Monday 26 July 2021

Church Fete

 The next but one village from me had a Church Fete on Saturday afternoon, thought I'd better go and look, especially as the poster said they'd got a book stall. It's the village where I go to Big WI (although  I'll need to rejoin, but as yet they still have no plans to restart proper meetings).

Everyone looked so happy to be out and about and even the weather co-operated. The fete was held on the front lawn of The Grade II*  Manor, which for many years was a Christian Rest Home for the elderly.

Manor House Christian Rest Home
Picture from wiki - from the time it was a care home

Col's Mum worked in the kitchen there for many years. Now it's a huge private home (quite big for 2 people!). Nice to see the front lawn being used again - it was a bowling green in the 70's when I first became a Cub Scout Leader in the village.

There were one or two people there that I knew and I found a couple of books.



 

Everyone said how wonderful it was to do something so normal again. 

 
Summer of Sport 2021 update 
Blue, Colors, Competition, Event, Five

Olympics.........So far I've watched the last part of the men's cycling road race - (They looked so exhausted), the last bit of the women's ditto, one match of GB men's hockey, some more GB women's football, a bit of gymnastics, a couple of Taekwondo bouts with a Silver medal winner......and some swimming.

Apart from Olympics there is also cricket on TV which Col would have enjoyed. It's a new type of match of 100 balls for each team, haven't quite worked out the whys and wherefores except that it's city based and everyone looks as if they are enjoying it.

 Just editing to say - TV on early this morning to see Tom Daley and Matty Lee win Gold - amazing! Well done them. Tom's 4th Olympics and Matty's first.

 
 
Back Tomorrow
Sue


21 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved the one hundred cricket I watched on Saturday night and last Saturday I watched the 20 20 cricket - it really was a party atmosphere in the full ground with music and cheering and it was very fast based - I think they are trying it to get more people engaged in it. Well it worked for me! I couldn’t believe those cyclists _been going for over 6 hours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly faster paced than a 5 day test!

      Delete
  2. That's a lovely looing hall - it looks well cared for too. Were you able to look inside?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Manor gradually got run down after the photo above and stood empty a while after the rest-home closed so by the time the current owners bought it there was a lot of work needed. No there was no looking round although I did go in donkeys years ago when Cols Mum worked there - would have been in the early 1980s

      Delete
  3. I love the village fetes brought back memories when I was a child and had the garden fetes in the church garden such fun. The flower fairies will be nice for the G.C.
    Pleased the sun shone for your day.
    Hazel ๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒˆ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It used to be the thing for every village to have a garden fete and it was good to be out again

      Delete
  4. Shame about yesterday's Hundred! It seems to have poured everywhere except down here. I'm still getting my head round the rules but it's lovely to see families there and children jumping up and down with excitement. And they can watch it on television! It's worth it if it gets a generation interested in cricket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly looked as if everyone watching was having a good time although it doesn't seem to be on TV this week, I shall have to investigate

      Delete
  5. You found Hillbilly Elegy…I had relatives in the Ohio city where this family moved at the same time…when I read this book to review, I was surprised. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea what it was when I picked it up. Not sure I'll read it.

      Delete
  6. I've read Hillbilly Elegy. It was quite a saga. The author though has become a rabid tRump supporter after first denouncing him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only knowledge I had when I picked it up was a very old TV programme that used to be on years ago called the Beverly Hillbillies!

      Delete
  7. Lovely - already 2 Golds this morning when I swithed on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am envious that you had a village fete. Ours was cancelled again this year. I think there is a shortage of people to organise it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Sue! I am reading Hillbilly Elegy right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That home is lovely. I could easily have been a happy senior there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The good weather made for a perfect day for the Church Fete on the beautiful grounds of the Manor house. It is always nice to unexpectedly meet people you knew. I am also watching the Olympics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the flower fairies. I hope you like Hillbilly Elegy better than I did. The author is in a peck of trouble in the US for his Trump-supporting ways (he's running for office and wants Trump's endorsement). Earlier, he sort of was very anti-Trump and turned around when he decided to seek office. The manor is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hillbilly Elegy is about one family and not every family from Kentucky was like that. I was born and raised in Kentucky so I know about life there. It's a beautiful state with very friendly people. I now live in Indiana which is a state with lots of farms and the Indianapolis 500 Race. I enjoy all the photos and descriptions of the country side.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete