Tuesday 30 May 2023

Baron Bigod

 This is the Suffolk cheese that started all the cheese tasting thing. It happened because of a comment that said it was someone's favourite which they preferred and I said I knew of it as it's made in Suffolk but had  never tasted it as it's quite expensive.  I was doing the Value Range Experiment at the time it didn't exactly fit in!

It's an Artisan Brie type cheese from Fen Farm Dairy on the Norfolk/Suffolk border which I bought from their new mini-shop on the Eye Airfield industrial estate.


I googled to find out more...........


The cheese is named after 12th century Earl of Norfolk, Baron Bigod (pronounced By-god). He was originally from Normandy, where bloomy-rinded cheeses such as Brie and Camembert are well known, but came over to Britain during the Norman invasion.


Baron Bigod is the finest traditional Brie-de-Meaux style cheese produced in the UK and one of only a handful of its type in the world to be made by the farmer on the farm. Beneath the nutty, mushroomy rind, Baron Bigod has a smooth, silky golden breakdown which will often ooze out over a delicate, fresh and citrussy centre. Baron Bigod is made by hand in small batches, very early in the morning so that we can use the fresh milk straight from the cow at the perfect temperature for cheesemaking. The mould cultures are added to the warm morning’s milk and it is gently gravity fed into small vats just a few metres from the milking parlour, where the rennet is added. The curds are carefully hand-ladled into large moulds, using traditional pelle-a-brie ladles and the young cheeses are hand salted and then aged for up to 8 weeks in a cave-like environment. It is a unique expression of the incredible milk of our free-ranging Montbeliarde cows and the diversity of our wildlife-rich grazing marshland.


Despite living among farms for most of my life I'd not heard of Montbeliarde cows - so had to google them too..... They are of Swiss/French origin from the 19th century.............

The animals are red pied with white heads and short horns, and of dairy type. Mature cows weigh 600 to 700 kg (1,300 to 1,500 lb) and stand about 145 cm (57 in) tall at the withers, and mature bulls weigh 900 to 1,200 kg (2,000 to 2,600 lb).The milk is particularly well suited to cheesemaking because of a high frequency of kappa casein BB variants, giving higher yields of cheese. Being of less extreme dairy type than modern Holsteins, the cows have lower milk yields, but better longevity and fertility and lower cell counts in the milk, indicating lower mastitis incidence.

and............. 



Photo courtesy of O.S. Montbéliarde, www.montbeliarde.org
The Montbéliarde is light red and white in colour quite similar to the red and white Holstein. They have a white head with a light muzzle and have lyra-shaped horns. The breed is renowned for tough feet and strong udders.

  







I don't usually visit the cattle area at the Suffolk Show but may have to go and see if they have any on show there this year!

I had my first piece of Baron Bigod as a meal with a pear, grapes and some home made cheese straws and it certainly is delicious.
Much more flavour than the other Brie-type cheeses I've tried.


I definitely preferred it to the Suffolk Brie from my nearest cheese producer and the Yarlington from Somerset.


If I want a brie for a cheese board next Christmas or even as a treat for just me I would choose this. 

(Apologies - yesterday I accidently deleted some comments - sorry - not sure what I was doing - not concentrating for sure) 

Back Tomorrow
Sue

26 comments:

  1. Baron Bigod is the business and freezes well. It really benefits from coming to room temperature before eating…it does tend to walk though!

    If you were any avid Archers fan you would know about “Monties”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not an Archers fan since what's his name fell off the roof!

      Delete
  2. That sounds delicious-so many bries seem to have very little taste! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much better than the other two recently tried

      Delete
  3. Can't beat a decent brie, sometimes they smell as if they have walked out of the farm yard themselves. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shingles has temporarily taken away my appetite Sue but that plate looked so very tempting. It almost jumped off the page at me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get your appetite back soon for something tasty

      Delete
  5. This brie sounds very tasty. It certainly is made with great care and precision. The cows are interesting as well. I am going to look for some at The Concord Wine and Cheese Shop (Concord, MA, USA) as they are probably the only local shop that might carry it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cheese sounds wonderful start to finish. It reads like an artwork, the special cows, process, even the time of day matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting to find out more about this cheese - a surprise about the time of day for making it

      Delete
  7. That plate of cheese etc would be Alan's idea of a perfect evening snack, along with a large glass of port usually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my type of meal that isn't breakfast or the main meal. Lots of tasty things

      Delete
  8. That's something that I've always wanted to try my hand at: cheese making. Bigod. That's a great name. I had to go off and read about that, as well. It has it's as French as the cattle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried simple cheese making especially when we kept goats but not anything that needs aging as that gets complicated

      Delete
  9. What a lovely looking cheese. I'm love Brie but loathe Camembert. Your discovery of Barn Bigod sounds wonderful! Michelle in Wellington, NZ

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Baron Bygod" sounds like a comic book character or a children's book hero! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A good tasty cheese better than the other Brie's I've tried so far

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed finding out about this cheese ( wish we had access to it here) also the breed of cows, which I'd not heard about before. Having it with fruit and cheese straws is exactly how I would have it. Granny Marigold

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds delicious. I think I'll have to travel to find it . . .

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do love local and artisan cheeses - it's one of the joys of visiting France that there are so many.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Does it ever strike you how carefully curated are the descriptions of some boutique produced foods these days? It seems to be developing into a writing genre like labels in art galleries. F had a friend who did an art degree specifically focused on writing those obscure descriptions about creative inspiration with the intention to become a gallery curator. The world is a strange place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read the labels on specialty beers! Flowery prose, full of words you never thought to apply to beer!

      Delete
  16. Interesting. I never knew there was such a cheese! I have heard of the Bigod family though. I remember them from history lol

    ReplyDelete