Tuesday 9 May 2023

At The Weekend

 Hope you all had a wonderful celebratory weekend.

Between ironing, odd jobs and gardening I half watched a lot of the Coronation ceremony, it's the history of the whole thing that I find so amazing....... to think how many Kings and Queens have been crowned in the Abbey. A very unique and moving ceremony. To celebrate I made scones and bought clotted cream but no special quiche.

In the TV studio someone commented that other countries have riots about change of Prime Ministers, deaths of leaders etc but here we had all those events in the space of a few weeks and no one rioted, no civil wars were started and the new King didn't have any opposition that could have caused any serious problems. I reckon all that was done in the past - 100s of years ago, so we know the consequences! I'm very glad to live in a peaceful country. (Although I didn't agree with the arresting of 50+ anti monarchy protestors . Think that could have been sorted without arrests and holding them for 16 hours)

I enjoyed the Coronation Concert on Sunday evening, would have been good to have seen more of Take That and less of Lionel Richie and Steve Winward - but that's just me! The drone light display was incredible - just how do they do that?

I had my first whippy 99 ice cream of the year at a car boot sale but it wasn't all that special so won't bother again from that ice cream van. 
Two better purchases were made. One was a tray of 6 gherkin plants. (6 is five more than I have room for so will need to find a different place to grow them!) I seem to remember trying them from seed myself one year and ended up with not a lot of gherkins - a bit silly pickling one at a time! Hopefully 6 plants will give me a few more.
I also came home from the boot-sale with this for the garden. Rather pleased with him and stood him among the plants but then I read he shouldn't be straight onto the soil so I found a small square slab from out the front and now he is between the Lady's Mantle looking good.






Back Tomorrow
Sue

29 comments:

  1. I felt the same as you about the coronation - impressive and so, so rooted in history. The music was amazing too.
    The concert was OK - I'd have liked more of the choirs, especially the massed one, and to have seen lots more of the signing, but that would have meant other group were not shown so much so fair enough.
    I have the programme about the choir recorded so am looking forward to that.

    Have a lovely day. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I half watched the programme about the choir when it was on - all seemed to be done in a rush

      Delete
  2. Years ago I remember a friend from the US saying she envied the constancy of the monarchy as opposed to the ever changing politicians, prime ministers and presidents, which can seem like a soap opera. "you have Palace, we just have Dallas".... Now I wonder if Trump modelled himself on J R Ewing.
    I like your sculpture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the whole population of the USA to choose from their choices always seem controversial - I'm Happy to live here without presidents!

      Delete
    2. Not the whole population! You have to be born here, qualify by age and nowadays be very wealthy and well connected to have a hope. It narrows down to a handful of white males in practice. Rarely does anyone female or of color get a hearing. A lot of opposition to Biden for a second term is prejudice against Kamala shock, horror a woman (!) of color(!). I will vote for her in a heartbeat. She's highly competent. Sos he.

      Delete
  3. I was disappointed in the concert, there were good bits, but not enough UK artist, I thought Lionel Richie looked awful, far too much surgery on his face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the UK artists approached were on tour and could not break commitments arranged months or even years ago. Many are still catching up with tour dates missed because of Covid. Notice for the Coronation date was short.

      Delete
    2. I think the concert was an afterthought - Never mind - the crowds had a good time

      Delete
  4. I didn't see the concert but watched what we could of the ceremony and it was quite spectacular though didn't look at all relaxing for the people taking part and having to manoeuvre all those heavy robes around! I wouldn't want an elected president and one of a political party in charge our elected politicians as PM are bad enough to contend with and some of their bizarre ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad to be ordinary and not have to dress up for 99% of my life!

      Delete
  5. What a coincidence, I have just bought a head very similar to yours yesterday, along with a couple of new plants for the garden, see my blog post for a photo showing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've recorded the concert and have yet to watch it.
    Wow! Buddha heads are so popular now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My only other stone type things in the garden are on the patio - an ancient bird bath and a hedgehog/drinker thing so when I saw this I thought he would go nicely in among the plants.

      Delete
  7. I loved watching the Coronation. A very special event and so beautifully executed. I did not see the concert but am glad to know many enjoyed this too. Your scones with cream sound delicious. Your new garden ornament looks good and is another good find. Garden ornaments always provide nice surprises among the plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing nicer than a scone with jam and clotted cream.
      My Buddha head looks nice among the plants

      Delete
  8. The Buddha head garden ornament is very collectible and some are very valuable. Did you pay a lot for it? I'm not asking you how much you paid just wondered if it was a lot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not valuable and not antique but not quite new either I paid less than the plant stand and the 12 plates and the same as the bit of Moorcroft!
      They are my few "more than £1" purchases in the last 2 years!

      Delete
    2. Well done. It's worth Wombling at the carboot sales

      Delete
  9. Am in the minority here. I didn’t watch any of it but glad that people who did watch enjoyed it.

    I find it interesting that people say with pride “we British do ceremony so well” - I think it would be better for the people, especially the younger generation, if the British did productivity a bit better. Or keeping doctors in the country.

    Love the Buddha head BTW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect many people didn't watch.
      The good thing about choice!

      Delete
    2. That is so true. It does annoy me when people state their opinion as a fact

      Delete
  10. I love your Buddha head-you really have a great eye for finding things to enhance your garden. I didn’t watch anything to do with the coronation and had a lovely weekend doing lots of things I enjoy. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved the whole day, and the procession back to the palace was amazing with the carriages and all the troops, nobody does pomp & ceremony like us British… Tweetart
    P.s Your lovely Buddha head should face East

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry the ice cream disappointed. Nice find though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely find for your garden space.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great sale finds. I did not see any of the coronation I had to work and well life oh well.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I watched the Coronation from our hotel room in Cleveland at 5 a.m.! I loved every minute. I haven't seen the concert yet but it is streaming on my Britbox service so I'll check it out later this week. I love this -- the history, the pomp, the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete