Friday 12 May 2023

Small Art Show

Thank you to everyone for kind comments yesterday. It's odd how 5 years can seem an age and only a short time both at once.

On Monday I nipped over to the nearby village of Old Newton to have a quick look at the small Art Exhibition, this is usually in the primary school at the same time as the Church flower festival but this year the village has Open Gardens in June instead of the usual flower festival and the art was in the village hall.

This collection of birds are all done by free style machine embroidery


The Alstroemeria below is Hand Sewn Textile Collage


I went back to look at this one below a couple of times and would have loved to have bought it - but there's a limit to how many paintings a person really needs!

It's pen, ink and watercolour and called Around the Farm



I also loved this below which is very unusual - made from metal pieces which are rusted or touched with gold leaf all mounted on a board. This was £200.


I've not seen anything by this local artist before. They are photographs that are lit in such a way that they look like still life paintings. - Very clever. There were several very similar.


This collection below are all huge photographs of mainly African animals although he also photographs birds more locally.




And this artist  below - Helen Maxfield - exhibits at most shows in Mid Suffolk. I love her lino-cut prints, she is very popular and these framed prints sell for £150 each.



Luckily she also has cards made from her prints for sale - they make lovely birthday cards and I usually get a couple when I see them.


And finally as it was Coronation weekend the members of the local art group had all done a small square each copying a portrait painting of our new King.






Back Tomorrow
Sue

29 comments:

  1. These are great. It is good to celebrate local talent. The King's picture is clever. But I feel sorry for Iris and Helen. Iris appears to have to paint the black trousers , ABC poor Helen just had a grey rectangle in the corner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clever idea, must have been hard to match at the edges in some places

      Delete
  2. Very nice and lovely to see different things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was fascinated by the photos that look like still life - a new idea to me

      Delete
  3. A good selrection of work at the small exhibiti on. I like the alstroemeria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Visiting these small exhibitions is one of my favourite ways to spend an hour

      Delete
  4. You have many talented local artists over there. My favourite is the metal horses piece and its sense of movement and speed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were 3 different metal horse pieces - this was my favourite

      Delete
  5. Beautiful work, very talented, I do love Charles' portrait, that's really clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always amazed at the ideas people have for their art

      Delete
  6. What a lovely exhibition using various styles to create beautiful images. We used to do the squares painting with our senior classes as an exercise in cooperation and teamwork-there were some hilarious results as you can imagine! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it wasn't a new idea - interesting to hear of your teamwork pieces

      Delete
  7. Wonderful pictures-I could buy several of them. Particularly like the farmyard scene. Very high standard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to look at all the things I could never do!

      Delete
  8. Really lovely art work there - thanks for sharing it x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to share the art exhibitions I visit - all small but so many clever artists

      Delete
  9. You have some interesting local artists there. That's a strong show. About how widowhood feels, when people ask me how long it's been, I say twelve years, but really five minutes. I know that weird telescoping of time. You've built a nice new life for your new normal. I tried to write this yesterday, couldn't manage it, too close to home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People are so talented.

      Thank you for being able to comment today - widowhood certainly is a strange thing to cope with - but getting through is the only option, isn't it.

      Delete
  10. I like Helen Maxwell's artwork you've posted. I'd probably buy many cards as I like to support local artists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At some of the small exhibitions there are several artists who sell cards made from prints of their work but only a couple here and I only liked the ones by Helen Maxwell.

      Delete
  11. That photography with the unusual lighting is pretty amazing, isn't it? I had a friend who photographed a dog lying in his gf study. Giving the decorating colors and the lighting, it looked like a Rembrandt painting. It was very striking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Local artist showings and sales are great places to browse and purchase lovely art as well as support local talent. I also like the farm scene in pen and ink. The hand sewn floral is quite a feat. I think about all the stitches it took to create this masterpiece. The lino-cut prints are outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lot of talent! It would be hard to decide which is best as they are each fabulous in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an awesome art show, so many different styles to look at (and be enticed by!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some really lovely work there. I wish I could paint but I'm hopeless at it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely art show. Such talent. I also like that metal piece, so very different.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Some wonderful paintings there - and that almost-still-life photo at the end which is beautifully lit . I liked the painting you almost bought too - the bits of blue make it pop and it reminds me of many an old farm in Hampshire, the sort that haven't really got enough land to make it viable so the old boys who made a living when they inherited it from dad, go steadily downhill and do a bit of this and that rather than proper farming, to try and keep going.

    Loved Helen Maxfield's work too - when I was younger I didn't like lino cut pictures - now I love them, and I didn't care for Art Deco anything, but now that has grown on me too. You can keep the mid-century stuff though!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Some of those works are absolutely stunning. I really would have been sorely tempted. That last one must have taken ages to assemble and such a clever idea. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great variety of artistic talent on display there. And I am duly impressed by that last group effort.

    ReplyDelete