Friday 22 December 2023

December 22nd - The Solstice and The Ogham Tree Alphabet

The winter solstice 

It's been over a year  since I wrote a post mentioning the Ogham Tree Alphabet. The only native British writing system devised 2,000 years ago using various notches on sticks. Each letter also corresponds to a tree and a month or a day of the year. My first post about the alphabet is HERE  after I found the book by artist Karen Cater.

The tree for the Winter Solstice is the Scot's Pine and I've been collecting photos of them.

Firstly in the village. I can see this one from my back windows. There are two planted on a green area in the middle of the housing estate behind . They would have been planted when the homes were built in about 1983/4 and are getting rather large.


At Needham Lake. This is a smaller and much younger tree, photo taken on a foggy day back in the spring.



And at Sutton Hoo when we were there in the early Autumn. Growing tall on the sandy soil there



These are the pages from the book that explain it all.






Back Tomorrow
Sue

19 comments:

  1. Do you know if Ogham was ever used on stone? I have a vague recollection of this. I know a lovely lady who was expert on this but sadly suffers from dementia so cannot be asked. I love your book on Ogham, you should write about it more often. Happy Solstice {which some are saying was yesterday and some saying it's today, confused}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to remember seeing Ogham Memorial Stones on my holiday in Ireland. But I may have got that wrong...

      Delete
    2. I looked online and there are several books about Ogham stones in Ireland and Wales

      Delete
  2. I love those illustrations. Scots pine trees thrive here in Wales but in the high winds we get regularly they often lose branches,
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look so odd as they get older with their tall straight trunks and so few branches

      Delete
  3. Fascinating, I love the Ogham references. The turn of the year is always welcome as we go towards lighter days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ogham alphabet was a question on TV not long ago - University Challenge probably - can't remember if they knew what it was or not

      Delete
  4. Scots Pines are the only conifers I like. I find pine forests grim; give me a nice beech wood any day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shortage of Beech woods in this part of the world - in fact there are very few woods at all - which is sad

      Delete
  5. Thanks for another interesting read this morning. We have wet and windy weather today and a broken washing machine full of wet towels. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no - why now - just when all machinery repairers are on holiday

      Delete
  6. You know about so many things that I have never known, Sue! My 7th grandchild was born yesterday (12/21). His name is Adam Liam DeBerge and I just realized that his middle name is an anagram for your AILM which is something we have never heard of so just a coincidence! I figured out that if he gets to be my age, he will see 2096! Isn't that amazing?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only know from the books I own!
      2096 - I wonder what the world will be like then?

      Delete
  7. I have seen Ogham writing on stones here in Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The tree alphabet is fascinating and all new to me. I've not seen a Scots Pine in the US. We have a Scotch Pine that some people like as a Christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We used to purchase a Scotch pine every year for Christmas when we got a living tree. That is so interesting that the trees were used as an alphabet.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never heard of the tree alphabet. We call them scotch pines here, and I always thought them pyramidal shaped, a popular Christmas tree choice. I didn't know they grew a bit unpredictably as they age.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Magnificent looking trees. You always find such interesting topics to write about.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd never heard of a tree alphabet! Thank you for sharing this and the lovely illustrations!x

    ReplyDelete