Saturday 16 February 2019

The February Library Book Photo + Halfway Through the Month

Here we are heading into the second half of February and I came out of hibernation on the 11th. It's always a worry in November, December and January because I begin to wonder if my gardening mojo has gone forever but there will be a day when the sun comes out, the wind drops and it's dry underfoot and I find that the pull of the hoe gets me outside. I started with the cutting garden and then  found lots of brambles growing over one of the shrubs so the secateurs came out too.  After an hour several odd jobs were done and that was enough for one day. Another hour on Wednesday and  the Hollyhocks were planted out and a small bed weeded. On Thursday  the raspberry and strawberry beds were weeded and I started cutting back last years dead stuff from the flower garden.Yesterday I cleared the big soft fruit bed of weeds and finished cutting back the dead stuff in the quarter circle.  I really have to take care of my back early in the season but just an hour at a time makes a difference . Got lots of tidying done in the garage too which felt good.


Another month and another heap of books collected from the library van, all books I've requested.


From the bottom of the pile...........first Jack Monroes latest cookery book.
Then four other non-fiction to read or just browse. I asked the library about getting some of the Dean Street Press Furrowed Middlebrow reprints. Lots more have  been published this year but they just ordered 2  by D.E.Stevenson- which  I shall be grateful for as I can't afford to buy them. There is another British Library Crime Classic reprint and also another George Bellairs has also been reprinted from the 1960's.Top of the pile is by Chris Nickson, the second in a series about one of the first WPCs.

A big pile of books went back to the library van and the ones I've read during the last four weeks have been  added to the separate page and of course a whole post about Tombland.
A few from last time went back unread for various reasons.........one had tiny print, one was from earlier in a series............... I'd read a later one and decided not to go back to the beginning to read.
I've still got the 3 in 1 book by Ngaio Marsh, must read it as it's been renewed  a couple of times already.

I don't add factual books like cookery books to my books read page but the Creative Kitchen was an interesting sounding book, and has some lovely ideas for possible presents. The photo-copier bit of my printer has packed up so I'll take this into the library and photo copy some pages to keep.




This week I have been thankful for
  • Lunch with son and daughter in law and cuddles with Willow
  • Books from the library....all for free
  • Sunny days to start gardening
  • A letter from a penfriend
  • A visit from my cousin



Have a lovely weekend whatever you are doing. I spotted signs for another Jumble Sale, so that's my plan.

Back Monday
Sue

29 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you've got out in the garden. We've done the same with that little bit of sunshine, it's made all the difference. Enjoy your library books and the jumble sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today was grey and misty, I hope tomorrow is better

      Delete
  2. The Creative Kitchen sounds really interesting. I hope you get lots of ideas from it.
    I'm starting to get the garden itch too - frankly mine is a mess right now and as it's getting milder, those weeds are going to pounce if I don't get on top of it soon.
    xx
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing I fancied eating! but some ideas for presents

      Delete
  3. The sunshine has been a real treat. Can't wait for some time to get into the garden I hope the jumble is good and you find some things you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A useless jumble sale but I went to a car boot sale and that was better

      Delete
  4. I'm feeling just the same about gardening. The sunshine is tempting me out.
    Our garden is small but challenging as it's up the face of a cliff! It's amazing how much work is involved though.
    I always vow to do a little every day but........
    you have reminded me to make a grateful list every week. I used to and need to start again as I’m really grumpy at the moment, rather like a spoilt child!
    I hope the sun shines on your weekend. Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Up the face of a cliff sounds very difficult!

      Delete
    2. It is! It challenges my calf muscles because I’m often working at an angle.
      I'm sure it's good for me.
      We were all given free compost bins a few years ago. I had to return mine because I couldn't find a flat area big enough to settle it. Sue

      Delete
  5. You have certainlybeen busy in the garden already and the sunshine makes going outside irrestible. My back has been playing up but that’s caused by too much sewing!! You always find such lovely things at the sales-happy huntinh today,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much to do outside but I'll get there in the end

      Delete
  6. Your have been very busy Sue but please don't overdo it. Lots if people saying about there backs mine has start bothering me again, I had a little walk and it does help a bit. Only did a
    Ittle gardening, I have been knitting some little chicks for Headstart a charity I am involved with.
    Enjoy the jumble sale.

    Hazel c uk
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jumble sale was no good - sadly. Too gey and misty here today for gardening

      Delete
  7. I well remember the feeling of satisfaction after spending time in the garden after winter and getting it ready for spring. The feeling of accomplishment and having pleasure in seeing the difference a few hours made. Slow and steady wins the race, so take care of your back.

    As always you have a good interesting collection of books there Sue. The last library I visited wasn't very big as it was in a small town in Devon before we moved to Wales and they didn't seem to change their stock very often. They now have a bigger library with a cafe I believe, but I haven't been in since moving back. The main library in Exeter was a 30 minute bus-ride away and with working I didn't get in there much, so that is probably why my knowledge of books and authors is a bit limited and I stick to the ones I know I'll enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good to get out working in the fresh air again - but it has to be sunny

      Delete
  8. Ooh Sue I must try DE Stevenson, will go to Woolwich library this afternoon.
    Your gardening feats are awe-inspiring. I always had large lovely gardens in Suffolk but now live in a small flat in London which has, very luckily, a communal garden. It’s nicely planted with flower tubs - maybe after Brexit we’ll have to dig it up and grow produce.
    Have a good weekend, thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D.E Stevenson books have been out of print since the 70's they are quite light and some are better than others

      Delete
  9. I didn't know Gretchen Rubin had a book out. I love watching her Ted talks on You Tube so I must investigate our library to see if they have that one. I too have ventured out into the garden, its been lovely this week to see the sun and its quite warm if you're in it and pretty cold if you're out of it but nice to be outside again! Have a lovely weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is her third book, no idea what it's about

      Delete
  10. We have started to make plans for the garden but that is as far as we have got, still waiting for the weather to improve a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was grey and misty here today.Completely different

      Delete
  11. I hope the jumble sale was a good one. It feels good to be working outdoors again, doesn't it. I keep nipping out to Owl Wood to do half an hour of clearing, then I come back inside to do a quick set of back exercises. So far, so good. I haven't tackled the weeding, but I really should make a start because no one else is going to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jumble sale was a wasted journey but the car boot sale in the morning was better

      Delete
  12. Nice pile of books. The Dean Street Press D. E. Stevenson reissues just were released in January, I was surprised that a library could purchase and catalog any that quickly. Perhaps with luck they will get the other 3, or at least the remainder of the Mrs. Tim series, Mrs. Tim Gets a Job and Mrs. Tim Flies Home.

    Enjoy both reading and gardening.

    Jerri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very surprised at how quickly they arrived too, sometimes they have books on order for months before they turn up

      Delete
  13. You're sure making the most of the weather. Everything here is still covered with snow, so I'm living vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just got Jack Monroe's book from my library - after skimming through, it's looks like it's similar to first book but with some new and tweeked recipes. Vegan recipes also. Still same thrifty approach.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's surprising the difference even half an hour tidying and planting in the garden can make isn't it. And the best bit is stepping back when you've finished and admiring what you've achieved.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so looking forward to warmer weather, but we have a month or two yet to go before that happens. Think I will pull out my container gardening books and do some preplanning.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete