Friday 5 May 2023

The May Library Book Photo

A nice lot of books were ready for collection from the mobile library this month..........all books I'd ordered online.


Oh dear, nearly all crime fiction again. I was explaining to the library van driver why I like them, she said that crime fiction are one of the most popular books ordered  - I think it's because they have a beginning and a proper ending and don't take too much brain power and are unlikely to make me cry.
Can't be doing with crying!

There are 2 new-to-me authors this month.....Katie Watson and Nina De Gramont. Also two Non Fiction - 'Winters of the World' by Eleanor Parker is subtitled ' A Journey Through the Anglo-Saxon Year' and that very small one in the middle is another by  second-hand bookshop owner Shaun Bythell -'Seven Kinds of |People You Find in Bookshops'.

Before I start any of these I must finish a Donna Leon from my book shelves that was started after I ran out of last months library books because last month I collected  just these seven!

I read all of them except the book by Clare Mackintosh which I couldn't get into and I've written about them on the separate Books Read 2023 page.
Very much enjoyed the new crime fiction books by Donna Leon and Elly Griffiths - I was left thinking that this was probably the last in the series about Dr Ruth Galloway.

Also loved  the book by Alexander McCall Smith - The Pavilion in the Clouds. 

Thumbnail for The pavilion in the clouds


 This is one of his stand alone novels  mainly set in Ceylon and starting in 1938 during the final days of the British Empire. Bella, a eight year old lives with her Father Henry - owner of a tea plantation - and her mother Virginia in their beautiful home high above the plains of Ceylon. Bella has a governess Miss White and the story really centres on the interaction between adults and Bella and Bella and her two dolls. After an unfortunate series of events Bella returns to Scotland for school. Years later the second part of the book is about Bella at University in St Andrews, Scotland and the guilt she still feels for something she did all those years earlier.

Back Tomorrow
Sue

19 comments:

  1. A great selection. I'm still waiting for the Donna Leon book - I think there are 400+ people ahead of me! The A M Smith sounds appealing, I'll probably request it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your library has lots of copies of the Donna Leon.

      Delete
  2. Some great choices there. I have been sent a stack of books recently by a good friend. However, she sits and reads all afternoon and gets through her books. I am lucky to get through a few pages at bedtime . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My reading is usually evenings - and I read really fast.

      Delete
  3. I think that I have read all of Donna Leon's books. I keep looking for a new one to come out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So shall You Reap is the most recent. I'm reading a real old one from the 90's at the moment

      Delete
  4. My reading list is starting to look a lot like yours as I use your list as recommendations for me! I just finished that Donna Leon book and am in the middle of the Clare Macintosh. I recognize several of the other authors you have mentioned. I am a mystery lover also! Thanks, Sue, for this monthly list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome - always good to share book ideas.
      I'm not sure why I didn't like the Clare Macintosh - maybe I will try it again one day

      Delete
  5. Is that a new Jacqueline Winspear book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but not in the Maisie Dobbs series

      Delete
    2. Just finished the Winspear - a new author to me - loved it!

      Delete
  6. Another great collection of books. Thank you for the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love winspear, the earliest books most. Have you read her autobiography? It explains a lot about Maisie Dobbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I've not got around to that yet - I'm not a huge autobiography/biography fan

      Delete
  8. I emailed my daughter, an avid reader, your lists of books read and here is what she responded. "I looked at her lists. Very interesting. She curiously likes much of the same general topics as me but in a different combination. She likes fiction books written now about England in the inter-war period (I prefer them written at that time) and she likes books written during the inter-war but they are non-fiction (I prefer fiction to make them more escapist)." Roderick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do other readers agree with Rodericks daughter? I'm not sure I do, not that it matters as I read what I enjoy

      Delete
  9. The Donna Leon and Elly Griffiths were both good reads, fun visits w ''old friends'' of a literary sort. I am guess Dr Ruth and Tedious Det Nelson will be back, because it is Griffiths' most successful series. I still enjoy the series tho I miss the more interesting history and archaeology of the early books.
    I always love your book posts, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are right about the latest Ruth Galloway novel by Elly Griffiths. She said last year on facebook when she was still writing it that this would be the last as she wanted to concentrate on other ideas but also said 'never say never' so maybe one day there will be more. Interesting to see a new Jacqueline Winspear that isn't a Maisie Dobbs, I really enhoyed that series. I love Simon Brett's stories too especially the Fethering ones, good if you want a light read:)

    ReplyDelete