Thursday 4 May 2023

Cornish Yarg

The next cheese I tried a couple of weeks ago on my Tour de Cheese was Cornish Yarg. A very tasty semi-hard cheese made in the West Country which is wrapped and matured in nettle leaves.

I got it from the Co-op who as you can see get it from a local wholesaler. 

"The leaves, which attract naturally occurring moulds are brushed onto the cheese in concentric circles"


"Once matured, nettled Yarg is fresh, lemony and creamy under its beautiful rind, with an irresistible crumble in the core."



I googled to find out more.
Cornish Yarg is produced by Lynher Daries in Ponsanooth in Cornwall who also make a Yarg cheese wrapped in wild garlic leaves and a harder cheese called Kern - which is matured for up to two years. Plus a cheese called Stithians, named after another Cornish village which is a softer Yarg but without the nettles.

Yarg got its name from a moment of inspiration. Bodmin Moor farmer Alan Gray first produced it in the 1980s after finding a 17th century recipe for nettle wrapped cheese in his attic. Spell Gray backwards and you have the answer as to how Yarg was named. 


The nettle encrusted rind is supposed to be edible but I tried a piece and didn't like that at all - a very musty/dusty taste. 

I wonder if the Co-op have the one with wild garlic leaves - seems like something I really must try.

Back Tomorrow
Sue

21 comments:

  1. I love the way these different cheeses are made up in other parts of the country. They are always a tad more expensive than normal cheddar but interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be an interesting tour of all the strange cheeses I can find for sale locally

      Delete
  2. So is Yarg sort of a trademarked cheese specific to one dairy? I am trying to decide what nettle leaves add, flavorwise. Maybe it is like bleu cheese where the mold is part of the flavor. I would be keen to try the garlic myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess so .
      Hope I can find the wild garlic one

      Delete
  3. In France I had a wonderful cheese wrapped in chestnut leaves, same idea as the nettle wrapped Yarg from the sound of it. I'm enjoying your Tour de Cheese

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what other leaves have been used around the world

      Delete
  4. My local Waitrose stocks both varieties of Yarg from the fresh cheese counter. Before comments arrive about how expense this supermarket is please note that you can buy very small amounts from the counter which is an excellent (and cheaper in case you don't like it!) way to try cheeses before deciding to buy larger amounts. Shop assistants are only too happy to shave off pieces of cheese to sample too. Lucky me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So few supermarkets have a cheese counter now. Asda have hardly any cheeses at all - Morrisons is a bit better . Aldi only a few and no Waitrose or Sainburys anywhere near. The Co-op have a few different sorts and we have one or two farm shops.
      Not sure how many types I will find

      Delete
  5. This is one of my Special Treat cheeses. I like the sound of the Ramson wrapped one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is the nettle crust as nasty as I found it?

      Delete
  6. Alan likes to sample all the weird and wonderful cheeses on the Booths cheese counter, especially when they wrap the end of day bits up and reduce them in price. I don't think he has ever had Yarg though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to seeing what else I can find. Suffolk Show at the end of the month -there might be some nice cheeses to try there

      Delete
  7. Your cheese tour is so much fun as you try out many exotic cheeses. I had no idea there was such a large UK variety. Your next family gathering could feature a cheese tasting platter along with the beverages, crusty bread and crackers. The cheese with garlic sounds really good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many small cheesemakers on farms as the price they can get for milk is so low

      Delete
  8. That's interesting how the cheese is made. Not sure I would like the nettle thing either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used nettles in cooking once or twice and they are tasteless but made a really nasty crust on the cheese.

      Delete
  9. I've just had (yesterday) the Yarg with wild garlic. The wild garlic was OK, I suspect it is the same as the nettle one, wrapped around the outside. However it is over the crust which, like you, I didn't enjoy. I won't be bothering with Yarg again, it didn't have a definite enough taste for me.
    The mature Cornish Gouda that I also had yesterday was another story. Yum, I do like a well flavoured cheese. A treat rather than an every day cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've had Yarg - I like pretty much any cheese but, like you, I didn't like the nettle crust. As you did, I thought it made a weird dusty taste.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love cheese and will definitely try Yarg when we get back on our travels. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a different way to wrap cheese. A nettle crust would take a bit of getting used to.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a new one to me. But you had me a lemony, creamy with a bit of crumble. I wonder what would be the appropriate wine pairing with that.

    ReplyDelete