the other customers.

When T was for Treats in November, I didn't mention another that sometimes happens - depending on circumstances................. A bunch of flowers for Christmas - something a bit bigger than the occasional £2 bunch from Aldi.

The pine cones, ting and fir-cone were from one of the pre-Christmas craft sales and they've been added to the Asda roses, chrysanth's and ornamental cabbage hearts etc. All in the biggest jug on the kitchen window sill for me to enjoy.

Thank you for comments yesterday, the home-made remedies have worked and I'm up to 99% now!


Back Tomorrow - briefly
Sue

35 comments:

  1. I'd forgotten that carol - I loved it too and always taught it to the children every year. You've got me singing it now.
    The flowers, etc, are beautiful.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly is a jolly tune. A good idea for padding out your floral arrangement.
    Hope you feel better soonest. Happy Christmas, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dreadful photo of my flowers - they look better in reality. I usually go for red at Christmas but thought I'd have a change

      Delete
  3. This one is SO cheerful, I love it! But I'm afraid that while in another carol, we sing about shepherds "washing their socks", in this one, my family recall the Wise Men journeying, "bringing precious gifts from Lanzarotte".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're feeling better now, Sue.
    Blimey! I haven't heard that tune in years. Thank you for the reminder. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way it just jollies along and doesn't go on and on!

      Delete
  5. That's certainly an uplifting carol. My favourite christmas music, currently:

    Christ Child's Lullaby and Noel Nouvelet, both performed by Ancient Path (youtube) Also Good King Wenceslas by the Mediaeval Baebes and Serving Girl's Holiday by Kate Rusby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall have to go and look those up online - all new to me - except for Good king W of course. Think I wrote a post about him - I shall look that up too!

      Delete
  6. Christmas wishes to you Sue - and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat and very best wishes and much love to you for staying as well as possible for as long as possible

      Delete
  7. I’ve been following James Partridge on Instagram and he dies a show called Assembly Bangers. He’s doing Christmas songs just now and it brings back memories of Christmas in school which I did for 37 years. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember much about Primary School Christmases except we had a party - seems so long ago!

      Delete
  8. Getting to 99% is very good, the power of the chilli. :-)

    You really HAVE to take another photo of your flowers, I don't think that photo is doing them justice!!

    Happy Christmas Sue, to you and all the family. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a bung-them-in-a-vase/jug flower arranger they wouldn't look wonderful anyway!
      Hope you have a good Christmas too

      Delete
  9. I hope that you have a lovely Christmas Sue🎄 Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you are feeling better, Happy Christmas x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Christmas Sue from Jean in Winnipeg

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you're feeling a bit better Sue, keep toasty warm!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never heard many of the carols you have posted on here! That surprised me.
    Glad you are feeling better and hope you have a happy Christmas, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So good to hear you're feeling much better.
    Wishing you & yours a wonder-filled Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Merry Christmas, glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better! I do love Come and Join the Celebration! I only encountered it for the first time when I joined my school in 2008 and it was a staple Christmas song. We sang it last year but not this year!
    Wishing you a merry Christmas and hope all is well for you in 2024!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Merry Christmas. I am glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Merry/Happy Christmas Sue. I am also glad to hear you are feeling almost 100%. Those home remedies did the trick. "Come and Join the Celebration" is new to me. Yes, everybody should join the celebration. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you are feeling better. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete