Thursday 25 May 2023

The Final Holiday Post

Sheringham on the North Norfolk coast is a very old small town but everywhere you look there is building work going on. Many of the small 'courts' that would have been fishermen's cottages have been replaced by blocks of flats and holiday homes. The place I was staying had been a semi detached house but by adding a small bit on the side half of it had been turned into 3 holiday let flats, with very small parking spaces. It reminded me of Aldeburgh in Suffolk where holiday homes are built in any small space.

Many of the older buildings feature the local flint pebbles.




One of the surviving small courts, with cottages all modernised



While in Norfolk  I bought some Norfolk Cheese to bring home. A small piece of Norfolk Dapple, which is a hard cheese. Had to google to find out more..............


One of the Norfolk Cheese Company’s most popular cheeses.

Produced by Ferndale Farm at Little Barningham, in Norfolk

The cheese is made using fresh whole raw milk – it gives the cheese a more distinctive, unique flavour; by using unpasteurised milk they are making better use of the natural flavours and properties of the milk

All the milk which goes into the cheese comes from one nearby farm – Abbey Farm in Binham – so that we can be sure that the milk is of a consistent top standard and the cows are kept to excellent welfare standards. If you visit the picturesque village of Binham, it is easy to spot the cows – they graze the land surrounding the 11th century priory.


 

It was very good and definitely had a different flavour to a regular supermarket cheddar.

 I was asked about going on holiday alone. Thanks to the 9 weeks in holiday lets before I was able to move in here I'd got used to the idiosyncrasies of strange homes, key safes, internet codes and odd TVs! I don't mind eating out by myself  and visiting places alone is fine.  It was the furthest I've driven alone and I was glad of the Sat Nav that Son and DiL passed onto me a while back. It helped at odd junctions and in Sheringham town.

What I found most difficult was actually just being on holiday and being so tired, I'm not used to being out and doing something all the time and couldn't always decide what to do and missed a couple of things I should have visited.
I actually like being at home so holidays won't become a regular thing and we've already decided that next year it will be a holiday with Son, DiL and the two grandchildren in the summer to the Isle of Wight.

Thanks to my lovely neighbour B who opened and closed the greenhouse door each day, the plants in the greenhouse were all fine . One of the reasons for going in May rather than later was because I knew it would be OK to be away from the garden for a few days.

Back Tomorrow
Sue

32 comments:

  1. That's the trouble with holidays, you try to pack so much in and come back more tired than you left! Great photos - show the character of the old properties in Sheringham. I imagine the taxing of 2nd homes is going to make a difference in popular holiday areas (Cornwall is awash with them).

    Have you been to the IoW before? If not, you will LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next year will be my 8th visit and yes I do love it!

      Delete
  2. Binham Priory has amazing vending machines selling milk and other fresh dairy products.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We aren’t really into holidays but now having a greenhouse, the right time has to be chosen doesn’t it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I takes a lot of watering in Summer - not sure what I will do next year but I'll sort that out then

      Delete
  4. Love Sheringham, stayed there a couple of times years ago at a friend's B&B, one of the lovely older properties. Mind you, ringing the doorbell when we arrived I got stung by a bee!! How very dare it, not a nice welcome! It's a lovely area with plenty to do and see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are several other places I could have visited too but 3 nights away was enough this year

      Delete
  5. I’m glad you enjoyed your holiday but the one with your family sounds like something to look forward too. Glad the greenhouse is doing well. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything is growing well even though we've not had much warmth

      Delete
  6. All that sea air made you tired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was certainly plenty of very chilly sea air!

      Delete
  7. Well done Sue...a well deserved trip I'm sure. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was time for a mini adventure but nice to be home

      Delete
  8. I find that I actually NEED a day mid holiday when I don't plan anything and just rest up a bit. Then I feel fine for the rest of the time. So now I plan it in, so to speak.
    I think I do a lot more on my own. When I had the holiday with Suzanne last autumn, I didn't get nearly so weary and didn't need the day off. But then I wasn't driving and didn't feel the need to pack something into every spare moment. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With only 3 nights away I thought I'd better visit as much as possible while I was there

      Delete
  9. I have enjoyed your holiday posts and photos. North Norfolk is not an area I have visited. As Rachel said, it's the sea air that made you tired. Think holidaying with two small grandchildren will be equally tiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a bit breezy on that bit of coast although not usually quite so cold in May

      Delete
  10. You have had a lovely adventure and it is nice you didn't mind being alone on this adventure. I love the stone on the end of that building. But a holiday with your family next year sounds nice also
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plenty of time to save up for next year and at least I won't have to do any of the driving

      Delete
  11. I don't know why we think vacations will be a rest, when we fill them with destinations and places to see! But you seem to have had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to have a holiday and nice to come home again!

      Delete
  12. I can't imagine how long it took to put all of those pebbles up on the side of that house! Wow! That amazes me.
    I am glad you enjoyed your fun adventure! It always feels good to get home, tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are hundreds of houses in Norfolk covered with flints - it must have employed lots of people in the past

      Delete
  13. I have enjoyed reading your holiday posts. All those names are so familiar to me through my late Norfolk brother-in-law. He was born in East Dereham, and after a long time in Kent, latterly lived in Blakeney, Cley and Holt. Sad to realise I shall never hear his lovely rich Norfolk accent again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day I must go further west along the Norfolk coast - didn't go that direction this time

      Delete
  14. What are the round cheese biscuit things that look more like ravioli?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home made water biscuits - no flavour to distract from the cheese flavour - when it has some!

      Delete
  15. You've had a very nice adventure and I loved reading about it and seeing all your photos. Next year at the Isle of Wright sounds equally wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a nice trip you have had. I have loved seeing your adventures and reading about the different cheeses.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A good vacation does wear a body out. We come back home to rest up! Looks like a wonderful trip. I think you're very brave to head off on your own. I've always been with others. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It sounds like you are a fearless solo traveler. Good for you. I think you know you've really been on holiday when you are good and tired each day. I hope your days back home are as restful as they are filled with pleasant memories of your trip.

    ReplyDelete